Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mastitis in buffalo

Pathobiology, etiology and novel mastitis therapy in buffalo

Published: January 27, 2012
Summary
Abstract              Milk pH of 21 dairy buffaloes suffering from clinical mastitis ranged from 7.00-8.50. Citrate content of mastitic milk ranged from 24.00-47.50 mg /100ml. Cultured milk yielded Staphylococci, Streptococci , Escherichia coli , Bacilli and Klebsiella . The animals were treated with 12gm and 30gm of tri-Sodium citrate in 250 ml of water ...
Related topics
Authors:
Jasmer Singh
Recommend
Comment
Jasmer Singh
18 de abril de 2012

Hello WH

Regarding your query I put it for you. We started with 12gms initially for the treatment of mastitis in bovines. This treatment took up to 13 days for curing the cases. We slowly increased the dose of tri-Sodium citrate and cut-short the duration of treatment to 3-5 days with 30gms orally daily for complete cure depending upon the severity of the disease. Thereafter, we standardised the I/V dose for this salt with graded levels of concentrations ( !% to 10%)given I/V to young calves and found 5% most safe and then tested in mastitis affected cows and buffaloes. We got spectacularly succesfull results in curing these clinical cases with tri-Sodium citrate ( TSC). This treatment was interestingly very effective against refrectory/resistant cases of long-standing and even recurrently affected animals.

Now it is upto you to select any scedule as all have proven safe and desirably most effective.
Please do convey your progress with the investigations for further discussions.

with regards Jasmer

Recommend
Jasmer Singh
13 de junio de 2012

Hello Dr WH
I am writing to you after a long gap. It is hoped that you have already undertaken the treatment of mastitis cases as envisaged in your correspondance. May I request you to please let me know the progress, if any, and the outcome from the proposed treatment of mastitis cases in cattle.

with regards Jasmer

Recommend
W. Harewood
15 de junio de 2012
Dear Dr Jasmer, Sorry about the delay in replying top your last two (2) communications! in fact only recently became aware , ie saw them! The update s as follows: 1. The hand-held pH meter, which i would use to measure the pH of mastitis milk, before the start of treatment. & the pH strips which would be given to the farmers to record the pH of mastitis milk while the animals are being treated;- have been finally obtained! 2. The 100mls bottles of the 5% TSC iv solution should be available next week. 3. The plan is to do a small study with 5-7 farms and treat about 40-50 cases of mastitis. The period May to September is generally wet and the incidence of mastitis is generally higher during these months, as compared to the dry season. Hence the desire to have started the study in May! it's now mid- June and i am still trying to get the project started. Hopefully it will be gen, as soon as the v solutions have been prepared. 4. WiLL keep you informed of the progress and would continue to appreciate your comments etc. Thanks a million for your interest and assistance to date. i remain Yours sincerely, Win
Recommend
Jasmer Singh
16 de junio de 2012
Hi WH It's a pleasure to here from you and the progress in the mission of investigations into mastitis treatment. Please keep it up and hope for the excellent outcome in your endeavours. Any other information you may like to share with me shall be welcome. With regards Jasmer
Recommend
Sujay.s.chougule
6 de septiembre de 2012
Dear Sir, Well documented sir but ,Its presently fallowed for the control of majorly clinical mastitis,as sub clinical mastitis people ignore which feels lack of awareness.To my mind first comes udder immunity i.e optimum stimulatg functioning of Keratin and residant cell population for the action of phagocytic and neutralising response.Amino acids such as cytokin g csf protein and L amino acid can help to minimise the somatic cell count (increase in mastitic cases)i.e sodium and chloride conc. Yes its a challenge to treat mastitis but precautionary measures feel dilugent in our country for the prevalence. Sujay Chougule Area Manager. Ayurvet ltd. sujay.chougule@yahoo.com
Recommend
Kishore Motwani
Zydus Animal Health Limited
6 de septiembre de 2012
After I/v-once loading dose of citrate is infused, can one also infuse citrate thru' intra-mammary route ? Any views
Recommend
Dr Muhammad Ramzan
7 de septiembre de 2012
An exellent article with good regime of treatment , although this sort of reatment was in use/ practice throughout the sub continent.Even in Pakistan LEMON PLUS CAMPHOR is being used for decades with different level of doses so different level of response. Any how goog formula to be praciced. best wishes for all
Recommend
Jasmer Singh
8 de septiembre de 2012
Hello Dr Motwani , There is no need to give I/M treatment. Treatment with TSC I/V or oral is the radical therapy and usually the I/M infusions do not reach the site of injury in the udder. Jasmer
Recommend
W. Harewood
10 de septiembre de 2012

Dear Dr Singh,

The investigation is proceeding slowly. To date, we have treated four (4) cases of clinical mastitis. We have been followed the treatment regime as suggested by you. However, we are not submitting samples for citrate levels, nor for bacterial culture.

I write seeking your comments on two cases.

One case presented with bloody milk in one of the two infected quarters and non-bloody milk in the other infected quarter. Both quarters have clots. The treatment regime resolved both quarters , which produced non-mastitis normal milk by the 5th day after the initiation of treatment.

My question is what do you suggest to be the cause for the bloody milk in this case?

The other case presented initially with enlarged quarter, the milk was normal at this stage, ie thee were not clots at this stage. Clots were observed the following day and treatment was initiated . The milk returned to normal on the fifth (5th) day after the initiation of treatment. However, the quarter was still enlarged.

My question is :- what would be the the reason (s) or possible reasons for this? In the previous cases the udder swelling and hardness were resolved concurrently with the return to non- mastitis milk, ie no clots in the milk and normal milk colour. In fact, this type of resolution of first three the three mastitis cases were favorably commented upon by the farmers involved. Now we have a 'different' type of resolution.

Your comment on these cases would be most appreciated. I look forward to them with interest.

Thanks.

wh

Recommend
Jasmer Singh
11 de septiembre de 2012
Hello WH I would advise you to proceed as below: 1. Record the clinical signs and grade them as depicted pictorially in our original paper " Pathobiology ,etiology ...etc". 2. First record the pH of the milk/ and or any secretion from the udder. 3 Try to estimate the citrate content in the milk / any secretion from affected quarter(s). 4. Then you may collect milk samples aseptically and go in for culturing etc. 5 In severe cases initiate the treatment I/ V and then follow orally, if necessary. 6. The complete cure usually takes up to 3-4days. The bleeding in the first case was due to severity of lijury caused by Calcium inthe udder, particularly on the inside of teat joining the quarter. This is due to the fact that the blood supply around thia area is fabulus as cavarnous blood vessels, hence bleeding. Resolution of the clinical signs are normally simultaneous with the treatment initiation. Any other information you may need pl do ask. with regards Jasmer
Recommend
Jasmer Singh
31 de octubre de 2012

Hello WH

Did not hear from you for quite some time and was tempted to corresspond with with you to know, if some more cases of mastitis in dairy animals have been attended to by you and the results thereof.

with regards Jasmer

Recommend
Khim Tan
6 de noviembre de 2012
Hi,Everybody, Please do not stop this interesting discussion, any update? If you have tried this mathod, please share with us.
Recommend
Ollie
2 de enero de 2013

Hello Dr Singh
This is an interesting forum. We have tried the 30gm for 5 days dose and have had good results in a number of animals but have had some come back with mastitis. Can you give the dose for longer and what are the effects if we did this? We have had 2 dry off the quarter. Why does this happen? Is there any advantage in giving a larger dose? We are an organic farm.
Regards
Ollie

Recommend
Jasmer Singh
3 de enero de 2013

Hello Mr Ollie, Thanks for your information and enquiry regarding some more aspects of the treatment. Since Citrate is the normal content in the body and most basic functions are dependant on its metabolism including milk production. Citrate is synthesized in the udder and whenever there is any disturbance in its processing mastitis is the usual outcome. Hence, the optimal citrate quantity in udder is an essentiality for the maintainance of suitable environments in the udder. As citrate is essential for the regulation of normal pH(~6.50) of milk in udder which in itself will not allow the establishment of usually isolated infecting organisms. Treatment of mastitis with Citrate, thus, is an asset at a Dairy Farm producing 'Organic Milk'. Because you don't have to discard milk, no withdrawl period and without any hazzards to the consumer. Hence, Citrate treatment can be extended for 10-15 days without any side-effects. To me it appears that the animals at your farm are having perpetually disturbed Citrate synthesis, hence, recurrenece of mastitis cases in animals. I would suggest you to monitor the pH of milk with graded pH paper strips/pen pH meter as a routine at the farm in lactating animals and replenish the deficiency of citrate with oral administeration of this salt. Furthermore, Citrate can also be used as a preventative to control the overall mastitis incidence at the farm. I would request you to correspond with me whenever you have any problem at the farm. Pl do communicate with me for any problem of this type.

with regards Jasmer

Recommend
Cedden
Ankara University
3 de enero de 2013

We will conduct an application with tri-sodium citrate in dairy cows of our farm. I will share the results soon. Any other advises other than above will be welcome... thank you.

Recommend
Jasmer Singh
3 de enero de 2013

Hello Mr Cedden, It's a pleasure to know that you are planning to apply tri-Sodium citrate for the treatment of mastitis at your dairy farm. I would request you to monitor the pH of milk from each lactating teat individually and keep a record of it. Also if possible estimate the Citrate content in milk regularly in lactating cows. This I suggest because there is an abiding relationship between these two parameters i.e., pH and Citrate in revealing the health of udder. Hence, whenever there is any visual change in the character of milk/udder and deviation in milk pH it predicts about the impending problem like mastitis. Therefore, administeration of tri-Sodium citrate @ 30gms orally in 100ml of drinking water can help before it becomes a serious disease. Administeration of Citrate as a preventative for mastitis at the farm can also be adopted through monitoring of pH and citrate of udder milk.

Any other information which you might think is welcome.

With regards Jasmer

Recommend
Cedden
Ankara University
8 de enero de 2013

Dear Mr Jasmer,

Thank you very much for your kind advices about trisodium citrate use in dairy cattle. It will be more informative to measure pH in the milk then we are in a position to do it. However, I have no any idea about estimating citrate content in the milk. If you know any simple method to do it, it will be very helpful. But we will do regularly analysis milk protein, fat and total dry matter content beside dily milk yield and somatic cell count thoughout the experiment.

With kind regards

F. Cedden

Recommend
Qamar Abbas
9 de enero de 2013

Very good effort. please tell me mechanism? is its purpose to change the ph of milk so microbes in udder can not survive? here peoples use lemon or tattare ?

Recommend
Jasmer Singh
9 de enero de 2013

Hello Mr Ceddon/Abbas

Citrate plays a very crucial role in the udder to maintain normal pH of milk i.e., ~ 6.50 (slightly acidic). At this pH the organisms usually isolated from mastitic milk can not grow and multiply. Citrate also sequester Calcium in udder and preserves its fluidity. Whenever there is disturbance in the synthesis of citrate in udder calcium ions become free which clumps together and form flakes that mocks lime and cause injury to the sorrounding tissues. The 'tight junctions' between secretory epithelium of udder become compromised due to swelling in the injured area resulting in swapping of ions like Na, K, Cl, Hco3 and citrate between blood and milk thus bringing the pH of udder equal to that of blood i.e., 7.40 or even higher (alkaline). Presence of injury caused by calcium clumps and alkaline pH at this site provides most conducive enviroments for the environmental organisms like Escherchia coli, Staphy, Strepto., etc., The inflammatory reaction attracts body defense cells particularly PML etc., through the leaky tight junctions and the situations becomes explosive depending upon the gravity of the injury. When tri-Sodium citrate is administered orally or I/V the normal environments of udder is restored and the infectious organisms are scavenged off and recovery is achieved.
Regarding estimation of citrate in milk I have read that some firm in Germany has marketed a kit for this purpose or otherwise some laboratry doing this job can be contacted.

with regards Jasmer

Recommend
Shashi Taunk
5 de febrero de 2013

I do agree with the Citrate theory....it could open a new avenue.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.