Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Is rumen functioning modified when animals are reared under lower oxygen pressure conditions (high mountains)?

Published: January 28, 2016
By: Dr. Alfredo J. Escribano
I would thank information.
Related topics
Authors:
Alfredo J. Escribano
Orffa Excentials
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Norbert Trattner
DSM-Firmenich
5 de febrero de 2016
I would rather say that that the composition of vegetation (more herbs) plus an eventuual lack of energy can alter fatty acid compsition towards 18:3n-3. Also the amount of n-6 containing small grains and maize might lead to an elevated omega-3 content. The effect of herbs in the vegetation could alter rumen function but I think this is still quiet a black box. In this paper researcher saw a difference (http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/AN12109.htm) with cows fed at different altidudes but I cannot see if this is again maybe due to vegetation or lack of energy in plants eaten.
Alfredo J. Escribano
Orffa Excentials
5 de febrero de 2016
Dear Norbert, Interesting comment. Thank you very much.
Prof Irvin Mpofu
8 de febrero de 2016
The rumen does not need oxygen so it is unlikely. Most likely effect is on slowed metabolism at cellular level which the animals acclimatise to over time.
Alfredo J. Escribano
Orffa Excentials
10 de febrero de 2016
Dear Prof. Mpofu, My question was focused on the second topic you mentioned: changed metabolism and its effects on rumen functioning. Thank you, Regards, Alferdo J. Escribano.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister