Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Practical biosecurity in today’s dairy industry

Published: March 9, 2007
Summary
We read and hear a great deal about biosecurity, but what it actually means in terms of changes we need to make in practical management is not always clear. Biosecurity refers to practices intended to make herds more secure against biologic risks, meaning contagious diseases. The most significant risk factor for introducing a new disease onto a dairy farm is purchasing new animals. Yet, in the ...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Helga Dietrich
Organic Farm & garden Supplies
10 de marzo de 2007
Rating 5 for this article is correct in my opinion - however as always too little knowledge and information seems to exist on highly effective natural alternative technologies. I am working for more than 10 years with such a technology (registered with the EU and most other international organizations and complying to all rules for organic farming and environmental prolem solving) which was developed in Germany and is used in more than 20 countries most succesfully. The EU made a most successful 3 year trial itself with animal waste (details available from me). E.g. one produc t of the whole range can be used to eliminate many of the disease problems mentioned in this article in the trucks, at the herds where the animals come from and of course at the new home area, on pastures, in stables, the manure etc.- no patogenic bacteria etc. will survice - the whole environment becomes aerobe which answers the question why no diseases will survive additionally one can administer a feed additive (5 gr per calf, 10 gr. per cow and 30g per pregnant cow just before calving (eliminates in most cases calving problems)) which cleanses the rumon from parasites, reduces somatic cell counts, increases performance and production of the animals (by the way same counts for pigs, horses etc.), thus the pings become also more aerobe (also lesser methane gass into the atmosphere). In case of mastitis which b ecomes quite rare when applying this most cost effective technoloty there is also a natural (like all the products) remedy. Another interesting double effect: Use it on pastures. Usually cows dont feed from all the dark green bushles of grass growing out of the pings. Once or twice a year when rotating the animals disperse the pings on the ground with a harrow. During, after or before spray the pasture with 500 g/ha with the same product as mentioned on top (b est do this once a year with every field). Double Solution: The grass will be eaten, the ground will be fertilized. Water Quality not at its best? Easy and inexpensively to solve with these produts. Our devices last for more than 20 years, need no external power, no cleaning, no filters, no cartridges. For any questions and details please contact me. I hope this basic information will create the necessary interest amongst farmers, research and industry as we all have the responsibility to protect our planet and that usally cannot be done with chemicals - not real sustainability. Regards to all, Helga
Helga Dietrich
Organic Farm & garden Supplies
10 de marzo de 2007
Correction on comment from Helga: Sorry, I have just found a few typing mistakes: Here come my comments corrected: Rating 5 for this article is correct in my opinion - however as always too little knowledge and information seems to exist on highly effective natural alternative technologies. I am working for more than 10 years with such a technology (registered with the EU and most other international organizations and complying to all rules for organic farming and environmental problem solving) which was developed in Germany and is used in more than 20 countries most successfully. The EU made a most successful 3 year trial itself with animal waste (details available from me). E.g. one product of the whole range can be used to eliminate many of the disease problems mentioned in this article in the trucks, at the herds where the animals come from and of course at the new home area, on pastures, in stables, the manure etc.- no pathogenic bacteria etc. will survice - the whole environment becomes aerobe which answers the question why no diseases will survive additionally one can administer a feed additive (5 gr per calf, 10 gr. per cow and 30g per pregnant cow just before calving (eliminates in most cases calving problems)) which cleanses the rumen from parasites, reduces somatic cell counts, increases performance and production of the animals (by the way same counts for pigs, horses etc.), thus the pings become also more aerobe (also lesser methane gas into the atmosphere). In case of mastitis which b ecomes quite rare when applying this most cost effective technology there is also a natural (like all the products) remedy. Another interesting double effect: Use it on pastures. Usually cows dont feed from all the dark green bushels of grass growing out of the pings. Once or twice a year when rotating the animals disperse the pings on the ground with a harrow. During, after or before spray the pasture with 500 g/ha with the same product as mentioned on top (b est do this once a year with every field). Double Solution: The grass will be eaten, the ground will be fertilized. Water Quality not at its best? Easy and inexpensively to solve with these products. Our devices last for more than 20 years, need no external power, no cleaning, no filters, no cartridges. For any questions and details please contact me. I hope this basic information will create the necessary interest amongst farmers, research and industry as we all have the responsibility to protect our planet and that usually cannot be done with chemicals - not real sustainability. Regards to all, Helga
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister