Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Fat supplements for dairy

What to consider about Commercial Fat Supplements

Published: January 19, 2012
Summary
The debate as to the effectiveness of various forms of fat supplements in supplying the energy deficit to lactating dairy cows in early lactation is live. It is perhaps refreshing to review the general properties of the commercially available rumen-protected/inert fats. Designated digestive characteristics Fat supplements generally carry the label of "rumen-protected/inert" if they are de...
Related topics
Authors:
Joe Magadi
UFAC
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Jaime Alcañiz
1 de febrero de 2012

Mr Magadi

Than you very much for you interesting article but I would like to add some comments. You say that calcium salts decrease DMI and milk yield and you based your comment in the study made by Weiss and Wyatt (2004). I would like to note that in this article when cows were fed with 1.7% of Calcium salt, DMI increased and whne the quantity of calcium salt increase to 3.4%, milk production increased more than 5 litre/cow/day in spite of DMI was reduced. There are a lot of works made with calcium salts that DMI was not decreased, specially when calcium salt was included below 3% like Fouladi-Nasha et al (2007), Garnsworthy et al. (2008), moallem et al. 2000).... I agree with you that high % of calcium salts tend to decrease DMI but calcium salts used at dose under 3% don't produce any problem on DMI and increase milk production and milk efficiency.

I would like to know some results about dry fats because you don’t show any data about dry fats. Thanks and best regards

Dr.Thirumeignanam, D.,
1 de febrero de 2012
Dear Mr Magadi, Thank you for your valuble information. I also agree with Jaime Alcañiz that If we are adding calcium salt of fatty acid @ morthan 3 or 5% of diet , It reduce the dry matter intake . As rightly you have said that hydrogenated fat have low digestibility in post rumen also. Kindly provide more information on Dry fat, if you have. Thanks and regards
Dr.v.velan
Kemin Industries, Inc
18 de abril de 2012

Dear Jaime

You are absolutly right. Calcium Soaps of Fatty acids - By Pass Fat actualy shown lot of benefits to the dairy cows in term of over coming the Negative Energy Balance , Improving the Body Score Condition, Butter Fat and increae in milk quantity. The simple precaution one should take while feeding the Calcium Sopas of Fatty acids is to adopt the animal to the product mixed feed for couple of days to over come the possibilities of reduced feed in take which may be noticed in some animals. If we adopt the animal properly there is issue on feeding Calcium Soaps of Fatty acids and the farmer can get the rich benefits.

Thanks & Regards

Dr.V.Velan

Joe Magadi
UFAC
19 de abril de 2012

Dr Velan,

Our experience with calcium soaps is that despite getting the cow to acclimatise to the product still you have some level of reduced DMI. This is commonly noticed with high yielding dairy cows whose rumen pH conditions are relatively low due to high concentrate feeding. As a result there is dissociation of the product into fatty acids and Calcium with later upsetting cellulolytic microbial fermentation.

Bharath Reddy
Kemin Industries, Inc
20 de noviembre de 2012
Joe s you rightly pointed out that the oils/fats with optimal ratio of unsaturated to saturated fatty acidsmakes a considerable difference especially when it reaches abomasum.Its good to know that the dry fats has got this advantage?Can you throw some more light on dry fats? Thanks&Regards,
Jiwan Gupta
20 de noviembre de 2012
NOW A DAYS MANY COMPANIES HAVE LAUNCHED SO CALLED BYEPASS FATS.ACTUALLY MANY OF THESE ARE ACTUALLY NOT BYEPASS OR RUMEN PROTECTED.SO SUCH FATS WHEN GIVEN AT DOSAGE OF MORE THAN 200GM PER DAY PER ANIMAL RESULTS IN CONSIDERABLE DISTURBANCE IN FIBRE DIGESTION AND HENCE RUMEN DYSFUNCTION AND RESULTING IN REDUCED DMI AND MILK YIELD.SUPPLEMENTATION OF LIVE YEAST COULD BE VERY HELPFUL IN SUCH CASES.
Diaa Eldien
21 de noviembre de 2012

We must add protected fat to the high producing cow to cover requirements for energy at maximam 3% from dry matter intake .

Samy  Ibrahim Barakat
26 de noviembre de 2012

I agree with you MAGADI that the product reduced DMI specially high yieliding cows if it increased more than 3.5%

Joe Magadi
UFAC
26 de noviembre de 2012

For those doubting the effect of calcium soaps on DMI please read the review paper, " Effect of Diet on Short-Term Regulation of Feed Intake by Lactating Dairy Cattle", by M S Allen of Michigan State University in 2000 J Dairy Sci. 83: 1598-1624, specifically page 1612.

Our fat supplements are made from vegetable and marine oils processed on cereal fibre under specific temperature and duration. The oils are adsorbed into the matrix of the carrier base leaving no free-floating fatty acid globules to coat fibre and impact negatively on rumen fermentation. More importantly, the carrier material is ground to a specific particle size that enables the product to be washed way rapidly from the rumen in the liquor. Because of the short residence time in the rumen, the fats have minimal opportunity to upset microbial fermentation. Downstream the fatty acids are slowly released, digested and absorbed in the blood stream to provide the liver with the energy for milk production.

Qamar Abbas
27 de marzo de 2013
thanx nice informative article.but my questionis protected fat increase milk fat? if yes to what extent and plz tell me to increase my farm milk fat ,except good quality fibers what other things i have to adopt?
Samy  Ibrahim Barakat
27 de marzo de 2013
to increase fat u can increase fiber (specialy long fiber ) percentage
Dr. Inam Ullah Khan
11 de abril de 2013

I would like to know that when we want to shift dairy cow from one company calcium soap to other, can we shift it abruptly or slowly? Please throw some light.

Joe Magadi
UFAC
11 de septiembre de 2013
Inam, changing any dietary regime of a dairy cow always requires that the animal is given time to adapt. This is also true with the metabolic adjustment the animal's body needs to make to be able to cope with functionality of the feedstuff. Calcium soaps are particularly bitter in taste so there will be a need for some time to get used to the fat supplement. I would suggest a week of adaptation.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister