Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mycotoxins in poultry

Day Old Chicks (DOC) Health Status and Early Mortalities: Consequences of Mycotoxin on Breeder Farms and Hatchery Managment in West Africa: Case Studies from Nigeria VE

Published: December 20, 2011
Summary
INTRODUCTION Agric Trade business in Day Old Chicks( DOC) and  value chain products is still poorly developed in the West Africa sub region, and must be strengthened in order to contribute  and impact on the intra regional agricultural business and trade movement in other to increase poultry food security in the region in  line with the presidents Global Food security Response (...
Related topics
Authors:
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Habib-ur-rehman
15 de diciembre de 2011

I have never read this type of article on Mycotoxin in Day Old Chicks. I thankful to Dr.Stephen Adejoro for sharing.

Nitin  Suryavanshi
15 de diciembre de 2011

a very informative article on mycotoxin in day old chicks.but the question in mind is that when quality control is applied to raw material purchases what impact it is going to show in practical.also is vaccine failure the major cause due to mycotoxin ,

Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
15 de diciembre de 2011

Very thorough, informative and interesting paper about mycotoxin in day old chicks, though the research is limited to one region but we could learn a lot from the data and use this research for benefit. Well done, Dr. Stephen.

Pat Banjo
19 de diciembre de 2011

Thank you our dear erudite Dr S. Adejoro for this informative research work about mycotoxin in day old chicks. Farmers and researchers need this type of information and knowledge sharing to move the industry forward. Now we have an idea why so much vaccine failure(esp marek vaccine) and drug resistance around. However we have to look at the interrelationship of this topic with other problems identifiable on our farms such as very poor biosecurity measures, drug (esp antibiotics) abuse, use of substandard/fake/adulterated drugs, quality/storage of vaccines, waste/ litter disposal. I think we need to prescribe a minimum operating standard for the hatcheries and on the quality of chicks produced, perhaps a checklist on the standard or quality of the DOC. However Dr, we need more information. Thank you.

Dr.D.Desinguraja
21 de diciembre de 2011
Very good article with full of field problems and the Solution for the same.Thanks for the author.
Ogunwole, Olugbenga
Ogunwole, Olugbenga
27 de marzo de 2013
This piece from this author is practical and an epistle from an experienced man almost entirely in the eye of the storm
Tushar Dangat
Venkys
5 de agosto de 2014
Its very informative case study from Nigeria, by Dr.Stephen Adejoro. Thank you
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
6 de enero de 2017

Thanks for your comment and observation, Dr. Ramsee. I have created an NGO, Livestock Industry Foundation for Africa,(LIFA), which advocates for the mitigation of major natural and man made risk factors in poultry as wish to extend its tentacles beyond Africa. We would really appreciate your input and contribution to the growth of the NGO as well as from interested collaburators. Thanks.

Rajib Pradhan
7 de enero de 2017
Thanks for discuss forum on DOC health. Chicks marathon begins from its egg stage. 1. If we overlook parent birds health and nutrition then rest of the chicks health struggles for corrections to remain hardly below average rank. 2. In the perfect DOC the journey ahead can be totally focused on optimum level achievment. 3. The possibility of diseases and mortality are again more possible with high growth rate chicks.which is no less than for imperfect DOC. Because the physiological organs heart , kidneys, liver etc are on maximum load of work.and that is challenging to maintain immunity level they have. 4. Required nutrition and supportive micronutrients . Then required farm condition and supportive farm condition must be made parallel with the days ahead.
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
7 de enero de 2017
Broiler growing cycle is less than 40days all over the world. Consumers are demanding quality chicken and are showing concern regarding how the birds are reared. NGO set up will not suit this sector at all. Integrated production by large operators controlling breeders hatchery feed mill and well managed houses can only produce the quality chicken. NGOs may work with dual purpose or low technology input birds to meet the economic and nutritional needs of remote rural areas which is not a mean affair.
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
7 de enero de 2017
Thank you D Kotalah. For your comment on mitigation for aflatoxin induced mortalities in poltry and other livestocks in Africa. Dr Kotalah concern is what best stategies will prevent this endemicity in the Industry and it is my believe that the issue of aflatoxin is broader than veterinary technicaL issues alone, It is indeed a multiprofessional approach that involve all relevant stake holders involved in grain production valuue chain including grain utilization value chain. Like. Poultry chain business like poultry production. In Africa we need to create massive awareness on best management practices for grain harvest . Storage and best practices to produce livestock feed to avoid mycotoxin contamination along the chains. YYou will agree with me that this is far beyond veterinary technical isses alone as their is need to educate farmers . Gain distribtors and feed millers . Many of who are still ignorant of aflatoxin implications in livestock as weas the public health implications. Today many organizations lie CTA and PACA are collaborating on Aflatoxin mitigation in Africa. This NGO will rreveal to farmers by massive edcation the import of aflatoxin and other mycotoxin in livestock infertility problems, vaccination failuures and in various resistant issues. I believe you can now see the big role that this kind of NGO will face in Africa and the beed to actively work on it. Thank you
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
7 de enero de 2017
I thank all the numerous viewers of this article world wide and all your useful commentss. We are all working towards the same goal of a mycotoxin inimised challanges in the livestock indstry.
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
7 de enero de 2017
Crops get wet in rain. Farmer has no control. Toxin once formed remains there. Big feed mills test the material before purchase and reject the lots with toxins. Small poultry farmers and ngos have no control.
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
7 de enero de 2017

Many farms in Africa lack the capacity to identify and quantify grain at farm gate level as handy equipments are not to their reach and laboratories are not evenly dispersed for immediate decision. These limitation are indeed the challanges the NGO will address. So NGO to preach solution to these challanges are indeed relevant in the tropical climate of Africa where heat escalate mycotoxin production. Tt. Thank you

Ismet Mamode
Food & Allied Group of Companies
9 de enero de 2017

One of the major problems in Africa is the presence of mycotoxins in the poultry feed. The fight against mycotoxins should start with a good quality of raw materials. It is necessary to protect the raw materials against the fungi, which will produce the toxins. Toxin binders can help but they are not 100 % efficient.

Dr. ABDULHAMEED JIMOH
9 de enero de 2017

Thanks for discussing this issue. The best way to control the adverse effect of mycotoxin will be to have a government policy and to implement the maximum safe level in feed stuffs and finished feeds. This is done in advanced countries where 20ppb is used as the maximum level and materials containing above this level is considered unwholesome. Africans must think along this line not only in the interest of international trade but also in the interest of food safety and health of the populace.

Let me add that the best way to control mycotoxin will be at agronomic level during production as well as during processing and storage. Harvesting on time, drying to safe moisture level, use of improved breeds among others can also be of importance.

Dr Dimcho Haralanov
DiVet , Bulgaria Vet.Company
9 de enero de 2017

Dear Dr. Stephen,
We have ECO product thet guaranty Mycotoxin prevention and more,
Please contact me. 
Dimcho Haralanov DVM

Ismet Mamode
Food & Allied Group of Companies
9 de enero de 2017

Dear Mr. Haralonov,

Please, can you send me the technical sheet of your product.

Thank you.

Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
9 de enero de 2017

I appreciate all your contributions and in particular the recent contributions of Ismet Mamode, that recognizes the management of this problem in Africa and the need to protect the raw materials against fungi, which produce the toxins.

His contribution quickly identified the role of Government in policy formulation to control aflatoxin levels in feed and raw materials, as well as government roles in value chain control of aflatoxin and the implementation of safety level, as well as the protection of international trade.

Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
9 de enero de 2017

Thanks to Dr. Jimoh for helping me to conclude that this is why an NGO could be very relevant in motivating government of Africa countries to accelerate the formulation of these policies and speed up implementation, perhaps to safe the industry and the entire consumers of livestock products in Africa. The Government actions will also give credibility on the international scene to Africa livestock exports.

In conclusion, I reemphasize that the prevention of mycotoxin in livestock production is a multi professional role and goes beyond veterinary technicalities alone.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister