Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Loss of appetite in pregnant sows

Published: January 23, 2015
By: Alejandro Vargas

I have a sow in its second month of pregnancy who ate well the 60 first days, but now everything changes, and it doesn´t want to eat anything,and when it drinks water then it vomits with a yellow colour and with a strong smell. We gave it antibiotics to stop the pain but we had no luck. We are desesperated since 8 days has passed by in the same situation. What do you think?

Related topics
Authors:
Alejandro Vargas
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
ramil clavero
15 de agosto de 2015

Loss appetite in sow. How to treat it?

Lumu Richard
27 de noviembre de 2018

My sow is pregnant 2 months and it refused to eat. What could be the cause? And how to overcome it?

Harry Kofi Mabre
24 de febrero de 2019

My gilt is three weeks pregnant and doesn't want to eat. What could be the problem?

Taire Moses
15 de abril de 2019
I have the same challenge
Oyeleke sesan samson
22 de noviembre de 2019
Yes
Oyeleke sesan samson
22 de noviembre de 2019
My pig refuses to eat after 2 month pregnancy
Blasu Jacob
4 de enero de 2020

I have five sows, three of which are pregnant. One is eight weeks pregnant and the other two are four weeks pregnant. Just last three days ago, all the five sows went off feeding. Please, kindly help me solve this problem.

Marion Gathoni
14 de enero de 2020

My pregnant pig has refused to eat ...what could be the cause? It is now 2 months pregnant.

Brian Vendelboe
15 de enero de 2020

Ulcer

Feeding structure and good stomach health in the sows

Structure in the sow feed is important for the sake of stomach health.

Lack of structure in the feed causes changes in the stomach and in the worst case, this can lead to deaths by the sows.

1. Feeding strategy against gastric ulcer
* gilts : Restrictive feeding produces fewer ulcers than ad libitum feeding with pelleted feed
* Pregnant sows: Minimum two daily feeding
2. What is seen in the stable
* Some sows loosing weight over short time
* Some sows can be very white
* sows stop eating and or vomiting when giving feed
* Black tuberous manure
* Sudden deaths
* Increases the frequency of one or more of the above

What actions need to be done

Change the feed formulation
Change the feed strategy
Change the management

Marion Gathoni
21 de enero de 2020
I think am satisfied with the answer provided mine exhibited same symptoms mentioned here but i thank God its back to normal
Alex Lengeju
30 de marzo de 2020

My sow is 3 months and 5 days pregnant. She has suddenly stopped eating for 2 days. What could be the cause and what should I do?

Mark E. Wilson
Zinpro
1 de abril de 2020
Does the sow have a fever? Is the sow constipated or is she still having normal stools? If she eats within the next 12 hours there may be no problem. Often lack of intake in gestation is symptomatic that the sow may be aborting the litter. Hopefully she will eat again soon and the litter will be ok. Is the sow drinking water?
Alex Lengeju
28 de mayo de 2020
Mark E. Wilson MANY THANKS, MY SOW DID WELL AND THE FURROWED WELL
Ronaldo Gey
17 de diciembre de 2021
Mark E. Wilson My pig is pregnant and for the last two days she has not eaten anything, she has a fever and has vomited up something yellow looking. What could be wrong?
Ronaldo Gey
17 de diciembre de 2021
Mark E. WilsonI should also add that she is 3 months pregnant, very close to giving birth.
Tomi Olatunde
2 de abril de 2020
Gestation sows ...not wanting to eat sometime especially just before farrow can be seen time in time. apart from the aforementioned, also try to engage her activity...like working her around the pen.
Alex Lengeju
28 de mayo de 2020
Tomi Olatunde MANY THANKS
Trevor T Tekedza
6 de abril de 2020
You can give multivit to improve appetite. Also monitor other symptoms
Alex Lengeju
28 de mayo de 2020
Trevor T Tekedza MANY THANKS
Johnson Claire
2 de septiembre de 2020
Trevor T Tekedza have given my pregnant sow multivitamin and yet refuses to eat
Trevor T Tekedza
3 de septiembre de 2020
Johnson Claire There are a lot of factors especially environmental ones. Try to monitor the sows' behavior as well as pen design and stocking density. An increase in ambient temperatures reduce appetite. How advanced is the pregnancy? Are there other signs and symptoms? What type of feed are you giving your sow? Is the water cold enough and easily accessible?
Johnson Claire
3 de septiembre de 2020
Trevor T Tekedza I gave the pregnant sow unripe plantain. After eating it 2hrs later it refused the food given to it since five days ago. And now its very weak. What can I do?
Diego Padoan
DSM
14 de abril de 2020

No reasons why not eating if not gut torsion or vomitoxin. In case of gut torsion you can see swelling and death inm short time (don't think is the case), toxins as DON are able to cause these symptoms.

Trevor T Tekedza
31 de agosto de 2020
Diego Padoan How are you. Are you the one from Biomin?
Johnson Claire
2 de septiembre de 2020
Diego Padoan explain the term toxin please
kayoma imene
18 de abril de 2020

Our sow is
92days pregnant, and she just suddenly stopped eating, we've disinfected her place, still no change, we just lost two of her siblings to this same signs...

Sol de villa Rama
22 de mayo de 2020
Our sow is 100 days pregnant, and for almost one week now, she lost appetite. Wbat could be the problem?
Kondom Ahangba Isaac
3 de junio de 2020
The sow is 3 weeks pregnant and it has stopped eating for 3days now
Ogunribido
21 de junio de 2020

My pregnant sow refuses to eat for the past one week. What can I do now?

Pauline taylor
4 de julio de 2020
Yes my sow is one month pregnant today shr just lying down not eating
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister