Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mycotoxins- Contamination in Indian Feed and raw material

A Comprehensive Mapping of Mycotoxin Prevalence in India

Published: November 9, 2010
Summary
Abstract Kemin India has conducted a detailed survey to understand the mycotoxin prevalence pattern in poultry feed and feed raw materials from various regions in India. The study was carried out from Jan 2010 to July 2010 and comprised of 400 samples. The study revealed that, 393 out of 400 samples tested were contaminated with one or more mycotoxin i.e. 98% of sample collected was contaminat...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr.v.velan
Kemin Industries, Inc
R Kannan
Kemin Industries, Inc
Recommend
Comment
Dr S. Chandrasekar
Neospark Drugs and Chemicals Pvt.Ltd
9 de noviembre de 2010

Excellent work done by the authors. Though the information already available as qualitatively but this work revealed the quantitative details of the situation in India.

And I would like to add that, according to Mycopathologia and IJPS, poultry feed samples in India were also contaminated with Fumonisin and Citrinin as well as 30% of Aflatoxin positive samples had CPA also. These are mainly immunosuppressive and affecting the mineral utilization.

In the recent past quarter roughly about 15% and above feed ingredients were shown positive for Thirum and few other fungicide residues. Mainly in Souther AP, TN, Southern KA and Eastern region shown this response. And not much information about North and West.

Any how, It is premitive comprehensive work from the industry under subcontinental conditions alone. It favours the development of subsequent work by the industry.

Recommend
Arshaq Ramzee
10 de noviembre de 2010

A good work about Mycotoxin in India and authors and Kemin deserve all praise for compiling data on the toxins issue in India.

Recommend
Bishor
Bishor
11 de noviembre de 2010

Very nice and relevant article.In india most of food and feed manufacturers need a good solution to test the aflatoxin contamination in raw materials. with this concept in mind we have introduced a rapid field level aflatoxin test kit. This test can be used for screening the raw materials(chilly powder, grains or feed ingredients) at procurement site and this do not need any instruments. Specific cutoff can be adjusted in the kit and the samples which are above the cutoff value can be rejected. This test has now been implemented by many of the leading food and feed manufacturers in Kerala.

Dr V I Bishor
ubio Biotechnology Systems Pvt Ltd, Cochin, Kerala, India

Recommend
Ramachandran
17 de junio de 2011

VERY NICE AND VERY USEFUL ARTICLE. EXCUSE ME SIR, CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ON MYCOTOXIN RESEARCH AND DETOXIFICATION METHODS FOLLOWING IN INDIA?

Recommend
Vishwambar Navale
National Chemical Laboratory (NCL)
3 de septiembre de 2020
Nice work done by team, really helps to understand the situation of mycotoxin contamination in Indian food and feed. Moreover it is necessary to do the mycotoxin management with concern to food safety and consumers health.
Recommend
Biamen Mbatkam
27 de octubre de 2022
Very good work. Please l need to now if some sample have the influence to mycotoxines contamination. For exemple comparing Soya to ground nuit cake. Il there is différence what Can be influence ? Thank you to your response
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.