Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Samonella control at swine farms

Evaluation of cleaning and disinfection procedures against Salmonella enterica at swine farms, transport and lairage facilities

Published: January 23, 2012
Summary
Introduction Salmonella enterica is one of the most common and widely distributed food-borne pathogens. The bacteria can contaminate almost any food type although raw eggs, poultry and pork are the most common sources of human outbreaks of salmonellosis [1]. Contamination can occur at any point of the food chain including primary production. Due to the ability of Salmonella to s...
Related topics
Authors:
Hector Argüello
Universidad de Leon - España
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Vahab Farzan
Poultry Health Research Network
23 de enero de 2012

Dear Hector et al,

Very interesting and well presented study! I think this is a worthwhile study that in addition to investigation of the cleaning effectiveness against Salmonella, its data can be used to study the transmission of Salmonella from farm to abattoir. To address the later, it would be very useful for the readers to know whether the pigs from studied farms were transported by the studied trucks to the studied abattoirs? Also if the serotyping results can be contrasted among isolates recovered from farms, trucks and lairage.

Vahab Farzan
Department of Population Medicine
University of Guelph
Guelph ON N1G 2W1
Canada

Hector Argüello
Universidad de Leon - España
24 de enero de 2012

Dear Farzan,

Thanks for your opinion. Regarding the question and suggestions that you posted I have to say that each study was carried out separatelly, that is to say, there were no link among the three studies so isolates from farms, trucks and lairage, so the association among these three points of the production system cannot be matched, in any case thanks fo your idea :-).
The objetive of the study was enhance the value of good cleaning procedures to remove Salmonella from the environment.

If you are interested in monitoring trials from farm to abattoir level I could recommend you some including one of mine (Prevalence and serovars of Salmonella enterica on pig carcasses, slaughtered pigs and the environment of four Spanish slaughterhouses; Arguello et al., 2011)

Best regards

Hector Arguello

Buzun Andriy
26 de enero de 2012

Thanks for very useful dates! Its show of the weak side of desinfection procedures, which are based on chemical development of living environment. I think that chemical disinfectants destroy the living systems while its need in melioration by natural resident microflora - at least after "chemizatiion" of environment.
BUZUN Andriy
Research lab for Swine Disease
NatSciC "Institute for Experimental & Clinical Vet Medicine"
Kharkiv, Ukraine

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister