Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feed Conversion ratio in broilers

Published: November 16, 2014

May I know the best FCR in broiler worldwide?

Related topics
Authors:
Anonymous
Anonymous
Recommend
Comment
Maheswar Rath
16 de noviembre de 2014
It is not fare to hide name of the person who raise this point on fcr? Is there any reasons to hide the doctor name when he need a comment on possibilities of best FCR on the world. I do not get any meaning . However being a poultry person i should respond to a query on best FCR? First of all fcr is a measure of feed required to convert 1kg live wt. Genetic and breeding status of the broiler commercial chick will respond to quality balance feed to achieve the potential body wt at particular age . Of course the standard farm management will decide the body wt when genetic status and feed quality status at the required levels. Field conditions are different at different locations and farmers approach is also quite different to handle farm broiler chicks. Now in India we say at 42days of age if the body wt is 2.5kg with FCR 1.65 is one of the best achievement. However time is changing and scientist struggling to get still better body wt and better FCR and it can reach still at better levels as per the infrastructure supported at farm . I feel we cannot cross the biological barriers and we have to genetically select as per commercial demand and response to average management and specialized management. I hope the query is replied for the vet of burma Myanmar. He can make more specific question if desired .
Recommend
Khaliel Alrahman Abusharkh
16 de noviembre de 2014
Hello Dr. I agree completely with what Dr.Ruth said in his answer. To answered the question practically I find the F.C.R were mentioned in the breeder company guides is matching with the perfect performance on average ,so it could achieve beter F.C.R than the standard but the average will not be far from the standard . In research centers the performance can be better than the standard. From my experienced the best F.C.R 1.48 at 1.7 kg live weight or 1.51 at 1.84kg at 32 days. The most important factors is the cost of feed /kg of meat ,this more important than the figures of F.c.r I hope my answered could be helpful. Khalil
Recommend
John Gregory Foulds
16 de noviembre de 2014
New Zealand is generally pretty far up the upper quartile with current commercial performance in sexed sheds of 1.4 to 1.45 FCR at 2.5 kg LW. As hatched sheds generally perform 4-5 points worse. New Zealand has a very good health status and controlled environment shedding with cement floors. It would pretty well represent commercial genetic potential but care needs to be taken not to use these performances as benchmarks for most poultry producing areas.
Recommend
Sudarno
Sudarno
16 de noviembre de 2014

Indonesia in general is a little different because we harvest earlier at around 30 days. General achievement body weight 1.8 kg with FCR 1.55. Housing system in here is open house. Best FCR I think very relative becuase depend on your farm management practise, biosecurity and market situation. Best FCR is condition that you can optimize your profit depent market preference broiler body weight market, live birds price and meat price. More money you can get is the best.

Recommend
Ogbonna Wilfred
14 de julio de 2019
Sudarno Hi doc. Can you please educate me with respect to Cp level as regards achieving the above target you highlighted Thanks Dr Wilfred
Recommend
Dr.sohan Hada
17 de noviembre de 2014

The best FCR ever recorded by one of my experienced farmer is 1.25 with average body weight 1.6 kg on 28th day.

Recommend
Ogbonna Wilfred
12 de julio de 2019
Dr.sohan Hada Wonderful. Please get me intimated. Am really interested Thanks Dr Wilfred
Recommend
Tawfik
12 de marzo de 2020

Dr.sohan Hada
Whats is the recipe starter grower finsher
To get this ruslt
MR TAWFEEQ

Recommend
Dr Riaz
17 de noviembre de 2014
Ref: FCR In my experience FCR depends on various factors type of house, breed, feed ,sex chicks. We are mostly enjoying 1.55 to 1.7 FCR as per the conditions in PAKISTAN at the age of 37 days and average weight 2.1 kg in general with HD feed quality in environment control houses. Now in Pakistan most of broiler population is in control sheds, controlled environment shedding with cement floors. It would pretty well represent commercial genetic potential but care needs to be taken not to use these performances as benchmarks for most poultry producing areas. Dr Riaz Consultant Nutritonist Lahore Pakistan +92-333-415-4422
Recommend
Muhammad Ajmal Farooq
2 de febrero de 2019

Dr. Riaz
Sir
Can u explain, what is the effect of age on fcr, and if we hold the bird after two kg what is the effect of this in fcr, and what is the growth rate of broiler after 2 kg.

Recommend
Maheswar Rath
17 de noviembre de 2014
fcr would also depend on the target of rearing age. More you expand the age more would be fcr irrespective of any situation. Growth rate get slow when age advances after say 35days. Now a producer need to verify which type of meat is having better price and demand in the regional market. It is seen when broilers are reared up to 3.5kg body wt the dressing % get more than from a bird of 1kg LBWt. Some areas when chicken meats are further processed for target products with added value then perhaps it is better to rear higher age and cost of production also get reduced according to age. cost of production is important but meat quality like tenderness is also preferred widely . So the producer need to decide what type of product it is needed to produce for commercial acceptance and profitability. So market study and local trends are more important to take up the target rearing program. FCR would be always be a guideline and cost of production can be derived per kg of meat, per kg of breast meat, perl live wt kg, and any other points which has linked with market where the product is sold and consumers reactions. FCR would always vary but we need to know what need to be the range of variation so that accordingly the producer can program their production schedule. thanks sir. dr m rath
Recommend
Dr. Mohan Giri
18 de noviembre de 2014
FCR depends on the target of rearing age of Broiler Bird. More you expand the age of rearing more would be FCR irrespective of any situation. Growth rate get slow when age advances after 35days. Now in Nasik Region of Maharashtra I have seen 2.5 body wt. FCR 1.62. which is having mortality 2.82%. I think these type of FCR shows better for poultry Industry. Dr. Mohan Giri.
Recommend
Ghulam Haider rehan
19 de noviembre de 2014
I am farmer belong from okara pakistan recently i have achive fcr 1.67 on 2300g body weight at 41 days with normal feed even flock was involved in crd and mortality 7%
Recommend
Christopher Hettiarachchi
19 de noviembre de 2014

FCR depends largely on how fine tuned the broiler management is. This includes; proper cleaning & disinfection, chick quality, feed quality , input density, water quality, how good the cage is, weight gain at day 7 (at least 200g at day 7), and the age at harvest. At input density of 0.46 squire foot per bird, a close house operation could obtain about 1.8kg live weight with FCR of 1.68 at day 32 with average mortality rate of 2.6% in a tropical climate.

Recommend
Dr.hashim Ahmed Mohamed
19 de noviembre de 2014
I would say F.C.R depend largely on quality of feed ingrdients and formula used and breed genetic make up plus healhty bird i think incease dressing percent with the advance age can compenste the slow growth rate (more F.C.R)
Recommend
Dr. Mohan Giri
19 de noviembre de 2014
FCR also depends upon the what type of raw material and its nutritional value. if you use animal source of protein in feed FCR will better. so rich protein with balanced enegry helps for better results &FCR.
Recommend
Rajib Pradhan
19 de noviembre de 2014
I think pain killer has to be added in the broiler feed . 2.5 kg body weight is too much for 5 weeks old chicks.
Recommend
Rajib Pradhan
19 de noviembre de 2014
NSAD helps not only for pain killer but also reduce inflammation. Fast growing birds needs continuous intake of liquid and feed. The gut and physiolosical organs specially heart kidneys & liver function will be on optimum work load.any extra stress will drastically reduce immune system.
Recommend
19 de noviembre de 2014

The term "quality broiler feed" covers all the good attributes of the feed in relation to fast growth and better FCR. This includes not only quality of raw materials but also feed manufacturing process. Also includes the type/s of antibiotics included in the starter/booster feet. Different feed manufacturers include different antibiotics in the starter feed as prophylactic doses to have their competitive edge over the other feeds. This can be easily demonstrated by antibiotic sensitivity test (ABST) using agar well diffusion method. One would be surprised to find out sometimes that FCR is better with the feed that has wider clear zone in the ABST.

Recommend
Rajib Pradhan
19 de noviembre de 2014
There are many factors responsible for better FCR. The genetic parts those researched on achieving better FCR also brings sensitive negative factors those have sustained effects throughout the growth period. For example reduced tolerance against antinutritional factors specially present in oil seed meal. Toxicity through rancidity and mycotoxins. Temperature fluctuations, water pH and oxygen level. Etc. When the ideal condition is assumed we can expect best performance without medications. The fact is that the most expensive treatment is most perfect condition. Here we compromise by using antbiitics and liver health supporters etc.
Recommend
Maheswar Rath
19 de noviembre de 2014
antibiotic or growth promoters or non veg ingredient are independent thoughts. I donot think any antibiotic in feed continuously is essential. It may be warranted when feed with nonveg ingredients or chick quality and house managements reference while growing broiler. I would suggest the IBD vaccination and RD vaccination are also key factors in farm at the optimum age which allow acceptance of antigen. This can be guided by the chick supplier"s schedule if they have the data on maternal immunity length. We have marked certain vaccinations schedules are specific to area and farm which need compliance to reduce the use of antibiotics. Probiotics and prebiotics are more getting popular and also the acidifiers . It is good to see better FCR all over the world .
Recommend
20 de noviembre de 2014

It is very important to avoid immuno-suppressive diseases such as IBD as it can lead to other opportunistic bacterial infections ( E.coli & Salmonella) which lead to increase FCR (due slow growth rate). If the broiler operation is large (eg. with 15 close houses), it is always good to invest on ELISA antibody monitoring system such as IDEXX or BioChek. When the operation is large, it is difficult to obtain chicks from a single hatchery and therefore, chicks from different hatcheries are placed in one cage with %CV of titter values far above the standard. Several trials can be done to develop the best vaccination schedule against IBD, IB and NCD to a particular farm. System fine tuning needs attention to details as well. IBD vaccination via drinking water can also be tricky. Dyes like Ave blue is good way to evaluate % of birds that have been vaccinated. In a large operation, it is important to monitor the temperature of refrigerators that the vaccines are stored. One has to be very careful when using organic acidifiers as some broiler operators use 3, IBD, 2,IB and 2, NCD vaccines during 35-40 day cycle.

Recommend
L C Kapse
20 de noviembre de 2014
Kindly enlighten how organic acidifiers used in the last week of rearing feed affect usage of 3IBD,2IB or NCD vaccines affect growth or otherwise.
Recommend
20 de noviembre de 2014

By last week, all the vaccines have been completed and the use of acidifiers towards the end of cycle definitely help to improve FCR. As Dr. Rath mentioned, acidifiers, prebiotics and probiotics are becoming more and more popular as alternatives to antibiotics for antibiotic free broiler production.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.