Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Replacement Gilt Rearing

Published: March 29, 2015
By: Paul Walker Thompson

Under the teaching of Dr. William Flowers Ph.D this semester, I have learned about some new concepts in how to rear Replacement Gilts. Research shows that Replacement Gilts raised in litters of 7 or less will be more productive as sows over their first three parities. I would imagine even keeping the Replacement Gilt litters to 10 piglets or less will help the Replacement Gilts develop better than if their dam’s litter size is larger. What is the reason behind this? For gilts, the number of ova clusters (that they will ovulate from during heat cycles during their lifetime) increase for a few weeks after birth (i.e. while they are nursing their dam)! If we can reduce the competition a Replacement Gilt experiences, we can expect between 0.5 to 1.1 piglets more born alive during a sows first three litters. If Boar Exposure at 140 days is added to this you can expect up to 2.0 piglets more born alive in a sow’s first three litters. Can you afford to raise gilts in a litter of 7 or less? I personally believe that if we can keep Replacement Gilt Litters to 10 or less for high milking sows, that we will still see an increase in the sow’s first three litters? How do you get the most out of your Sow Herd?

I would love to hear about your ideas and successes!

God Bless You!
PWT