Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Thyphoid Fever in Poultry

Forum: Thyphoid Fever in Poultry Farms

Published: January 1, 1900
By: Syed Anjum

I am poultry vet from Pakistan. It is very hot in Pakistan plain areas and mostly I observe typhoid fever in poultry farms. I use neomycin and furaltadone combination along with water supplements to treat fever and some times florfenicol salt to treat high typhoid fever, but in some farms this practice is not giving me so much good results as it should and I observe enteritis along with typhoid fever and give the same treatment along with probiotics in feed. But from some days not so much good results are coming. Could any doctor help me to increase my skill in the field? I would be very thankful.

Related topics
Recommend
Comment
Dr.muhammad Zahid Farooq
17 de octubre de 2014

Same problems I´m facing nowadays but no treatment is effective. You may use cipro

Recommend
Zafar Khan
19 de febrero de 2015

Dear,
First of all differenciate salmonella to fever. If it´s Salmonella then go for antibiotics and choose relevant to condition and diagnoses but if it´s alone fever which is mostly a tropical region problem due to nutritional or metabolic imbalance in other word due to mild or moderate liver problem,take a history and use metabolic enhanser like digestive and liver tonic preferably silymarin or amino acid base product or organic acids may be good choice but periodic use is requested say 4 to 6 hours a day, Multi Vitamins are also a good choice,
In short rely on nutrition rather antibiotics to cure fever for a longer time,,,,

Recommend
Dr. Hassan Kazim
21 de febrero de 2015
port belly is majorly indication in salmonella ......and death rate is high pungent smell out for chick and early chick mortality.
Recommend
Qaiser Zaman
Tanmiah Food Group
21 de febrero de 2015
Antibiotic sensitivity is best choice ..don't make just experiments ..
Recommend
DrArslan Arif
22 de febrero de 2015

All vets
to treat salmonella use cipro +amoxicillin. Also sulpha clozine sodium
Thanks

Recommend
Tumaini Tillya
7 de diciembre de 2018

Dr. Arslan Arif
Please, I want to know the exact amount of ciproflaxine and amoxillin that are to be used for typhoid treatment in poultry.

Recommend
Christopher Hettiarachchi
22 de febrero de 2015

Fowl typhoid which is caused by one of the two avian adopted strain of Salmonella bacteria, Salmonella Gallinarum. This can cause mortality in birds of any age. I have come across with cases involving broiler chicks, particularly during the first 7 days of inputs, broiler breeders and layers. First few days of input, direct culture from yolk sac, liver and heart blood on XLD (or Macconkey) agar will never miss if samples are taken from affected chicks. Experience with 18 weeks old broiler breeders, sampling from spleen (enlarged) will definitely yield positive results. Bronzed enlarged liver is most of the time, associated with fowl typhoid. Enteritis of anterior small intestine is also evident.

Small glistering colourless colonies on XLD plates result after 15 hours of incubation at 27-30 oC, few of which turn black after about 18 hours of incubation. All the colonies become black after 24 hours of incubation. API 20E miniaturized rapid microbiological identification system is a good tool for identification. During early mortality of broilers, amoxicillin is a good choice. All the isolates of S.gallinarum I came across with were sensitive to commonly used antibiotics in the poultry industry. When S.gallinarum infection comes with E.coli infection, treatment becomes fairly difficult; administration of amoxicillin with a third generation antibiotic such as norfloxacin will work well.

Recommend
George Joseph
22 de febrero de 2015
The environmental conditions in Saint Lucia is similar to what attains in Pakistan and other tropical countries. I would suggest that you adopt this production protocol which I have implemented with great success in reducing the incidence of enteric diseases in poultry farms on the Island. The protocol is as follows: broillers- poultry vit (a probiotic) in drinking water for the first five days of imput and repeat at week three and five for the same duration. layers- apply for the first five days and thereafter at three weeks interval up to fifteen weeks of age. If any enteric disease manifestation do a bacterial culture and sensitivity test to determine drug of choice. In the absence of a sensitivity test I will recommend the use of enrofloxacine and poultry vit after treatment for same duration two, three weeks interval and periodically during the laying period .
Recommend
Dr Bijoy Krishna Nanda
23 de febrero de 2015
Dear Dr.Syed,Fowl Typhoid is caused by Various strains of Salmonella organism.As Salmonella infection is wide spread through-out world & there is indiscriminate use of antibiotics,some stains of Salmonella are getting resistance to many antibiotics;so it is better to use combination of antibiotics with pro-biotics.It is observed that combination of Enrofloxacin,Ciprofloxacin&Colistin gives excellent results with least bacterial resistance & also prevents bacterial colony formation in g.i.tract.
Recommend
Dr Wisal M.Khan
23 de febrero de 2015
Dear Dr ... Salmonella first get the chicks from salmonella free flocks . strict bisecuity is an important . For detecting and confirmation sampling at DOC followed by socks swabs clocal swabs ,DOC droppings and chicks delivery Boxes sampling are important to verify it which group it belongs to .( There are also so many other sampling too ie taking the samples for the Hatcher Trays etc ) Further use from vegetable source ,and also heated treated feed will help to fight against salmonella . water source is also important and very strict sanitation is necessary to fight it , for this using of simple water chlorination in D/water is useful . During the first 3-5 days and last 2-3 days of Marketing using of Probiotics in D/water is an other tool to fight some products like SilkoPh is very good for it and having good results but use it according to its protocl etc ie water Ph is important .
Recommend
Honorio Moreyra Villar
23 de febrero de 2015

Here in in the South of Peru (South America) we are facing an aggressive outbreak of avian Typhoid (Salmonella gallinarum) after 10 years, sensitive to the aminoglycoside gentamicin sulfate injected subcutaneously with good results: mortality 0%

Recommend
Dr.Anjum  Munir
1 de marzo de 2015
Entritis also occure in colustredial infection....and Lincomycin + colietien give good result.in this case.... !st you have to differntiate either it is salmonella or colstridial infection.
Recommend
Dr. Mrinal Kumar Sharma
Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd.
30 de marzo de 2015
Does anyone have any experience in using bacteriophage formulations for treating and preventing salmonellosis? this is one of the safest and most effective solutions for the disease and is now available.
Recommend
Christopher Hettiarachchi
30 de marzo de 2015
30.03.2015 Dr. Sharma, Please can you describe the protocols how to use the formulation.
Recommend
Dr. Mrinal Kumar Sharma
30 de marzo de 2015
Dear Dr. Hettiarachchi, Right now I understand the product is not available in Sri Lanka. Here in India, the formulation is available as both feed additive and water soluble. It contains cocktails of multiple bacteriophages which have a cidal effect on salmonella. No chance of dysbiosis due to broad spectrum antibiotics and no need to use additional probiotics. Infact in a trial here in India we have found that this is an ideal canditate for replacement of antibiotics. initially we need to use high dose for 15 days in breeders - followed by 10 days a month programme. Brolier chicks from such flocks will have very less problems in the early life. later the product can be applied for 7 days in broilers from day 20 to 27.
Recommend
Dr Ajeet Kumar Gupta
30 de marzo de 2015
Thanks doc for info
Recommend
gregory christopher
1 de abril de 2015
Sir,pls advice on d current birdflu outbreak in my country Nigeria if it is ideal to stock birds now and d best way to prevent d disease from my poultry or to wait until d epideamic has subsided,thanks.gregorychristopter.gmail.com
Recommend
Andrew Sivaram
7 de abril de 2015
In farming conditions and environments where the chickens are constantly exposed to Salmonella and coliform infections, I highly recommend using a novel fat derived compound called 1-Monobutyrin (this unique molecule is glycerol with butyric acid linked at its Carbon-1 position). A Dutch company, Framelco BV has developed the feed additive and water-soluble versions of this compound. It has very strong antibacterial properties against pathogenic Gram-negative bacteria both in the gut and systemically. The program we use here is as follows. If the flock is confirmed to be infected with Salmonella, it is best to treat first with FRA AC-34 LIQUID in drinking water at 1 : 500 dilution for 10 days. This usually clears off the infection from the flock. Immediately after this, the flock must be protected from re-infection by adding FRA AC-34 DRY at 1 - 2 kg/ton continuously in the feed (use the higher inclusion for higher risk farms). For flocks that are not infected, you only need to add FRA AC-34 DRY in the feed at 1 - 1.5 kg/ton continuously. The advantages of using this compound is that there is no worries of drug residues in the meat or eggs, and till today no known case of bacterial developing resistance to it unlike the case with antibiotics. The product if desired, can be administered in conjunction with antibiotic therapy, and this will potentiate the antibacterial effects of the antibiotics.
Recommend
Muhammad Asif
28 de mayo de 2016
plz tell me ferver best medicine for poultry plz thanks
Recommend
Mac
26 de enero de 2017
Amoxill is the best
Recommend
kafiluddin
19 de agosto de 2018

Please tell me
Best saline for poultry farm.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.