Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Biosecurity in Avian Influenza Control

Published: October 25, 2012
Summary
Summary: Biosecurity is one of the tools used for the epidemiology control of the main poultry diseases, including Avian Influenza. The term "biosecurity" includes the set of measures and husbandry practices taken to prevent the introduction, replication and spread of infectious agents in a farm, flock or poultry operation, and its purpose is to reduce the risk of infection or disease. Before...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Jose Quesada Fox
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Maheswar Rath
29 de octubre de 2012

I have my own feelings on AI but could not establish so far what is the reasons of linking all biosecurity article with disease like AI. Any biological farm say cattle farm,pig farm and poultry farm every where the key of success is bio security. Beside that vaccinations are more important with bio-security to control the more difficult diseases in all farm sector which causes economic losses. There are very advance chemicals and equipments are introduced now which justify the control possibilities through bio-security steps for depopulating any harmful organisms in all sectors not only poultry sector. AI has been cited every now a then as if it is new . The international steps formulated to control AI has been culling and bio security.product screening is also recommended and executive actions are now followed every where on this world levels with the apprehensive theory. Even the main threat is genetic mutation which may pose threat to human population and create pandemic.H5N1 most highly pathogenic strains have been studied and also swine flue. My feeling is immunity has to improve for all living animals and vaccination has to be taken up with possible way for those diseases which are felt can create pandemic. All points like nutrition,housing and healthcare issues are common to all animals including human beings.Even we try to cull farm animals or birds we cannot destroy the wild birds and migratory birds. Yes of course due to human actions there is possibilities of reduction of wild and migratory bird populations still it is difficult to control. I feel the international team of scientists need to come up with some solutions to such popular motivations for control of AI leaving many such issues which could also be source of pandemic on this planet.No farmer or house hold ignore bio security . Still some farmers might be neglecting due to no managerial supervisions for grant of punishments or cancelling license for neglecting farm environments and nutrition and housing conditions. How long poultry sector will live within such concepts without making business progress globally for food production? It seems as if chicken species is more attracted from all angle in the trade sector. Let us wait and see how far we are sufferer by accepting chicken farming for meat and egg besides welfare issues.

I congratulate the author for sending good article with very valuable bio security issues and steps.

Dr. José Quesada Fox
30 de octubre de 2012

Dear Maheswar:
Thank you very much for your comments. In fact your comment is good and have a couple of comments to it. First, I talked about AI as a model disease for biosecurity since this presentation was included in an AI Symposium, but as you say, the model is viable for all diseases control as farm level. The importatnt point is apply risk analysis to build the biosecurity system.
Also cleaning and desinfecting is very important, using the right soaps, and chemicals as well procedures. To clean out its importat to add draw time analysis. But the most importat is - as you say - the conviction to follow the biosecurity procedures as well as continue the permanent risk analysis. Vaccination is a important tool, but no just the only one.
Regards

Shyju . K M
31 de octubre de 2012

Dear Dr. Johns,  I am from india. We have again the issue of avial influenza unfortunately, happened at hassergettah situating near Bangalore, its agovt institution. by sanchu shaw.

Maheswar Rath
31 de octubre de 2012

Dear sir,
I have seen the comments. In India AI is a chronic topic so also in other Asian countries and yearly exerciser is there and no human deaths are possible so far due to mutation of genome. Still there is huge talk and procedure adopted due to formats to contain the possibilities only.

But my worry is with Dengu now which is really a concern all over India and spreading through mosquito and big celebrities are loosing their live due to this and perhaps is the major concern to all . when we are not able to control the vector mediated viral infection which is infecting lakhs now in India specially all congested cities then perhaps AI is at least not spreading to human beings and creating panic.

Rather I feel how to make free Dengu India now and save the country from such tragedies. No drug available, no vaccine till available still control of mosquitoes has been recommended and treatment is like symptomatic only and of course preventives also includes bio security efforts.
I am waiting what type of format international institution will recommend now when we know the format of AI recommendation all over world?

Jan-Jeroen De Beucker
Ballard Group Inc
31 de octubre de 2012

Can we also use the term BIOSAFETY to express the same content as for BIOSECURITY ?

RENEL T CONTRERAS VC
11 de noviembre de 2012

Dear Mr. De Beucker,

Biosecurity in veterinary medicine, as explained by Dr. Jose, especially in veterinary epidemiology focuses on the prevention and control of animal diseases especially those which can transmitted to humans (Zoonotic Diseases). While the term Biosafety is used in an enclosed environment, in a laboratory for example, which plays a role on preventing workers to harbor a disease or a disease causing organism.

vijayaraghavan gonuguntla
Agri Life
11 de diciembre de 2012

Dear Dr. Jose Quesada Fox.

Your Article is very right in content and concept.
As Dr Maheswar Rath rightly observed, there are many new tools. Colloidal Silver can be safely used as a disinfectant to inhibit growth of Bacteria, Fungi, Yeast and Virus. Several specific probiotics are available to fight against Salmonella, E Coli, Clostridium, Campylobacter etc. Herbs like Sambucus nigra are much useful against Birdflu. MOS, 1,3/1,6 Beta Glucans, Nucleotides are known immunomodulators.

Regards,
VIJAY

Maheswar Rath
12 de diciembre de 2012

Thank you Engormix.com for creating this forum for getting more comments on the subject. I am a consultant and I came in contact with chicken in government sector and also in private sector for the last 40 years while handling production projects at different parts of India. In commercial sector I come across thousands of farmer in a year. But I never thought AI can kill me any time when I handle the bird in farm sector.

It is the projections of worthy scientific teams of the nation and international level they made wonderful drive to say we must fear birds as AI is chasing place to place over the globe. Thus some panic massage could spread in 2003 which really made the sector zero in India and it was difficult for administrative steps except depending on international bodies and their guidelines. If I remember correctly this virus or viral disease of chicken or bird noticed many places in the globe and till date it is reported. Some report Indonesia and Vietnam have new type of AI virus, killing birds and also human? During 2006 again this AI wave came to India and lots of culling started, and steps adopted as per policy framed by state management. Now also it comes and goes culling is also done.

State dept have budget for such activities and purchase of certain recommended medicine all the time beside other expenses. 10 years has passed when India got the AI wave and facing serious business problems as poultry sector involve huge capital investments. But farmers and business people watch for the trend and do their
business. I feel there is lack of decision making at international levels or national levels and no one is sure how to handle such issues. In biology term any time virus can go anywhere. Bacteria may respond to managerial control for entry but virus do not discriminate area when chicken/bird is the host.

Now my question is -will it be economical to forcefully stop any chicken production on this planet ignoring food production, or we have to only adopt, wait and see method? I find a lot of anti groups of chicken farming are also chasing this species citing welfare issues but major producers are exposed to business blockage due to such situations all over the world. Thus is it the time to have some uniform coordinated decision for chicken egg and meat production all over the world keeping the country wise situation so that any products produced at any place can move any land without fear or restrictions if trade is the interest? Is it possible that Scientists,chicken producers and activists have to come to one line without involving consumers getting panic or emotional issues with acceptable scientific logic? However the chicken will continue to grow with good husbandry practices and best quality nutrition.

The bio security of farms and processing pockets are the prime requirements till some answer is available.
m rath

Dr. Mohammad Akram
13 de diciembre de 2012

Based on my experience of diagnosis and control of AI, following points should be adopted :-
1- Eradication and proper disposal of infected flocks.
2- Strict Biosecurity measures including spary of 1:10 rtio of Cresylic acid and Diesel every 3-4 weeks interval 10 fts. surrounding area of each poultry house.
3- Vaccination against AI with vaccine of local strain.
4- Regular monitoring of titres against AI, to know the efficacy of vaccine and timing of revaccination.

Dr Shripad Ratnaprakhi
17 de enero de 2013

Proper disposal of dead birds in AI infections is a major steps in control of disease, no doubt most of the farmers are having this facility, but still some area lacuna is there , if we cover all small and large farm, we could control the threat, with the help of proper disinfection.

Dr.dipanjal Kakoti
Anthem Cellutions Pvt Ltd
17 de enero de 2013

As Dr. Akram said the relative measures for controling AI by means of cresylic acid. Cresylic acid is a corrosive and hazardous substances, so my doubt is regarding its method of application in poultry farms. Does 1:10 ratio stands for Cresylic acid: Diesel.

Please elaborate.

Kapil Dodhi
19 de enero de 2013

Dear Dr Akram,
Use of cresylic acid and diesel in AI control, sounds interesting. Pl give complete details vis a vis its use, efficacy, precautions, mode of action.
With warm regards,
Kapil Dodhi
Abro Farms, Delhi

Dr. Mohammad Akram
21 de enero de 2013

Dear Kapil Dodhi,
Thanks for your intrest in my recommendation to reduce the load of AIV in farm.
The ratio of Cresylic Acid (Com. grade) & Deisel will be 1:10. It means that the user has to add Ikg of C. Acid in 9 litres of Diesel. This should only be use about 10 feet outside area of poultry shed every 4 weeks interva , because it has high residual effectl. In case of terminal cleaning in the absence of birds it could also be use inside the shed.
Because the mixer will be very strong and irritating, therefore the worker must take maximum protective measures during spray.
Regards
Dr.Akram

Muhammad Wakeel
24 de enero de 2013

Sir, Dr. Akram Assalam o Aliqum,

One liter of C. Acid and 9 liters of Diesel; this preparation is only for empty shed or in presence of birds?

Surinder Maini
4 de junio de 2013
Dr Jose/Dr Rath I see articles and write ups from several knowledgeable people, they all talk about the bio security and vaccination to control diseases. Bio security has different meanings in different situations, vaccines work only when the immune system is good and responsive, In the industry they keep foot dips and spray pumps for show at the gate/entry point, diseases don't enter this way, Inside sheds are poorly managed, the gases, the dust, the compromised nutrition, vaccination during sub clinical infections/stress, poor or suppressed immune system, wrong diagnosis, faulty medication programs, use of poor quality/ sub standard drugs and medicament and overdoing things not required, all cause damage to the poor birds health and well being. Why do you think so much about AI, when no human deaths are reported in India, why not Dengue in chicken where no medicines work and no vaccine is available. In my opinion we are far away from the main problem, lets first find what the problem is, then work towards it prevention, control and eradication.
Maheswar Rath
5 de junio de 2013
ok some author now say why i think so much about AI when no human deaths are reported in India why not Dengue in chicken where no medicines work and no vaccine is available". May i request the doctor pl allow me to think on any such point . May i know what do the dr mean about dengue in chicken? pl site some reference ? Thank you sir. Dr rath
Surinder Maini
6 de junio de 2013
Dr Rath If you read the sentences above and below that sentence you will understand my point of view, picking up only that particular sentence will take you no where. Most important is the last sentence of my write up " In my opinion we are far away from the main problem, lets first find what the problem is, then work towards it prevention, control and eradication". When my name is there why do you have to say some author/doctor, i will appreciate if addressed by name.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister