Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Antioxidants, Gross Energy and Cost Savings

Published: October 20, 2010
Summary
Oils and fats are used in feed formulations and are susceptible to oxidative spoilage. In foods and feeds, oxidation is an automatic and irreversible process by which molecular oxygen combines with nutrients in food and feed to decrease the quality of the food and feed creating rancidity. The main problems that are associated with the autoxidation of feeds are (a) destruction of fat soluble vit...
Related topics
Authors:
Ms Lin Huixin
Kemin Industries, Inc
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Sugumar Chinnadurai
Kemin Industries, Inc
20 de octubre de 2010
Good article.. The calculation of financial losses due oil spoilage is very interesting. Apart from gross energy losses due to rancidity, there will be reduction in the vitamins and other additives level in the final feed,when we use damaged oil in poultry feed.
Arshaq Ramzee
21 de octubre de 2010
Author Ms. Lin did an excellent work to establish financial impact of oxidation of oils. Antioxidants play very important role not only to preserve stability of oils but also other products by preventing the products from the process of oxidation. I must request author to extend her study to calculate the financial impact of oxidation on grains or any other product used in feed formulation. Especially in Pakistan, where commercial feed producers are manufacturing low density and low energy diets virtually without the addition of any oil or fat and still they are economically viable and profitable. I wish, if Ms. Lin could put some light on the use of antioxidants on grains and other materials too with the financial impact.
Dr Jaydip Mulik
21 de octubre de 2010
Dear Ms Lin, The case study is a self explainatory that use of Antioxidants in Fat/Oil directly or in finished feed will save the energy losses in storage. But i have some below querries on the subject matter:... 1) Why you have selected the Crude palm oil as study material as oxidative changes are more related with unsaturates so we expect you will work on the Soya crude oil in the same way. 2) The Oil sample collected & mentioned Zero day is immediate after oil production i.e. before staring the auto-oxidation reactions? 3) If samples collected at Zero days have not started any Oxidation reactions then after adding the antioxidant by which phenomenon energy will increase during the storage. eg.Sample II treated with Barox : Gross energy value at 0 day is 8490 Kcal/Kg, at 14 day 8660 kcal/kg & at 28 day 8710 Kcal/kg. 4) By which phenomenon after adding the antioxidants in Oil increases the gross energy in storage too. Please elaborate the same to upgrade our knowledge. Thanks & regards, Dr Jaydip
Kamalmousa Ghedan
12 de octubre de 2016
Thanks
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister