Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Aflatoxin M1 Residues in Milk and their Impact on Human Health

Published: January 21, 2014
Summary
Aflatoxins B1 and M1. Biotransformation   Aflatoxin B1 (AFB1) is a toxic secondary metabolite produced by several strains of Aspergillus, basically by Aspergillus flavus  and Aspergillus parasiticus . Aspergillus is considered an “storage fungi”: a temperature of 25 O C and a water activity (wa) of 0.83-0.95 are ideal conditions for growth and mycotoxin production.&...
Related topics
Authors:
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Fernando Tamames
Special Nutrients
21 de enero de 2014

From the moment that the cow eats feed contaminated with Aflatoxin B1 how long it takes to be found as Aflatoxin M1 in milk?

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
21 de enero de 2014
Dear Fernando, As indicated in the article, cows can transform aflatoxin B1 (AFB1) into aflatoxin M1 (AFM1) within 6 to 24h after consuming contaminated complete feedingstuffs with AFB1. However, in some cases with aflatoxin B1 contamination in the complete feedingstuff of 5500 ppb, aflatoxin M1 was found in the milk within 3 to 6 hours after the consumption of AFB1. Best regards Gimeno
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
22 de enero de 2014

Dear Fernando,

Continuing with my answer, I tell you that, if we consider a consumption of 30 kg of the contaminated complete feedingstuff (over wet matter)/cow/day, with 400 ppb of aflatoxin B1 and an average milk production of 20 Lts, the milk contamination with aflatoxin M1 can be 10-13 ppb, within 6 to 24 h.

In the same feeding conditions and the same milk production, with a complete feedingstuff contaminated with 5500 ppb of aflatoxin B1, the milk contamination with aflatoxin M1 can be 160-180 ppb, within 3 to 6 h.

Best regards.

Gimeno

Fernando Tamames
Special Nutrients
27 de enero de 2014
If the transformation process is so fast then if you use a mycotoxin adsorbent how fast should it reduce the level of M1 in milk?
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
27 de enero de 2014

Dear Fernando,

These mycotoxin adsorbents (mixed with the feed), should be able in the gastrointestinal tract to form irreversible complexes with beta-cetolactone and alfa-bislactone groups of the AFB1 molecule. These non toxic complexes will be then eliminated in the feces.

In this case, the process to reduce or avoid a continuous milk contamination with aflatoxin M1 can takes 24-48 h.

Best regards

Gimeno

Srdjan Nesic
New Life Mills Ltd.
16 de abril de 2014
How about the other toxins, for example zearalenone? Is any data that you have about the excretion of ZEA into milk? How many hours after cows being fed with feed naturally contaminated with ZEA, can we detected metabolites into milk? Regards, Srdjan
adiljabar
6 de abril de 2019
Srdjan Nesic my dear my work about zearalenone concentration in milk .no detected in milk after administration of zon 1000 micrograms daily in dairy goats for 14 days With my regard Dr.Adil
ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
28 de abril de 2014
Dear Mr. Srdjan Nesic, I know that my father would be very pleased to answer you and to give you assistance. Nevertheless, I am very sad to inform you that my father is not able to answer you, because he is no longer among us. Carla Barreto
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister