Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Nutritional Vitamin and Meat Quality of Broilers

Effects of Nutritional Vitamin Levels on Performance and Meat Quality of Broilers

Published: September 19, 2012
Summary
INTRODUCTION Recent studies have shown vitamin levels above minimum requirements may optimize genetic potential and improve immune status. Optimum Vitamin Nutrition (OVN TM ) is a new concept in animal nutrition that aims to better production and meat quality. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of different vitamin levels (NRC and OVN TM ) in broiler diets on productive pa...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Arshaq Ramzee
2 de octubre de 2012

A very good article about Vitamin on Meat Quality of Broilers.

Dr. David O. Akinde
Fusion Biosystems
2 de octubre de 2012

This is very good research more atuned to text book issues. Because certainly it is not easy to find producers and feed millers that will use these OVN levels just to obtain 50 g/bird over 42 day period with a feed cost of 14 g/bird. Also what about the implication on feed cost/ton? This I think may be unacceptable under today's conditions. Not that I doubt the OVN concept, it is just that super dosing one or or two of these vitamins are able to obtain similar or better results. At least the literature tells us that. At metabolic level on the other hand, we are not sure if weight gain is solely due to the extra intake of vitamins or indirectly via increased intake of other nutrients like lysine. For instance on suppose the feeds has on average digestible lysine spec of 12.5 kg/ton, 14.2 g feed will mean an extra digestible lysine intake of 180 mg. We need to think about this.

On carcass merits, this is highly desirable. I just hope we can be able to market birds fed these specs as premium poultry. Uptil now, this is still a hard sell, as poultry simply means cheap and affordable protein - especially in market where production is growing. But I would recommend this concept solely for the carcass premium traits, if consumers are convincable to see the additional health benefits. Finally I advise the concept be finetuned to birds under serious management and disease challenges. Ín súch conditions, OVN will definitely be useful.

Sudheer Rukadikar
8 de octubre de 2012

As per my knowledge, nobody is using such low levels of vitamins recommended by NRC in broiler diets. In India, there has been recommendation of 12,500 IU of Vit A, 3000 IU of vit D3 per ke finished feed for broilers since long.

Park W. Waldroup
University of Arkansas (USA)
5 de diciembre de 2012

I will emphasize that the NRC values are NOT recommendations... They are minimum requirements based on published literature values. The fact that little or no research based on actually determining a requirement for a specific vitamin (as compared to feeding different levels of multiple vitamins) limits any change in recommendations. The committee cannot just make any changes without research to back it up...

Haroon Mushtaq
5 de diciembre de 2012
I'm confused with the thing that why every council (NRC, Leeson, Brazilian, Canadian, Korean, Japanese) has different arrangement for vitamins in their tables. Is it important or not?
Mahmood Ali Tabassum
5 de diciembre de 2012
I agree with Park W.Waldroup that NRC Vitamins requirements are minimum requirements of chicken under specific conditions.According to literature available for various standards of vitamins requirements of chicken can be manipulated depending upon Environmental Conditions and Immune Status of the bird.
Almasdi Rahman
5 de diciembre de 2012
The good ARTICLE , wE WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH DIFFERENT COST EACH FEED PER KG, BECAUSE WE SAW DIFFERENT FCR ONLY 0.027 . WE MUST CALCULATED THE COST PREMIX OVN AND THE RESULT 0.027 FCR REGARDS ALMASDI,DVM
Hossan Md. Salim, PhD
5 de diciembre de 2012
This is a good research, but I am wondring about the feed cost between the treatments. Do you have any economic study for this research? On the otherhand, except meat quality issues, the level of significance in growth performance was considered at 10%, is it acceptable in the animal science study? Let's think about these issues.
Dr Manal Kamal
7 de diciembre de 2012

This is a good research, and I agree with Hossan Md. Salim about the feed cost between treatments because the very much amount of vitamins added and gained little differences in BWG.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister