Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Gizzard Erosions?! Help

Published: May 1, 2015

Hello, These lesions appear in broilers beginning with 20 days of age. It is random and exclusive to 30% of the farm not 100%. Initially I thought the black content (found in the gizzard and in the crop, until the duodena, but not in the cecum) was digested blood. Now I don't know what to think. The chick are not eating, not drinking, first with low mortality, now more... the feed is from the same place as all the farm, and every one is from the same hatchery, and treatments, so every aspect is the same in all the farm, except this. Why doesn't it cover all the farm, only 30%? and were did it come from?

See album: Black content and Gizzard errosions

Related topics
Authors:
Anonymous
Anonymous
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr.hashim Ahmed Mohamed
3 de mayo de 2015

Since feed is from same source for other healthy farm, mycotoxin should be excluded. I suggest your case either fungal infection as candida or adenoviral infection also you can suggest colstridium infection ( colstridium colinum)

Fred Hoerr
3 de mayo de 2015
I agree with the differential list above. In addition, check for transmissible viral proventriculitis. This could be mycotoxin hot spots going thru the feed lines.
Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
3 de mayo de 2015
I agree with my professors who said that due to mycotoxin -clostridial micro organism-bot their other probability their when the chicken starved they letter eating or when the ration formulation is not adjusted balanced nutrients deficiencies-also could be ha bend in case of increase fish meal in diet.
Abdelaziz Abdelfatah Abdelmotii Ebrahim
3 de mayo de 2015

I think you must return to the history of Newcastle Disease vaccination and examine other lesion searching for confirmation for newcastle, since this viral disease makes degeneration to RBCS and makes the blood more watery darken in its colouration.

If you vaccinate against newcastle with killed vaccine and live vaccine and the immune system of birds is strong I think you cant notice any mortility but the poultry will be off food and water and you can notice greenish watery diharrea and, in some advanced cases, like your case you can notice dark reddish watery diarrhea.

If you want to know if its mycotoxin you must examine the ration for mycotoxins and noticing the poultry when eat if scattered feed on littre and prefer to eat it from it. 

Thank you and good luck!

Henrique Marcos Borochovitz
3 de mayo de 2015

These signs remind me of  2 diseases: Clostrydium and coccidiosis (maxima, necatryx- only in breeding and pullets)

Dr. Vikram Singh
3 de mayo de 2015
Please check for the salt content in feed. Higher than normal limits will definitely cause errosions and increased thirst
Dr Wisal M.Khan
4 de mayo de 2015
Mostly it happen with High Mycotoxin level in the feed ,check your source of feed supply and change it for a few days or a week , further factors one should consider Coccidiosis and N.E.( Clostradial infection ) If you are preparing your own feed then also check the stock for Fungal species. The amino acids lysine and histidine if u using Fish source for Protien as during heating it become toxic too and may Cause the problem . check the Feed formulation Vit B 6 & 12 / E and Selenium deficiency and Try add some extra for a batch of Feed and check the Results . Also Never forget that some Time ND is also causing the Intestinal and Gizzard lesions if your vaccination is not so good or every time you face the same problem check it and for this Blood should be sent to good lab 2/3 Time /week for ND titeration if it happen with the same vaccine program followed every time . Thanks
Rauf Elahi Usman
4 de mayo de 2015
Along with all said above, check the Quality and Quantity of the Fish meal in the feed. Gizzerosine levels could potentially be the reason. While chickening the titers for viral issues, removing the fish meal immediately from the feed formulation could be a good advise.
Sachin Ganpat Thorat
5 de mayo de 2015
I think check the source of ingredients for toxicity and also think if source is of fish meal if is not good also check the storage conditions of farms and time from which it is stored then think over sudden change in feed type and quality again think over oil is used it is good source or not if this all things correct then go for next that any viral or bacterial infection. Wish u all the best for diagnosis enjoy to tackle the problem
Slausgalvis Virginijus
5 de mayo de 2015

I agree with previous colleagues´ suggestions but, in most cases, gizzard coilin layer health is related to duodenum - pancreas health its easy check after postmortem put together gizzards and duodenum loops. I don´t have a proper explanation but it seems that disturbances in duodenal digestion destroy some essential ingredient also vitamin absorption needed for coilin layer osmotic nutrition. Adeno, another frequent reason I see. 

Profile picture
Author
5 de mayo de 2015

I've uploaded some photos, maybe it will help. - the fish meal is excluded (we don't use this in our feed).
yes, we do prepare our feed, and we checked our storage (some discussion here) all in all, it hasn't changed since the last flock...same issues. I don't believe the problem came from the storage bunkers in the farm, but from the mill... Yes also taken into consideration adenovirus serotipe 1. If it came from the mill (processing factory ) why did it appear in only 25-30% of the farm. From a batch of feed we can cover some 40-50%, depending. Although farms between them don't share the same batch, they share however the same supplier. From 5 different farms with the same supplier, 2 of them have this problem (25-30% of a farm not all).

Muhammad Farooq
5 de mayo de 2015
Gizzerosine is formed by heating histidine and protein during manufacturing of fish meal and this act like histamine in stimulating acid secretion;Gizzerosine is almost 10 time potent as histamine in stimulating proventricular acid production and some 300 times more potent in causing Gizzard Erossion.
Mohammed alhajj
5 de mayo de 2015
check water and feed containers and supply for fungi and bacteria contamination.
edgar flores
Al-Watania Poultry
6 de mayo de 2015
Considering that all are the same except for the disease, i suggest this is an isolated case for that particular house. you can check the source of gizzard errosion- causing molds,in your feedlines.
Tiruvarur Subramanian Thiyagasundaram
13 de mayo de 2015
Please check immediately for Avian Influenza status. AI complicated by severe ND can result in high mortality with initial ulcers and later erosions in posterior portions of gizzard. I do not find this in any published literature but have experienced in some field farm conditions. The role of mycotoxins in feed might be a cause but the mortality will not be so high in broiler flocks but morbidity and loss of weight.
Dr O S Alo
13 de mayo de 2015
Hi, I think you need to take samples to the lab with a differentials of fungi and bacteria infections but not likely to be clostridia colinum .Nutritional reasons may account for the inciting cause but with peculiar management event facilitating it in the affected house. Pls feed us back with full story after diagnosis. Dr Alo
Kamal Eldin Abdelmagid
13 de mayo de 2015
In my point of view this case is atributed to high content of fish meal.
Kumar Paudel
14 de mayo de 2015
some kind of nutritional problem. should be related to mycotoxin.
Profile picture
Author
14 de mayo de 2015
For mr. Kamal Eldin Abdelmagid - we do not use fish meal in the feed.
Ing. Dragan Ionut
14 de mayo de 2015
Hello. "From 5 different farms with the same supplier, 2 of them have this problem (25-30% of a farm not all)." Check the feed quality. Do you made some mycotoxins tests?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister