Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feed for Broiler Performance

Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance

Published: February 9, 2007
Summary
Every year the marketing age of broilers decreases by an average of 0.75 days for the same performance. This trend is likely to continue in the same direction for the coming years. Nutrition plays a vital role in enabling this improvement. As the feed cost represents an expensive input (~70-80% of broiler production cost), the poultry producer should be aware of the dynamics of the feed in its in...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Sanjiv Malhotra
Avitech Animal Health
10 de febrero de 2007

Interesting article about Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance. Contact details of the company and the individual should be available for readers to establish contact.

Haronur Rashid
Haronur Rashid
11 de febrero de 2007

An excellent work about Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance. Minutes matter like amino acids, minerals requirements, etc have been emphasized.

Amatzia Eyal
11 de febrero de 2007
Hello . We use in Israel soupstock oil and no one of the other fats you mention. I would like to know if 8500 me/kg is right or shall I use 8200. In layer feeds I use 8700 and I do not know if I can use it or not. Thank you. Amatzia
Praveen Sharma
11 de febrero de 2007

Very good article about Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance. I read this article in India also. One thing about calcium hunger is that excess of calcium in feed will depress slight feed consumption, for ex. if a layer feed has 5 calcium, what will be the effect.

Pradeep Sahay
Avi agro marketing solutions
11 de febrero de 2007

PRADEEP SAHAY 

DELHI INDIA 

SIR, good article about Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance. I want to know how much protein is perfect in all three stages of feed. And about fat additives.

Zubair Karim Patail
25 de febrero de 2007

Assalam - o- alikum to every body. This is really a good article I read and try it to check our feed formulation it is therefore request you kindly inform about the role of APC in broiler feed formulation.
Thanks.

Dr.Iftikhar Ahmad Mashhadi
27 de febrero de 2007

The article Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance by Dr. K.R.Gunasekar is a good effort and an informative tool for the nutritionist to consider. The tables regarding Nutritonal Standard would be perfect if it is included the level of Linoleic acid and fat contents with respect to such higher levels of ME and amino acid ratio.
Further it would be beneficial if the season and types of houses should also be mentioned for such nutritient specification.
Moreover under the heading of Summer Management the author suggests to increase the fiber level in the diet but under the mentioned nutrient specification, it would be difficult to formulate the high density rations with high fiber level.Under these circumstances it would be beneficial if the inclusion of other enzymes for NSP should also be mentioned.
Overall it is a good article to achieve the best goal while considering the economic impact.

Dr Ali Ahmed
21 de mayo de 2007

It is a beneficial article for all involved in poultry nutrition. It would have been more interesting if the writer provided duration of feeding of prestarter, starter and finisher rations. Furthermore, it would have been more interesting if the author could quote rations for summer season as it would not be possible to feed such given energy rich rations in summer.

krishna Gangurde
krishna Gangurde
2 de julio de 2007
Consistent efforts of Dr. Guna for which I am witness in field since last two and half years. Most practical nutritionist and down to earth human being will show new avenues in nutrition for Asian open houses bird rearing where sudden changes in climatic conditions. Krishna Gangurde Avee Broilers Maharashtra. INDIA
Kolade Kehinde
Kolade Kehinde
8 de enero de 2008

Kindly advise on this. I am a small scale farmer in broiler production. Presently my formula for broiler starter is:

maize 500
full aft soya 350
fish meal 40
corn oval 34
bone meal 40
oyster shell 20
lysine 1.25
metholyne 1.25
indomie noodles waste 40

Dr. Behnam Saremi
CJ Bio
30 de enero de 2008

The paper was very useful. I would know about application of calcium salts of fatty acids (or fat powder) in poultry diets that is usual at present in Iran. I know this product is prepared for ruminants (esp dairy cattle), but in order to easy transport and mixing (in diet) is using, altough our experiments were shown CSFA had a lower ME in comparison with soy oil significantly.

Dr. M. Borji

Amresh
24 de febrero de 2008
Please advice me about the administration of protein percentage in starter, grower and finisher specifically.
Nwude Ikechukwu
Nwude Ikechukwu
13 de junio de 2008
Thanks a million!
Alabi Kehinde
Vetstock nig ltd.
1 de agosto de 2008

We need this formula to break even in profitability in this broiler business as the cost of feed is high.

David John Owsley
Anpario
7 de mayo de 2009

I agree that this article is very useful. I would like to offer a reply to Dr. M. Borji from Iran (under user name Behnam Saremi) who would like to know about the application of calcium salts of fatty acids (or fat powder) in poultry diets.

Firstly we must say that these fats will never have the same energy value as oils - which are 100% fat - but they can and are used as an alternative that due to it’s dry, solid form allows an increase in the limit of addition of fat to high-energy diets when the addition of more oil is impossible. We can count on a number of further advantages:

It improves the durability of the granule in feed (if pelleted).
Decreases the percentage loss of feeds (less fines/powder wastage).
As a solid source, it is possible to use in any production process even high temperature pelleting as it doesnt melt.
It allows storage and conservation of fat and feed for longer periods of time.
It allows a reduction in the level of addition of expensive oils to priming diets and so improves the subjective quality of the carcasses (longer shelf life in storage/shops).
It improves the quality of abdominal and subcutaneous fat, making it more stable at higher temperatures in the carcasses.
It does not affect the profile of fatty acids of intramuscular fat, retaining the succulence and tenderness of the meat.
It requires no special storage (no tanks, no silos, no pipes, no sprayers and no heaters, etc for application).
It does not go rancid and has a long shelf life.

All in all a very reasonable alternative, of course calcium levels should be adjusted as necessary as these salts are generally about 9% calcium content.

Joline Van Zyl
Meadow Feeds
14 de mayo de 2009

I would like to know more about the use of dry fats in broiler diets. Can you please send me information on specific products that are available?

Ramadhani Hatibu
Ramadhani Hatibu
3 de julio de 2009

The article about Formulating Feed for Broiler Performance is good, please keep it up.

Benjamin Kariuki Waweru
5 de abril de 2013

Dear sir ,

My main issues are about the raw materials fomula about the Dairy meal, Layers mash

Ing. Dragan Ionut
14 de diciembre de 2015
Interesting material I do like to ask a question for Mr David John Owsley: Is absolutely alright to use calcium salt of fatty acids in poultry feeding ? From my experiences i seen some problems ( low voluntary intake) when I use 1% calcium salt of fatty acids. From this reason the weight at 35 days will be with 100-150 grams less than chicks without calcium salt of fatty acids. I am interested for your opinion Thank you. Dragan
pratiksha shrikant kadam
15 de diciembre de 2015
Dear sir, i like this article.. i would like to ask u one question. Can u please tell me the role of AGP (antibiotic growth pramotor) in broiler formulation. Also which is the best AGP for use.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister