Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

pig production in botswana

Starting up a pig farm

Published: May 10, 2006
By: FRED KAU

I'm a third year student in the University of Botswana studying economics and accounts. My country is well known for its diamond and beef production. Pork meat is in high demand here, but the supply is very low, therefore I would like to venture in that industry. I want to start up a commercial pig farm but I haven’t the slightest idea of where to start. The start up capital is not a problem, the problem is the logistics. I know everything there is to know about cows, but when it comes to pigs I know nothing except for what I have learnt from this website. What I want to know is if I want to start up a high production commercial pig farm, how many females and boars should I start with? What breed is the best, looking at my demographic location? How many sheds should be constructed to accommodate the pigs and how many pigs should I keep per shed? Any response will be highly appreciated.

Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Chucks Ihearahu
18 de junio de 2012

I have a 10 acres of farm land and this discussion is making me to start planning of pig farm in Nigeria but lack of information is a serious hamper to the take off of this project. I am having a problem with finding pig ark or how the design of ark to kept the pig. What do you think?Chucks UK

Noni
11 de septiembre de 2012

HI Chucks To help you out on your arks. Do you have wooden pallets available. and corrugated iron sheets. Make them out of these the pigs farrow just fine. I use this method. You can wire the pallets together drive in a few posts and then tin the outside...... dry and cosy Pallets come in different lengths but the width is much the same generally. I also use them for grow out shelters .....2 pallets wide and 6 or 12 metres long. or whatever length you wish, a windbreak out the front to help keep the chill out of the hut. can double line them as well and fill in the centre if you so wish.

Jose Anguirai Moises Niquisse
30 de octubre de 2012

Hi, I´m from Mozambique. I´m writing about pig farming as a commercial project. Could anybody help me with a piece of advice of feeding pigs with low costs?

Regards

Jose Niquisse

Rajan V Naidu
3 de febrero de 2013

Sir,
I am a tech employee at Tata Power Co. In 2019 I will be retairing, also I am a farmer I own 2 acers of land & I am intrested in starting a pig farm. Please help me in how I should start, what should be the size & design of shyed, which breed, & all the details which are required.

Regards
rajan v naidu

Segopotso Molatlhegi
4 de marzo de 2013

Good day Good people: After going through several reports, I have noticed that there is business in pigs and I'm so eager to know more about piggery. Please advise on centers to visit, documents to read ect, and if there is anyone who owns pig farm near Gaborone, I'm free to work for him for free on weekends.

bakae Molato
6 de marzo de 2014
Good day but how is the market in Botswana?
theo sello
4 de mayo de 2014
I am also interested in pig farming. The problem is that I am currently a student at the university of Botswana so time is a problem for me. My grandfather is a cattle commercial farmer and is very supportive of the idea that he has set aside land and funds to help kick start my project after I am done with school. but with all the support I am getting I believe I will prevail.
Aquila Jilani
31 de marzo de 2018

It’s a very encouraging topic to contribute and sincerely the passion and finance with few other factors need to be considered. I am in Ghana and started with 1,000 animals and Can surely advise extensively on ways to minimize cost. You may freely contact me.

Henry Ssekidde
3 de abril de 2018
Pigs are called a poor man's cow. The most important item are the feeds. If you can plant maize for a season, it'll give you a good start before you stock either piglets or pregnant sow. Feeding decides your ease or difficulty in piggery. Remember the more they grow and multiply, more and more feeds will be required. A visit to a farm will show you the basic housing. And feeding regimes. Remember to start small and grow big.
Thandie Letshabo
24 de mayo de 2018

Hi, everyone, I am a pig farmer, I started sometime last year in Kanye. I have done benchmarking and I have tried to get as much support as I can from other farmers and the government on starting up. My only problem at the moment is that I have pigs that are ready to be sold but I can't seem to find any buyers for my pigs. Can you assist me with any places that I can approach?

Aobakwe Sekolo
23 de julio de 2019
Thandie Letshabo have you tried any agriculture department??
Esther Edson Kategela
31 de mayo de 2018

Hello,
I am in Lobatse, Botswana. I am interested in pig production.
Is there anyone who can assist me on how to go about?

Your assistance will be much appreciated

Aobakwe Sekolo
23 de julio de 2019
Esther Edson Kategela did you get any help??
onkemetse abdulla sabata
26 de agosto de 2018

Very interested in pig farming. I have researched more on pig farming and would like to know where to get breeders since sebele government farm is unable to meet the demand for breeders.

Robert Unaami Johannes
1 de octubre de 2018

I am a student at the University of Botswana and want to start pig farming but I don't know where to start. Please, can you help..

onkemetse abdulla sabata
18 de octubre de 2018

Yes, I would like to start a pig farm and I do not know how to go about it.

oarabile sebina
13 de abril de 2021
i need help with a farm layout and dimensions of pig farm buildings for 60 sows and 3 or 4 boars
Uyapo Matlalo
20 de abril de 2021
um also interested on starting the business of pig farming in Botswana but i know nothing about it except what i have read on the internet.... so help me with the information regarding this kind of business.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister