Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

GMO-corn in animal feed

Published: May 16, 2012
By: Hennie Du Toit

Can we use GMO corn in dairy rations? It is well known that cattle do not utilize GMO maize remains, or they utilize it very poorly. Can it be something in the maize or is it only in the remains?

Related topics
Authors:
Hennie Du Toit
NWK
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Mike Watkins
Mike Watkins
25 de julio de 2012
Hennie: I have never heard that cattle, dairy or otherwise, could not use GMO corn very well. I'd like to know where you got such information. It sounds like someone with an agenda against GMO crops all together, but I dont't know that. I have also been to South Africa and never heard such claims there or anywhere. Mike Watkins Biomin America
Hennie Du Toit
NWK
26 de julio de 2012
Mike, Thank you for your comment. One of the farmers that I assist, went to a study group where one of the lecturers (a animal feed fundi?) told them not to use GMO maize in dairy rations. I know that cattle do not utilize GMO maize rests (remains) very well. A lot of farmers have noticed that already in the north west province of South Africa. But I never heard anything about the maize itself. Not even in one of our animal science congresses. Thanks again.
Mike Watkins
Mike Watkins
26 de julio de 2012
Hennie: As I'm sure you know most of the corn varieties planted in the US are GMO. Much of that is planted for silage for dairy rations and fed as a major ingredient in lactation rations. The beef feedlot industry feeds a lot of the remains (stalks) for fiber in rations because hay and other forages are in short supply (drought) and cost too much. They also feed a lot of silage in some regions, both corn and sorghum silages from GMO and conventional varieties. The only reason I know of for not feeding dry stalks to lactating dairy cattle is because of the low digestibility whether the corn is a GMO or a conventional variety. I'm sure they could be a part of some rations because straw is added to some rations for scratch factor and energy dilution where needed. Regards, Mike
Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
11 de febrero de 2014
There is discussion that certain varieties (NOT most) of GMO corn do not grind well. When introduced into the grinder, the corn is turned into a fine powder and yield (out of the grinder) is reduced. I don't know which varieties, how often, implications for feeding value, etc., but this is something that is at least being discussed. It would be wise for everyone to learn more about this, and not turn a blind eye to a potential problem that could likely be fixed.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister