Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Dietary Fibre, the Forgotten Nutrient?

Published: September 9, 2016
Summary
In modern poultry nutrition, traditional fibre sources are associated with some negative attributes such as energy dilution of the diet and mycotoxin contamination and are usually not included during linear formulation. However, fibre is also suggested to have a positive effect on the intestinal microflora and the intestinal health including for poultry. While some nutritionists believe that crud...
Related topics
Authors:
Jacky Michard
Hubbard breeders
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr. Manfred Pietsch
JRS - J.Rettenmaier & Söhne
15 de septiembre de 2016

Very good article. A recently published paper from a Polish University confirms your statement that insoluble fiber increase the growth of beneficial bacteria and inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. Pak Vet J 2015, 35(2): 212-216. They used different Level of an insoluble crude fiber concentrate made of lignocellulose in Broilers. The researchers could see at almost all inclusion level (between 0,25 and 1 %) a significant increase in lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria and at the same time a signifgicant reduction in e coli and clostridia in Ileum and caeca.

Joe Stanyer
Farmer Joe Group
15 de septiembre de 2016
EXPERIENCE WITH TURKEYS further confirms this trend. Even Free Range Turkeys, with enhanced fibre intake, still go crazy when given access to fresh bedding. I estimate consumption of 60-70% of bedding material within a few days. Feed text books recommend a maximum fibre of 4-5% in Turkey Rations, but the high dilution rate from bedding produces minimal effect on growth or FCE. We are now developing higher fibre rations based on tropical ingredients.
Jacky Michard
Hubbard breeders
22 de septiembre de 2016

Thank-you. The article "Pak Vet J 2015, 35(2): 212-216" mention "There was no significant effect of lignocellulose inclusion into the diet on broiler performance indices" and as you know in broiler, technical and economical performances are the driving force.
So two comments:
- Results is the field or in the "real world" can be different especially when we talk about gut balance and mortality.
- There are many sources of insoluble fiber. Some work show positive results using oat hulls for instance. A cheap raw material in some place.

Dr. Arthur Kroismayr
Agromed Austria GmbH
22 de septiembre de 2016
Thanks for the nice article the highlights again the importance to chose the right types of fibre to get positive effects in poultry. One important comment on Fermentability and Solubility: That´s two different parameters which must not be mixed up. Soluble means degradable in the SMALL intestine. Fermentable means metabolized by gut microbiota in the LARGE intestine. It´s true that soluble raw materials (f.e. pectins) often contain as well fermentable fractions, but its not an automatism! The physiologically best fibre source is one that is insoluble (in the small intestine) BUT (partly) fermentable (in the large intestine). Such a fibre source combines the positive physical (mechanical) effects with prebiotic effects (= enhancement of positive bacteria growth in the large intestine producing higher amounts of SCFA) Recent studies conducted at the University of New England (AUS) by a group of researchers (Choct, Swick, Wu, Kheravii) clearly prove that lignocellulose containing insoluble AND fermentable fibre enhances production of lactic and butyric acid in the large intestine of Broilers. http://www.poultryscience.org/psa16/abstracts/12.pdf The combination of insoluble fibre which can be fermented at the same time in the large intestine is very beneficial to the formation of butyric acid. Butyric acid is THE key for a healthy gut and improved energy supply of the bird.
Ismet Mamode
Food & Allied Group of Companies
23 de septiembre de 2016
Nice comments and explanation especially from Dr. A. Kroismayr.
Dr. Hassan Kazim
24 de septiembre de 2016
Kindly sorry to understand ur topic is to large to understand kindly divert in small Pieces to easy to understand for better ans. Thank-you brother
Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
24 de septiembre de 2016
Very interesting and would be great to have as well some comments on how pigs cope with soluble and indigestible or more fermentable fibre. They have higher digestive capacity, so more to benefit from. Thanks for the paper, Rafa from Spain.
Dr. Manfred Pietsch
JRS - J.Rettenmaier & Söhne
25 de septiembre de 2016
It is right, oat hulls will do as well in a certain extend a good job. Just need to find a source with a reasonable mycotoxin contamination. Thinking about oats is important to distinguish between the hulls and the bran. Oat hulls contain more then 99 % insoluble fiber while oat bran conains more than 50 % soluble fiber
Aminu Abdullahi Umar
25 de septiembre de 2016
Hi, Nice contribution!! Grateful for it.
Nasser H Odetallah
BioResource International, Inc
26 de septiembre de 2016

Thanks for the great comments from all. Indeed, during these hard times with expensive SBM and corn prices, turning to higher fiber cheaper ingredients will truly help reduce feed costs

Jacky Michard
Hubbard breeders
27 de septiembre de 2016
If you want to introduce fiber and/or reduce feed cost: - to lower ME level in you feed and in broiler for instance, accept a slight increase in FCR. Effect in growth may not be great. - to secure quality control of your local and high fiber raw material.
Dr. Ali Mashhood
3 de octubre de 2016
Thank you for such an informative article, helped so much in understanding more about fiber
Rodel Villaraza
4 de octubre de 2016
Dear collegues, Nice article and comments. When i graduated my b.s. studies i learned to limit the crude fiber of my formulation based on the animals and its age as we know that nutrients are compromise by the effect of fiber. Through the years of practice and seminars i have learned much of the positive use of dietary fiber which i always incorporate in my formulations especially the younger ones. Dietary fiber used in animals same with humans is for nutriceutical effect. Dr. Kroismayr gave a good definition and explanation on the topic. i do used lignocellulose fiber as dietary fiber source, however i found other source that i think has more advantage than that of lignocellulose. we should know the proper combination of insoluble and soluble fiber.
Kamaran Abbas
4 de octubre de 2016

As recommended level of crude fiber in broilers should not exceed 5% in the final feed. But can we increase more than 5%, especially during grower and finisher phase?

lenie colcol
11 de octubre de 2016

Interesting topic
Thanks!

Lawal Sesan
16 de octubre de 2016

Fibre, as explained, is a forgotten nutrient but very important in a formulation for some reasons. In poultry production if it's too high the birds may not perform as expected and its complete absence is still not very good. Therefore, there is need to balance the fibre and be sure it does not exceed the limit of broilers, cockreal and layers.

Imran Hassan
20 de octubre de 2016

Excellent!

Damien Hubaut
INVE Belgie NV
3 de febrero de 2017

Hi everybody, i think that we forget to speak about the type of the fiber. Is it soluble fibre or non soluble fiber !!! very important ...

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister