Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Cow feed profitability with sugar

Increasing cow feed profitability with sugar

Published: August 14, 2012
Summary
While humans are used to diets that contain concentrated sugar, it might be better if sugar was used in animal feed instead. Sugar is a concentrated energy food that is not a vital nutrient for humans; but, few studies have been done to fully determine all of the implications of using sugar in an animal feed diet. The feeding of sugar to livestock is a new concept in animal feed technology (P...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr.P.George Kunju John
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Pietro Celi
The University of Sydney
21 de agosto de 2012
What about health implications? Cows would be exposed to a signifcant increase in rumen acidosis (clinical and subclinical)
Bertrand Larsimont
FEFANA - Feed Additives and Premixtures Association
21 de agosto de 2012

How about chocolate or candy? See following article: Farmer beefs up production with candy

Víctor Gutiérrez
21 de agosto de 2012

I completely agree, in Cartago, Colombia, we have been producing since 1998 supplements based on sugar and its byproducts with successful results in dairy cattle, barley, lift and breeding, as breeding Equine in all its stages and zootechnical objectives.

M.m.yaghobzadeh
21 de agosto de 2012

Thanks for your useful information.

The use of sugar, especially in the 7 day prepartum calving to compensate for the energy in the first days after birth is very good and different research that has been done.

Dr.P.George Kunju John
22 de agosto de 2012

Dear All,
I appreciate the positive comments on my article' Sugar feeding to cows'. To answer my friend from NSW Australia I have to say there is no rumen acidosis if the sugar is compounded in the feed with right technology. Sugar as such is non fermentable sugar therefore it is possible to use'bypass sucrose' technology/ The chocolates and candy could be produced for cows. Please read my article Sugar blocks – a new generation animal lick technology. I would like to get contacts of Mr/ Victor for sharing our experiences.

Jorge Villegas
24 de agosto de 2012

Hello. We have a milk farm in colombia and are starting to feed our cows with fruit residue that we get from a local fruit plant. These fruit residues come from pineapple, banana, strawberry, melon and blackberries amongst others. Does your research on sugar include sugar from fruits? Or does it only apply to sugar syrup? Can we expect similar results using fruit? Thank you.

Dr.P.George Kunju John
25 de agosto de 2012
Dear Mr. Jorge ( George ?) Good question. As you know the fruit juices sugar is fructose whihc needs conesrion to glucoe in the liver of cow for its utiliastion. A proper feed technology could help to increase its utiliastion in dairy cows. If you need more informtation on the technology you may write to me
Jorge Villegas
25 de agosto de 2012
Hello. Thanks a lot for the quick answer. Can you please suggest a diet using fruit residue in a TMR (total mix ration) so we can take our production to 15 liters per cow? Thanks a lot.
Dr Usman
1 de septiembre de 2012

sugar is resultable item in dairy feed for production and health of animal, farmers use to mix sugar in the form of molasses usually, some are using bread and other bakery items i m agree about usage of sugar and have felt its positive results.

Muhammad Asghar Khan
4 de septiembre de 2012

I tend to agree with the authour. A few months back, I met one of my friends in Sargodha area who practically observed and claimed that feeding dairy animals with left over syrup while making Gur increased the milk fat of cows from 3.5 to 5% while increasing the milk yield by at least 10 %.

Dr.P.George Kunju John
4 de septiembre de 2012
Dear All, I am pleased to read the positive response from the readers. But unless we develop a commercial approach to the technology the beneficial effects could not be transformed to the farmers. There are no takers for commercial application. Molasses meal in dry form, jaggary waste to be compunded with feeds etc has great potential in the field. Hope some commercial companies will come forward for the above products . Any one interested in technology transfer and concultation please contact me
Gagan deep sobti
Sobti industries
18 de mayo de 2017
Sir please give us u r mail id
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister