Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Improved profitability in poultry production with combination of genetics, nutrition and natural feed additives

Published: April 20, 2017
Summary
Nowadays layer breeds show a steadily increasing persistency and prolonged lifetime production period. This is mainly due to genetic improvements but nevertheless, management and especially nutrition of the nowadays highly prolific layer birds need to ensure respectively support those benefits mentioned before. Modern layer hybrids are a four-line-cross with a long breeding history and show a ve...
Related topics
Authors:
Robert Pottgueter
Lohmann Breeders
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Neil O'Sullivan
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Khaled Fadlallah
5 de mayo de 2017

Thank you Dr.Robert Pottgueter for your article. What you said about pre-layer feed (quantity and timing) is that specific for Lohmann layers or for all types of layer flocks?

Robert Pottgueter
Lohmann Breeders
5 de mayo de 2017
The topic "correct use of prelay feed" is important for all high prolific layer breeds.
Vijayaraghavan Gonuguntla
Agrilife India
8 de mayo de 2017
Dear Dr.Robert Pottgueter, Thanks for the article which gives a better insight on the crucial subject of optimum production in poultry. Do you think that 1. In ovo nutrition 2. Neonatal nutrition 3. Benthic Algal Feed can assist to achieve this goal? Best Regards
Robert Pottgueter
Lohmann Breeders
8 de mayo de 2017
Probably yes - but I'm not sure and having no experience about these topics Robert
Vijayaraghavan Gonuguntla
Agrilife India
9 de mayo de 2017
Dear Robert Pottgueter, We were working on these new concepts and we seek your coordination. On hearing your email id, I can forward our product profiles relating these. Best Regards Vijay
Emmanuel Nwaotule
10 de mayo de 2017

Many thanks, Doctor Roberts for this educative and informative discussion. My comment is on pre-lay feeds for layers. As a matter of fact, I worked with Lohmann breed of layers for many years as a poultry farm manager and I discover at 16 weeks and 4 days, the pullets dropped some eggs. Since we needed more eggs, we changed to complete layer ration. The production increased with more egg, but between 22-28 weeks we experienced mortalities due to prolapse. We tried all we could do to prevent this situation but to no avail. The cause being anatomical incompetence of these birds. We were forced to cull them before time in order to reduce our loses. In fact, pre-lay rations are very important to be maintained between 16 to 20 weeks. This would give room to the birds to be fully competent anatomically to lay without any problem.

Robert Pottgueter
Lohmann Breeders
11 de mayo de 2017
Dear friends, start of laying with underweight pullets might be the reason of what you describe - you say they are "being antomical incompetence" I fully agree on this. For nowadays high prolific layers one need to realize a very good rearing, means body on target in regard to age.
Emmanuel Nwaotule
12 de mayo de 2017

Thank you very much, Doctor Robert for this information.

Mk Singh
6 de octubre de 2017

Thanks, Sir, for this educative and informative discussion. My query is about composition of developer and pre-lay feed.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister