Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Gumboro Disease in poultry

Gumboro

Published: March 30, 2009
Summary
Gumboro Disease or Infectious Bursal Disease (IBD) is one of the most common diseases of commercial poultry in Asia. In the clinical acute form (vvIBDV), the disease causes significant economic losses due to mortality, reduced performance and immunosupression that lead to increased susceptibility to other diseases. The IBD virus is extremely resistant to environmental conditions and chemicals. Th...
Related topics
Authors:
Segal
Recommend
Comment
Arshaq Ramzee
31 de marzo de 2009

I commend Engormix to publish a great article on a very important and dangerous disease of chickens. Author wrote a very well balanced article that covers all aspects of this disease. I am confident this article will certainly help farm managers to control Gumboro and now they can design a comprehensive vaccination program that is often misled by the manufacturing companies. This article tell us that if a vaccination program is effective at Farm A, it is not necessary that it would be effective on Farm B.

Author needs all applause to gather all important information in a single article for the benefit of industry.

Recommend
Ganesh Kumar Dahal
Guybro Chemical
31 de marzo de 2009

Very good article ! Congratulation ! Dr.Y.Segal.

In the quest of IBD vaccination failure due to various reasons, Virus Neutralizing Factor (VNF) vaccines could be possible tool. However, good bio-security measure and right selection of a correct vaccination strain along with strict vaccination schedule will help farmers to prevent Gumboro Disease.

Recommend
Bhaskar Samanta
Bhaskar Samanta
31 de marzo de 2009

Veterinary consultant, West bengal, India.- Dr. Bhaskar Samanta, M.V.Sc

IBD is a very pathogenic diseases in poultry bird. It generally affects the bird after 3 wks of age. If vaccination is not done, it may cause severe losses... 70- 80 % mortality may occur according to the severity. So details knowledge about this topic is necessary... for this purpose this topic is so much helpful to veterinarians, also the persons who are directly engaged in this arena.

Recommend
DR SUSHANTTH  RAI, BELLIPADY
7 de abril de 2009

Dr Segal,

Excellent article on IBD, on treatment line along with good biosecurity methods, vaccination program.

Homepathy can be tried, which has given me excellent result in controlling mortality.

lachesis 200x

10 ml / 100 birds

after 12 hours

china 200 x

5 ml / 100 birds

+
gelesimium
5ml/ 100 birds

Recommend
Oyedele Oyewumi
Prinzvet Livestock Consult
18 de abril de 2009

This is an excellent and comprehensive paper on Gumboro diseases. The higher mortality rate within a short period of 6-10 days makes this disease to be dreadful. Mortality losses could be reduce by administration of broad spectrum antibiotic + coccidostat + vitamin & electrolyes. These drugs could be administered by pulse dosing since there is reduced appetite.

Recommend
Dr Khalid M Mahrose
Dr Khalid M Mahrose
1 de mayo de 2009

Dear sir,
This is an excellent paper on Gumboro disease.
Thank you.

Recommend
Dr. Tin Tin Than
Dr. Tin Tin Than
24 de septiembre de 2010

Gumboro disease or infectious bursal disease I B D article is very useful for me.But i like to know detail method of diagnose for that disease.Thank you.

Recommend
Farrell Magtoto
27 de junio de 2011

Very helpful article. Is there a type of Gumboro Disease or Infectious Bursal Disease (IBD) that show no gross lesions in the bursa of fabricus?

Recommend
Segal
2 de julio de 2011

Dear Farrell Magtoto and Kiran Kumar,
The classic strains of Gumboro disease can be very mild, when infect older birds (over 6 weeks) or partially protected birds by maternal immunity, they cause sub-clinical infection, means no obvious clinical or pathological symptoms, but you might notice slower growth rate, poor FCR, etc which would cause economical implication.
Cheers
Yoni Sega

Recommend
Muhammad Ali
13 de agosto de 2011

Re:Comprehensive Article :Gumboro disease
I would like to thanks to Engormix.com to publish very comprehensive article regarding gumboro disease.
This type of information is very fruitful for new emerging veterinarians.

Muhammad ali

Recommend
Dr O S Alo
17 de mayo de 2012

Dr, best article I have seen on Gumboro.A good mix of theory and practice.great job.
Just want to add that organic selenium could be helpful in prevention also.What do you think?

Recommend
Segal
17 de mayo de 2012
Dear Dr O S Alo Selenium might assist the immune response, but you should be careful on dosage, as its might be toxic in high doses.
Recommend
Mridul Borah
9 de agosto de 2012

Though it is said that there is no effective treatment for Gumboro Disease or Infectious Bursal Disease (IBD), it has been obsered that some herbal immunomodulators (particularly Imurich manufactured by Samsun Biotech and Gamonex by Warner multimedia) alongwith Vit E works well. However morbidity and mortality is totally dependant on the strees factor. The more the birds are comfortable the less is the chance of mortality.

Recommend
Alloui Nadir
13 de agosto de 2012
Very good informative article
Recommend
Segal
13 de agosto de 2012

Dear Dr Nadir Alloui thanks for your comment, This article had been written few year back and probably an updated version is required, especially in the area of vaccination program, as new vector vaccines for in ovo or at day old are now widely available.
Cheers
Yoni

Recommend
Dr. M Mujtaba
28 de agosto de 2012

Gumboro Disease or Infectious Bursal Disease (IBD) is now common disease for broiler farmers. Vaccine failure is also very common. Use of antipyratic and diaurtic along with addition of sugar is common practice in broiler farming for treatment of IBD. Diluting the feed by addition of maize also helps in decreasing the mortality and morbidity in flock.

Recommend
khaled habeb
11 de enero de 2016
i want to know the equations for calculation titer by elisa to detect the date of vaccination
Recommend
buhnyuy ngong c
21 de septiembre de 2016
Very interesting article. However, I wish to know if there is a post vaccination rapid laboratory test kit to help farmers monitor if the vaccination program was successful done or if there will be possibility of vaccine break incident?
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.