Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Use of sodium bentonite in poultry feed

Published: June 4, 2013
By: Lok Raj Joshi

Corn-soya based mash diet has problem in flowing in the feeder and it gets stuck in the bridge. Some of the literature say that sodium bentonite can be mixed at the rate of 2kg/ton to overcome this problem. I need practical suggestion regarding use of sodium bentonite in poultry mash feed. And is there any other more effective solution to this problem other than using clay?

Related topics
Authors:
Lok Raj Joshi
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr.C.S.Bedi
Guybro Chemical
6 de junio de 2013

Sodium bentonite could be the answer for your above mentioned problem but will not give you very satisfactory results. Sodium bentonite, due to its sodium salt, is hygroscopic in nature. It may be unable to control the problem up to satisfactory extent, further it increases more sodium levels in the poultry diet. The next alternative choice is calcium bentonite, it is less hygroscopic than sodium bentonite with benefits of having less sodium content in diet. Before using of bentonite in feed following important points are to be considered:
As per Gray et al., 1998, (Bentonite (0.5 %) decreases the anticoccidial effects of low levels of monensin (55 mg/kg) and salinomycin (22 mg/kg). Bentonite (2 %) makes tilmicosin ineffective (Shryock et al., 1994). Robenidine (and ipronidazole and buquinolate) were found to be incompatible with bentonite.
References are available that supplementation of manganese is necessary when chickens are fed diets containing bentonite, since it may interfere with manganese availability.

I would suggest the best alternative here is HSCAS (hydrated sodium calcium alluminosilicate), is a broad spectrum toxin binder, absorbs excess moisture from the feed quickly, makes feed free flowing and free from the lumps, suggested to be added 1kg/ ton of feed.

Dr. C.S. Bedi,
Shubbhangee Paatil

Guybro chemical, Mumbai

Shirin farsad
12 de marzo de 2022
Dr.C.S.Bedi Hello. I am researcher . I very interested in formulation of toxin binder in poultry and livestock . thank you for guiding .my Dear Professor
Lok Raj Joshi
6 de junio de 2013
Many thanks Dr. Bedi. I had thought HSCAS binds the molds and toxins and didn't have knowledge about its other useful features. Doc I still have one confusion, do the products like UTTP, Bantox, Toximar which contain certain amount of HSCAS when used @ 1kg/ton can help to overcome this problem?
Dr.C.S.Bedi
Guybro Chemical
7 de junio de 2013
Thanks Mr. Joshi, Products mentioned by you might have certain amount of HSCAS but in less quantity to meet your requirements, you are suggested to use 100% HSCAS that would be effective solution to get rid from moisture problem and keep feed free flowing, but please be sure that the product is Dioxin free. Dr. C. S. Bedi Guybro Chemical, Mumbai
Lok Raj Joshi
8 de junio de 2013
Thanks Mr. Bedi I will try to find 100% HSCAS product if it is available in the market and will let you know about the results.
Bibek Bandhu Regmi
18 de junio de 2013
We have been using Alusil MOS Plus of Stallen @1.75Kg/ton feed with satisfactory results. Please let us know if you find 100% HSCAS in the market.
Udhayachandran M
Suguna Group
25 de junio de 2013
Thanks to all, All of you give a solution for moisture related issues in finished feed flow in feeder and cake formation. Some times the same issues observe, while using more than 7% oil(total oil% will be above 10% in finished feed along with RM oil)in high energy feed. What is your recommendation for avoid the issues while using high oil% in formula? Please. With regards, M.Udhayachandran, Coimbatore
Rk Walter
21 de julio de 2013
Yes I would like to know more on combination of Sod/or Cal Bentonite with activated charcoal as an idea Toxin binder as well the choicest adsorbing agent rk walter
Rick Aya-ay
8 de agosto de 2013
Dear guys I think the best alternative to prevent and control mycotoxicosis is the processed Calcium Bentonite if you want an optimum result however we need to know how severe the clinical signs before we come up with what dosage we used. To know HSCAS is 100% there should be no added composition on it meaning it is purely HSCAS content. Other HSCAS is composed of clay , MOS, Betaglucan, Acids and others that kind of toxin binder is not 100% HSCAS. Actually Calcium and Sodium Bentonite belongs to HSCAS family. Rick
Apurva Mehta
Pratham Minechem
12 de septiembre de 2013
Agreed with Mr. Rick, term HSCAS, SMECTITE, MONTMORILLONITE & BENTONITE as synonyms of Bentonite Clay, can refer EFSA Journal 2011(1.2 clay identity) for more information. For more info on product kindly mail me at apurva@gunjanminerals.com, we are Indian based bentonite processor, are supplying to major feed manufacturer like Suguna, KSE, Cargil, Vinayak Ingredients & other small manuf.
Rick Aya-ay
6 de noviembre de 2013
Thanks Mr. Apurva and i hope we could share more ideas about HSCAS for mycotoxin control. You can reach me at my email ad:rick_ayaay@yahoo.com Best regards Rick Aya-ay BRACKISH TRADING PHILIPPINES
Apurva Mehta
Pratham Minechem
11 de noviembre de 2013
Mr. R K Walter, could you plz mail me your mail id and contact details to share more info on Bentonite as interested ?? my mail id is apurvatalks@gmail.com or apurva@gunjanminerals.com cell: 0 987 9077 667
Banani Gantayat
Cargill
8 de julio de 2014
UTPP product is dioxin free
Apurva Mehta
Pratham Minechem
8 de julio de 2014
Ms. Banani, could you plz elaborate more
Arulmani
28 de enero de 2022
Very nice and useful discussion about toxin binders
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister