Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Poultry Meat Quality

Factors Affecting Poultry Meat Quality

Published: January 12, 2009
Summary
Before poultry meat quality is addressed, the term quality should be clearly defined as it relates to poultry. This is a difficult task, because quality is "in the eye of the beholder." For example, someone trying to sell a product might view its quality in terms of how well it sells and how much people are willing to pay for it. However, this definition is incomplete, because it does not consi...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Arshaq Ramzee
13 de enero de 2009

A very good description of poultry meat quality. Well done.

ibrahim ahmed
27 de enero de 2009

Dear sir,
The most important aspect of poultry meat is its eating quality.
This fantastic article is more useful for the producer, processor, retailer and consumer, all have specific expectations for the quality attributes of poultry.
Thanks.

Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
16 de julio de 2009

The author desrves congratulation for writing such a comprehensive article on poultry meat which is important for all from producer to consumer chain.While he has touched all the factors affecting meat quality it would have been further appreciated if he would have mentioned effect of type of feed given to poultry in different system on its meat taste.
Home grown poultry is considered to have better and acceptable taste by the consumers than the poultry raised in modern poultry farms with best possible available nutrition

Muyiwa Adegbenro
20 de noviembre de 2009

I appreciate the paper about factors affecting poultry meat quality. I will be interested in knowing recent methods in determine meat ph, oxidative stability, colour, water holding capacity and more.
Thanks

Cindy Bousfield
Cindy Bousfield
31 de diciembre de 2009

I work in a ccp position in poultry cooking plant , my question is recently chicken wings came cooked at a temperature of 86 o the meat inside after exiting the oven was white meat but after exiting the freezer in my plant they found pink meat . Now the meat went into the freezer white Why is this can someone shed some light on this.

Amir Attar
Javaneh khorasan
16 de febrero de 2010

i think eating poultry meat quality is more important and also appearance depends on the consumers for example in some countries people prefer to eat chicken meat with yellow skin but some people dont eat these meat.

Fabio Nunes
9 de marzo de 2010

Dear Cindy,

I just read about the wings problem. May I ask you please to contact me by email (fabio.g.nunes@uol.com.br) with some more info on the problem that I believe I can help you with a possible solution.

Regards,

Fabio Nunes
Poultry Processing Consultant
Brazil

Mark Male
ES-KO International
10 de marzo de 2010

I have just gone through the forum and Cindys worry as one in charge of ccp.

Well, a number of factors affecting the case come into play but details of the history still shallow.

The rearing system whether commercial or free range system, broiler wing or layer wing.These are attributed to the nutritional factors inorder to meet the bodys requirements. The eating quality of the birds.
Processing technique was the wing covered or open in the freezer. Here we should not undermine the effects of oxygen and atmospheric moisture .Remember, the iron in the myoglobin can easily be oxidized in presece of oxygen.
Are additives/ stabilizers like polyphosphates, hexaphosphates added. These stabilize the PH, reduce rancidity and mantain a bright red color.

Was there a change in the smell of the wing in oven and freezer?If yes, what smell?

I will contribute as much as i get the details of the picture.

Mohammad Al-HAJJ IBRAHIM
Al-Watania Poultry
10 de marzo de 2010
Some Companies use high chlorine water to discolor the carcass for good looking !!!!!
Ahmad Mahmod
Ahmad Mahmod
10 de marzo de 2010

it very benift article to the worker in poultry industry
thanks alot

Ganesh Kumar Dahal
Guybro Chemical
28 de abril de 2010

Very good article!

The article has covered all the quality attributes regarding poultry meat. Poultry carcass quality and poultry meat hygiene is of great importance for producers as well as consumers.

I wonder whether poultry fed with feed containing good antioxidants will help in preventing oxidative damage of tissues till disposal for all quality attributes of poultry meat?.

Congrats for comprehensive article !!

Neethiraja
Suguna Group
29 de abril de 2010

Dear sir,

The article about factors affecting poultry meat quality is good.

We need the which age of the birds will give better flavour,tender.

Regards,
A.Neethiraja
Coimbatore

Anil Nadgouda
Anil Nadgouda
31 de mayo de 2010

very good article about factors affecting poultry meat quality.
Still lot of work to be done on age, weight and sex can determine poultry meat quality.May be genetics can also play role in determining meat qualities. 

Thanks

Dr Jaydip Mulik
1 de junio de 2010

Dear Sir,

I am very happy to read and upgrade my knowledge on Poultry Processing & factors affecting the same.
No doubt every eatables demand is based on the customer satisfaction. Customer prefer good qualities in food like appearance, taste ,flavor etc as you have elaborated in your article.
If you could provide the distinguishing features or quality parameters of poultry meat breed wise then i will be very thankful because I'm confused about why in India the customers prefer to eat Desi birds meat over the commercial broiler meat. Is there any nutritional difference or it just taste difference?
Also due to the increased retails chain business in India, people now deviating towards value- added products than raw chicken. So if possible add a brief note on those concepts also. Kindly advice for better value additions i.e.which methods are better, which quality raw chicken should be used etc.

Ali Imran
2 de septiembre de 2010
Hi, This is all good stuff and help ful for processing industry which is quite neonate in Pakistan, but producer can get good infromation from this article.
Sadeq Al-maswari
27 de septiembre de 2010

Since the two most important quality attributes for poultry meat are appearance and texture. Although other quality issues such as juiciness and flavour are important. An understanding of the major issues contributing to poultry colour and meat tenderness is critical to producing uniform quality products.
but the chemical composition of poultry meat still of the high indicating index to poultry meat quality.

Dr Jaydip Mulik
28 de septiembre de 2010

I am really thankful to the Author of Article Mr.Julie K. Northcutt. The subject matter in the article has given me the direction to find the answer of questions.

So in short
1) Flavour of poultry meat depends upon sugar and amino acid interactions, lipid and thermal oxidation.
and
2) Texture(tenderness) depends upon the Rigor Mortisdevelopment period.

Thanks & regards,

Dr Jaydip Mulik

Dr.sohail Ahmad
Islamabad Group
29 de septiembre de 2010

The language of this article is very simple and good. Factors that determine the overall quality of meat are known as: eating quality, convenience, stability, wholesomeness and nutritive value.
Poultry is unique because mussels are dramatically extreme in colour. Breast meat is expected to have a pale pink colour. Thigh and leg meat is usually dark red when raw. Colour of meat depends on the presence of the muscle pigments, myoglobin and haemoglobin.
Muscles that are deboned during early post-mortem still have energy due to contraction.
Poultry cooked flavour interacts between sugar and amino acid, lipid and thermal oxidation and thiamine degradation.
Without oxygen and nutrients, muscles run out of energy, and they contract and become stiff, this is called rigor mortis. The age of the bird at slaughter affects the flavour of the meat.

I do thank the author for providing such good information about meat.

Gobinath Shanmugasundram
6 de febrero de 2014
How to avoid the Pin feathers in broiler skin? what are the steps should be taken to eradicate this problem? There are some black spots at back of broiler. how to avoid this? Kindly provide me the solution to get rid of this. Thanks and regards
Lonnie Shenefield
26 de marzo de 2016
It doesnt explain the spongy inedible crap i keep getting from food suppliers that claims to not have any solution added and yet is still absolutely unexceptable in texture!!! I doubt that has to do with rigor mortis... Stop selling chicken that is WAY TO BIG AND SLIMY AND SPONGY!!!
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister