Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mycotoxicosis in Broiler Breeders

Mycotoxicosis problems in Broiler Breeders

Published: October 15, 2012
Summary
Mycotoxins are toxic secondary metabolites produced by toxigenic strains of some genera of molds. In particular, mycotoxins are polyketones compounds resulting from condensation reactions produced under specific physical, chemical and biological conditions that occur when the reduction of the ketone groups in the biosynthesis of the fatty acids, carried out by the molds, is interrupted. These fat...
Related topics
Authors:
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Alkam Ahmad
15 de octubre de 2012

Interesting article about mycotoxicosis problems in Broiler Breeders. what is the best toxin binder from your experince that can use to cotol such aproblem ?

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
15 de octubre de 2012
Dear Alkam Ahmad For professional-ethical reasons I can`t answer your question because I am Technical Consultant of SPECIAL NUTRIENTS, INC., 2766 Douglas Road, Miami, USA. SPECIAL NUTRIENTS is a very important and professional worldwide producer and marketer of several Feed Aditives, specially Anti-Mycotoxin Additives. You can consult and get information about the particular subject in www.specialnutrients.com or http://www.specialnutrients.com/company.html You can also get information of SPECIAL NUTRIENTS from the “search” of ENGORMIX. The best regards. Gimeno
Jeff Li
Prima Group
16 de octubre de 2012

Dear ALBERTO, 

Is there any toxin affect liver and make it pale? 

In our farm, actually, a higher persontage pale liver happened , someboday think it is becouse of toxin .do you have this related experience? 

thanks. 

best regards and congratulations for the article about mycotoxicosis problems in Broiler Breeders

Jeff Li

Dr. Md. Fakhrul Islam
16 de octubre de 2012

Many many thanks for such kind of articles which helped me very much.

Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
16 de octubre de 2012

This is a very good article about Mycotoxicosis problems in Broiler Breeders and should provide solution, however ,from field experiences we have noted that mycotoxinn contamination on the field is a multiple contamination and not often single mycotoxin contamination 

Management approach should focus on a broad spectrum toxin binder that can bind both small molecule like Aflatoxin, and large molecule toxin like DON
Most conventional toxin binder have narrow inter-layer spaces of say about 2.5 micron that can not allow large molecule toxin to pass through and be banded eg DON
it is in view of this that new technology like Nanotechnology l have been developed to expand the inter layer space by about 10 times the size say to 2.5 micron to allow the fixing of large molecule toxin, which incidentally are the culprit responsible for resistance development and vaccination failures
My contribution therefore is for farmers and practitioners to embrace the use of Nanotechnology broad spectrum toxin binders or activated toxin binders
Such Toxin binders are now available in the market and interested readers should make contact with engormix
Thanks
Dr Stephen Adejoro
Dr Adejoro is an international and independent poultry consultant and current contract Head of Research of Zartech ltd

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
16 de octubre de 2012

Dear Jeff Li

The most important hepatotoxic mycotoxin is the aflatoxin B1, which produce fatty, and friable liver, pale-yellowish in color, massive necrosis, jaundice, and cirrhosis. There are also atrophy of the bursa of Fabricius and of the thymus. The liver and some muscles had petechial hemorrhages and necrotic focus. There are a deterioration of the hepatic cells, as well as fibrosis and hyperplasia of the bile duct. The surface of some of the livers is granulated and there are scattered lymphatic nodules.

The best regards.

Gimeno

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
16 de octubre de 2012
Dear Dr. Fakhrul Islam, Thank you very much for your comments. The best regards. Gimeno
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
16 de octubre de 2012
Dear Dr. Stephen Adejoro, Thank you very much for your comment and information. Regards. Gimeno
Abdulcader
16 de octubre de 2012
I am aware that there is no concrete global guidelines for the acceptable limits of different kinds of mycotoxins in commercial broiler and breeder diets as they are acting additively;If u share some information in this matter I would be much thankful
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
16 de octubre de 2012
Dear Abdulcader The European Union has Legislation for aflatoxin B1 in animal feed for poultry and other animals (1) and Guidance Levels for deoxinivalenol, zearalenone, ochratoxin A and fumonisins B1+B2 (2). In spite of being not Guidelines, you can consult my article entitled “Maximum tolerable concentrations of some mycotoxins: a review” published in www.engormix.com (English section) (1) Official Journal of the European Union. COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 2003/100/EC of 31 October 2003 amending Annex I to Directive 2002/32/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on undesirable substances in animal feed. p.36. (2) Official Journal of the European Union. COMMISSION RECOMMENDATION of 17 August 2006, on the presence of deoxynivalenol, zearalenone, ochratoxin A, T-2 and HT-2 and fumonisins in products intended for animal feeding. (2006/576/EC). Tell me about your e-mail address and I send you the pdf files with the information. The best regards. Gimeno
S.m. Ekramul Huque
20 de octubre de 2012

Dear Mr. Gimeno,
Thank u very much for your valuable informative article about Mycotoxicosis problems in Broiler Breeders. Like Mr Abdulcader I also want know the maximum tolerable range of different type of toxins in different poultry feed. I will be very pleased receiving that informations.

S.M. Ekramul Huque
From Bangladesh
Email: huquezisun@yahoo.com

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
20 de octubre de 2012

Dear Mr. Ekramul Huque,

I already answered this question to Mr Abdulcader. I am going to send you (via your e-mail address) the pdf files with the information which was referred in my answer to Mr. Abdulcader.

In my article entitled “Maximum tolerable concentrations of some mycotoxins: a review” published in www.engormix.com (Mycotoxins. English section), you can see the maximum tolerable range of different type of mycotoxins in different poultry feed.

Regards.

Gimeno

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
20 de octubre de 2012

Dear Mr. Abdulcader and Mr. Ekramut Huque

I would like to explain that it is very difficult to establish the maximum tolerable concentrations of mycotoxins. There are several factors that can influence (increase or decrease) the toxicity of mycotoxins in animals during the consumption of the contaminated feed. Some of these factors are: the animal species and breed; the duration of the contamination period (extend of time in which the animals are ingesting the contaminated feed); the animal´s age and sex; the animal´s nutrition and overall health; bacterial, viral, or parasitical infections; inadequate conditions of the animal´s habitat (temperature, moisture, ventilation, handling and others); medication administered; presence of other mycotoxins and synergism or association amongst them.
Therefore, it is a risk to say that there are levels of mycotoxin contaminations that will not cause problems. It is safe to say, however, that there are relatively “safer” levels of contamination.
It is very difficult to try to establish guidance values and/or recommendations, because there are certain factors besides the ones before mentioned, that need to be in place, such as: availability of toxicological data; availability of data concerning mycotoxins incidence in the different feeds; homogeneousness of mycotoxins in the feeds (hot spots); availability of analytical methods for control of minimum detectable mycotoxin levels.
Therefore, some of the maximum tolerable concentrations of mycotoxins published in different articles, even the EU Legislation and/or EU recommendations, are lower than those that do not produce problems in the experimental cases. These are security and prevention measures.

Regards.

Gimeno

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister