Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Performance of dairy cows facing suspected mycotoxin problems

Published: August 27, 2012
Summary
Mycotoxins are well known for their effects on monogastric animals. Ruminants, until recently, were considered 'protected' against this problem through the detoxification action of rumen flora. However, due to the possible aflatoxin M1 (metabolite of the AFB1), contamination of milk for human consumption, almost all countries worldwide have adopted registrations on this carcinogenic component. Th...
Related topics
Authors:
Erwan Leroux
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr.harish Bhongade
28 de agosto de 2012

Excellent article about Mycotoxin in dairy cows express clear indicators certain parameters

Dr.S. Mathan Kumar
28 de agosto de 2012

I really appreciate the effort of the author for this article about Mycotoxin in dairy cows, in my opinion, how ever the study results could have been more appropriate if it could have conveyed the trial herd's average Days in milk(DIM) and same parity for the uniformity of the production changes.

Thanks

Dr.shahzad  Naveed Jadoon
Alltech
28 de agosto de 2012

Good piece of information about Mycotoxin in dairy cows. It is established fact that metabolites of AFBI is sever problem for herdman and processors. I am wondering how are able to fix the batch vatiation of raw materials, the important thing in such trial is what is feed formulation and ingrdients being used. we all need to develop proper protocol otherwise there are N number of factors affecting the final results. Appriciate author initiative.

Erwan Leroux
Neovia
3 de septiembre de 2012

Dear,

Thank you comments. As you mentioned, it is particularly difficult to evaluate Mycotoxin in dairy cows.
Nowadays, when the main diseases / disorders have been excluded in farm, and still problems of production are present, we are now convinced that mycotoxins are involved and not only aflatoxins ! These first results are confirmed every days when T5X is selling to dairy cows farmers.

Staying at your disposal
Erwan LEROUX
T5X product manager, NEOVIA

Sujay.s.chougule
11 de septiembre de 2012
Dear Sir, The article of mycotoxin topic is really good,to your content can you guide for a query in our indian conventional manual mixing of toxin binder usage and dosage at ppm observed.What basic parameters can be evaluated to see the better functioning of toxin binder added. Pls let us know the dosage and the measurement of change to be seen after a week period and the biochemical analysis of observation. Sujay Chougule sujay.chougule@yahoo.com Mumbai.
Erwan Leroux
11 de septiembre de 2012

Dear Mr Sujay,

I don't know the productive context in India. Nowadays, from what i know, I will try to answer you on my best way…

If you look on the scientific literature, it is very difficult to have a biochemical marker when speaking about mycotoxins. In fact, for each one mycotoxin in dairy cows (I am not speaking about mycotoxin family but clearly about each molecule) it has to be found one biomarker for EACH species.
Today some biomarkers have been identified for some mycotoxins and only for poultry species and pigs (plus lab animals such as mouse, rat…). But for ruminants the scientists did not found right now such markers in order to follow the health of the animals regarding mycotoxin(s).
Then, as you know, ruminants have four intestines, at the difference of monogastrics. If a diet change is applied to monogastrics, in few hours the results can be observed into the blood of the animals. This is not the case for ruminants, when the rumine will buffered the diet change, and the blood changing will appear few days even few weeks after.

So from my experience, I can not advise you to follow especially some biomarkers for ruminants due to the lack of scientific publication on it. And if you want to observe the effects of anti-mycotoxin solutions, you have to follow the zootechnical parameters (daily milk production, protein and fat milk content, somatic cell counts, reproductive parameters…) for at least 2 weeks before to observe some changings.

Regards,

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister