Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Strategies for Heat Detection and Timing of Artificial Insemination

Published: December 6, 2012
Summary
The bottom line when measuring reproductive performance of a dairy herd is days open/calving interval. Three major components of days open are: Heat detection efficiency. Conception rate. Days to first service. Days to first service is determined by the voluntary waiting period (time after calving that allows for uterine involution and resumption of normal cycling activity) and heat detecti...
Related topics
Authors:
Ray Nebel
Select Sires Inc.
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Joe Magadi
UFAC
17 de mayo de 2013
A very interesting approach to breeding programme. Prof Phil Garnsworthy of Nottingham University in UK observed that a more strategic way of energy supplementation to transition cow is to feed a glucogenic ration up to ovulation and then follow on with lipogenic type of diet. While this approach may work to enhance fertility it is realistically not very easy to implement on the farm. Can you comment on this approach in relation to the target breeding programme? Also, in trying to develop a glucogenic/lipogenic all-in-one energy supplement for the transition cow what critical points would one need to consider?
Yusuf Ziya Cakir
11 de junio de 2013
The key factor for successful reproduction is effective herd management program based on your herd needs and production performance. If you monitor your herd by using computer herd management softwares you can have database about your herd performance and you can put your own breeding program on your agenda in more realistic and specified for your herd's needs. Reproductive success can be achieved in healthy and well managed herds.
Ella Marks
10 de octubre de 2015
Hi there! I am a student in the UK and I am completing a research project on dairy farming, particularly investigating the impacts of reproductive technology on increasing milk yield, in comparison to nutritional and environmental factors. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to complete a questionnaire I have generated to gather primary research: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/63C36VL Thank you!
Yusuf Ziya Cakir
12 de octubre de 2015
Your ssurvey is done Ella
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister