Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Gizzard Erosions?! Help

Published: May 1, 2015

Hello, These lesions appear in broilers beginning with 20 days of age. It is random and exclusive to 30% of the farm not 100%. Initially I thought the black content (found in the gizzard and in the crop, until the duodena, but not in the cecum) was digested blood. Now I don't know what to think. The chick are not eating, not drinking, first with low mortality, now more... the feed is from the same place as all the farm, and every one is from the same hatchery, and treatments, so every aspect is the same in all the farm, except this. Why doesn't it cover all the farm, only 30%? and were did it come from?

See album: Black content and Gizzard errosions

Related topics
Authors:
Anonymous
Anonymous
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Profile picture
Author
14 de mayo de 2015
Mr. Dragan Ionut... we checked the feed quality on every batch. If it is a feed problem, why doesn't cover all the farm only 1 or 2 houses? or all the farms? so far it skipped 3 farms and appeared only in 2 from 5. why? Can you refer me to a lab that does mycotoxin tests> (except the one in Urziceni- already tried that one) ? Thank you!
Ing. Dragan Ionut
14 de mayo de 2015

I don't know if you already read this article. Maybe is useful for you.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03079457.2013.817665
Sometimes this situation can appear when the feed factory is buying small quantities from diferent sources ( and sometimes you can have oxidated oil or few batches with mouldy corn. Or a bad DDGS batch... If you can not take a sample exact from this batches is not possible to find anything. When I was seeing your post , I was thinking first time to proventriculitis , but from pictures is not very clear.

Hany Ellakany
Damanhour University, Egypt
19 de mayo de 2015
If the proventriculous and gizzard are filled with digested blood so the problem is not gizzard errosion Sorry, the case may be acute intestinal coccidiosis
Dr O S Alo
22 de mayo de 2015
Still on Gizzard Erosion, Differential diagnosis, 1)cyclopiazonic acid 2)Deoxynivalenol (DON) 3)cuso4 4)Acetysalicylic acid 5)Biogenic amines.(fish meal) 6)Rancid fats 7)tannin 8)Adenovirus stereotype 1. (9) Ibdv
Joy Ho
28 de mayo de 2015
Do you use meat & bone meal? Gizzarosine in overheated fish meal can produce the symptoms seen in the photos. Although fish meal is not used, could it be an adulterant in some other raw materials? The best thing to do is to stop using current batches of feeds and provide fresh feeds without animal protein. The recovery is quite fast, within 5 days the birds will be ok.
Joy Ho
26 de junio de 2015
The simplest thing to do now is to remove the feed and supply with fresh feed without any animal protein. If you can send the feed for checking of gizzarosine, that would help. My strong suspicion is gizzarosine which presence is not homogeneous in the RM used. Perhaps there was some adulteration of burnt fish meal in one of the raw materials?? That is why the best way to find out is to send the affected feed for assay of gizzarosine. If it is this toxin, the birds will start recovering once the feed is removed and vegetable protein feed provided within 2-3 days.
Slausgalvis Virginijus
28 de junio de 2015
Try exclude adenovirus version
Rony Ahammad
28 de junio de 2015
Hi fishmeal if added in the diet should be avoided to remove gizzard erosion or malady ;; sometimes fishmeal causes this gizarosine like ulcerative tissue
Surinder Maini
28 de junio de 2015
It could be an excess of copper sulfate in the trace minerals, or feed or might have been used as an anti-fungal, some farms/vets use it during and after outbreak of ND , while checking others don't neglect this aspect.
Aoun Khan
29 de junio de 2015
i think this could b a NEWCASTLE DISEASE ..............TREAT FLOCK ACCORDINGLY ..........IT IS ALSO IN CASE OF INFLUENZA VIRUS BUT INFLUENZA CAUSES HRAVY MORTALITY WHICH IS NOT HERE IN THIS CCCINATE FLOCK WITH MILD STRAIN OF ND IF THE PREVIOUS VACCINATION DONE HAS 7...8 DAYS BEFORE
Dr.R.S.Rao
29 de junio de 2015
Dear all, the Gizzard erosion is seen mostly in chicks at the age ranging from 5-11 wks of age. Mortality and pathogenecity varies.Majority cases showed their recovery in 2 weeks. Its now confirmedly considered to be an ADENO virus problem. Why so much worry.If the breeders are taken proper care this problem will be solved. Try to give more of potassium salts and antacids along with anti irritants. Hope many will agree.Thank you all.
Profile picture
Author
30 de junio de 2015
It was no recovery what so ever. Did not eliminate adenovirus because at screening => positive. So... we tested for fussarium that came out positive too... some clostridium (gas in the lower bow and fermented feed). I've discussed with some of my other colleges from OTHER farms in different regions of the country...they reported the same problem. we all had one thing in common... not the feed, not the farm but the hatchery. So... Thank you all for your help.
Dr Oyeleye Azeez Olanrewaju
2 de julio de 2015
Check for the ND titre of the flock. The fiber content and particle sizes of the feed should be reviewed.Increase the inclusion rate of enzyme and toxin binder in the feed. Dr Lanre Oyeleye-Bioku Yammfy Farms Nigeria.
Dr. Ajaykumar Mane
6 de julio de 2015
Gizzard Erosion are also related to biogenic amines, More common in feed with Meat & bone meal, fish meal, feather meal, blood meal or microbial spoilage of feed.
Danka Maslic-Strizak
4 de agosto de 2015
With the Gizzard Erosions should always be checked and early death as it might be a problem emerged in the process of hatching.
Loganathan Ramasamy
6 de agosto de 2015
Hello. Please check any pesticide toxicity in feed and organs which causes fragile liver and distended gall bladder. I think that the acid produced in proventriculus not neutralized and causing gizzard erosion and congestion.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister