Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feed ingredients in poultry diets

Improving the nutritive value of alternative feed ingredients for poultry

Published: September 14, 2011
Summary
Summary This paper discusses the use of alternative feed ingredients in poultry nutrition. The importance and limitations, particularly the presence of anti-nutritive factors, of such ingredients are highlighted. The results of a series of studies recently completed or ongoing at the University of New England, Australia, suggest that the nutritive value of such ingredients can be improved thro...
Related topics
Authors:
Prof. Paul Iji
University of New England
Follow
M. M. Bhuiyan
Follow
Reza Barekatain
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr. Zaib Ur Rehman
14 de septiembre de 2011

Very informative article about value of alternative feed ingredients for poultry

Prof. Paul Iji
14 de septiembre de 2011

Thanks, Zaib-ur-rehman. The various studies summarised in the paper will be published in due time. We just thought we should highlight our activities at UNE with this paper about nutritive value of alternative feed ingredients for poultry.

Paul

Suntorn Kakaisorn
15 de septiembre de 2011

Good article about the nutritive value of alternative feed ingredients for poultry. The product alternative ingredients in Thailand have very much and we have broker import for alternative ingredients and microbial enzyme supplements.

Prof. Paul Iji
15 de septiembre de 2011
I agree with you, Suntorn. I actually think that Australian producers should include more cassava in their diets, especially when cereal grains become too expensive or scarce.
Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
15 de septiembre de 2011

This article about the nutritive value of alternative feed ingredients for poultry is need of time, due to tremendous increase in animal production, hence feed production, there is great pressure on the conventional feed ingredients. At least nutritionists could try some new material to ease out pressure on feed materials.

Ganesh Kumar Dahal
Guybro Chemical
15 de septiembre de 2011
Silver lining for poultry industries if nutritionist could substitute conventional feed ingredient source or utilize alternative feed ingredients as suggested in this article as principal source of energy in lieu of cereal grains which have become costlier day by day due to shortage of supply. Thanks for the informative article.
Youssef Attia
15 de septiembre de 2011
Improving low nutritive feedstuffs for poultry diets in very important topic we have done a lot of work in this topic and we found very encouraging with enzymes and yeast culture and probiotic, thus efforts done in this area are needed espically in developing countries where feedstuffs are limited and elimination of negative impact of unutilized low value ingredients is urgent.
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
15 de septiembre de 2011
This article is very relevant for practical adoption by poultry investors-of the third world where the challenges of climate change and competitive demand on maize grains for human and industrial usages is pushing up the cost of livestock feed The findings of professor paul Iji on the prospect of cassava pulp inclusion as replacement rof maize by 15-20% is of , interest for economic analysis and profitability.Presently in Nigeria commercial layers ration sell at$635 dollars per ton (0.64/kg) Replacing maize by 15 % with cassava pulp will provide a cost advantage of 3% on a Ton of Layers marsh because cassava pulp (koko Gari} is relatively cheap in west Africa..The issue of yolk colouration can be further managed by the on going development of Genetically Modified Cassava (GMC) fortified with vitamin A at Root research institute Umudike in Nigeria Iam recommending that good linkages between prof Iji and Professor Makinde the Director of ABNE NEPAD in OUAGADOUGOUwill be a good synergy
Dr Muhammad Arshad  Manj
SB Feed
15 de septiembre de 2011
aoa ,everyone in this forum, it is need of time, a very high prices of ingredients shifts the nutritionists towards this idea. at last nutritionists have to do this.
Dr.D.Desinguraja
15 de septiembre de 2011
For India Concern we are using the Maize is Main Ingredient in Poultry Feed,But the same time we are using the Broken Rice , Bajra , Wheat as Alternate Feed Ingredients in the Poultry Diet as Minimum Percentage.During the Usage of Alternate Feed Ingredients we need Consider the addition of the NSP Enzyme and the Phytase to get full release of the Energy from the Alternate Feed Ingredients.
Prof. Paul Iji
15 de septiembre de 2011
Thanks for your comments, all. It is frightening what is happening with maize supplies. About 2 years ago, it was predicted that the USA will be using close to 40 % of its maize crop for ethanol production by around 2020 but that point has already been reached, 9 years ahead of the time predicted! The supply of other grains is erratic, with droughts and floods. Each area has crops that are resistant to poor soil conditions and pests, so it will be ideal to explore them. Although Thailand is the third largest producer of cassava, it is the number one exporter. It is doing well in cassava production but I think there is still great scope for the leading African producers, especially Nigeria and DR Congo to expand production. I think production in Africa is still constrained by political problems. Most of the output is going into human food. If production can be increased, then there will be surplus for animal feeding. Dr Adejoro, I will be interested in connecting with Prof Makinde. If there is someone like that based within West Africa, I would be interested in discussing this and other feed issues with him. I agree with you, cassava leafmeal may even be a cheap source of colours for the yolk, and if mixed with pulp will yield a higher protein feed ingredient. Cheers. Paul
Saif Ul Haq
16 de septiembre de 2011
It is a good effort, alternative ingredients should be searched either locally or globally due to extreme pressure on conventional ingredients and the growing demands for the biofuel industry. I would like to draw the attention to the cassava meal, its antinutritional factor like the cyanogens should be monitored while using the ingredient. Bajra(Pearl Millet) also has a good potential Indian SubContinent.
Ibrahim doudin
17 de septiembre de 2011
this study take very benefit for poultry section but in middle east the alternative product is not spread how can we spread this product
Prof. Paul Iji
18 de septiembre de 2011
Ibrahim: I believe that every region has alternative ingredients. I do recognise the limitations in the Middle-East, as I did my first degree in the relatively aride area of north-east Nigeria. That region had what was known as the 60-day beans, a very fast maturing plant that was very high-yielding. Even Dates have some nutritional value. Can they be improved in any way? Cheers. Paul
Vincenzo Tufarelli
Univ. degli Studi di Bari Aldo Moro
18 de septiembre de 2011
Very interesting and relevant article, my compliments to Prof Iji and others.
Saif Ul Haq
19 de septiembre de 2011
I endorse the views of Prof.Paul about the alternatives for the Middle East,if possible the oil seed group and legumes should be sought out and analysed both chemically and trials should be carried out to validate the utility of these alternatives. Thanks
Joaquin Armando Paulino Paniagua
Universidad ISA (Instituto Superior de Agricultura)
22 de septiembre de 2011
The topic is interesting alternative ingredients, but there is no alternative ingredients that produce the same results zootechnical as those obtained a diet of soybean meal - corn, we can enumerate amounts of by-products and alternative ingredients such as: molasses, cane siro, bran rice, dry distillers grains (DDGS) from corn and sorghum, palm oil cake, sunflower cake, bakery flour, meat and bone meal, poultry by-products, ect. The big problem is: 1-The availability. 2-Quality. 3-Variability in nutrient intake. 4-High in fiber. 5-High in NSP. 6-High in anti-nutritional substances. 7-High in mycotoxins. These and other factors reduce the production performance of animals.
Dr Jaydip Mulik
23 de septiembre de 2011
Respected Sir, I endorse the views of Prof.Paul about the use of non conventional alternatives for poultry diet. Looking after the bio diesel production worldwide, definitely time will come when poultry feed manufacturer's will face the problem to get the Maize & Jowar with a competitive rate and for that author suggesting to look after the alternatives from this time only so that we expect the bright future for feed industry. The matter is that how to utilize the same up to its maximum utilization level by destructing the anti nutritional factors present in that particular area. I really thankful to the author for providing such a valuable analytical data. Regards, Dr Jaydip
Prof. Paul Iji
24 de septiembre de 2011
I agree with Joaquin; alternative ingredients have a lot of limitations but we should ot forget that even the conventional diets have their limitations too. You cannot include wheat or barley in diets without microbial enzyme supplementation or soybean without heat treatment. Biotechnical companies are working hard to develop suitable enzymes for inclusion in diets containing alternative ingredients. Part of our focus has been to develop diets containing these alternative ingredients, and then see which additives are most suitable for them. Thanks for your comments, Dr Jaydip. Cheers. Paul
Joaquin Armando Paulino Paniagua
Universidad ISA (Instituto Superior de Agricultura)
25 de septiembre de 2011
Professor Paul a greeting from the Dominican Republic I was a professor of ISA university, we experimented with many alternative ingredients and added enzymes and enzymatic cocktails, we evaluated forrageras legumes, wheat bran and rice bran, molasses, cassava flour and others. When determining the cost-benefit ratio compared with soybean meal - corn diet. We conclude that the alternative ingredients and byproducts and can be included without problems up to a maximum of 10 percent. Only positive results obtained using phytase. In the future can be obtained enzymes that are truly effective and to maximize the level of inclusion of alternative ingredients.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister