Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Implications of Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows

Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows

Published: January 1, 2002
Summary
Fat contains over two times the amount of energy found in grain. This makes it a very good energy supplement for early lactation cows. The intake of supplemental fat should not exceed 5% of the ration. This corresponds to approximately 0.7 to 0.9 kg fat/day (1.5 - 2 lbs). If this is exceeded, rumen fermentation can be affected and milk fat depression, reduced feed intake and off-f...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
MUNISH SHARMA
Kemin Industries, Inc
10 de agosto de 2009

Article is excellent, but what about the digestibilty of whole sunflower seed in Ruminant and its cost effectiveness. Commercial fat products like Inert fat dont change rumen fermentation and they are very helpfull in maintaing body scores and these are also helpfull to overcome Negative energy balance which could effect the reproductive performance.

Krishan Agarwal
14 de diciembre de 2010

The article about feeding Fat to Dairy Cows is very good. the limit of supplementing fat has been given to as 5[percent] at the same time importance of inert fat has been described but threshold limit has not been prescribed.

Jack Rovics
27 de octubre de 2011

Good article about feeding Fat to Dairy Cows. If you feed vegetable oils, it is best that you increase saturation. also to keep fat uniform and probably better utilized it is desirable to add emulsifiers. The addition of antioxidants such as bha and bht to good quality fat is also important. I recommend the use of edible fats.no amount of processing will make a rancid fat suitable to feed unless it goes through the expensive process of refining and deodorization. Due to off-grade fats being used as biofuel, all fatty materials are becoming very costly and consideration should be given regarding usage and to what degree.

Jack Rovics, PhD

Roberto Tomas Fenzo
IDAL
1 de noviembre de 2011

Good article about feeding Fat to Dairy Cows. considering a 3% of inert fat you can rise to 8% dietary fat. 

Essam Albalaa
1 de noviembre de 2011

i feed the end product of palm oil and would like to ask if thats ok,my cows are all dairy cows and i feed around 1kg per cow twice daily only..can anyone reply please?

Dr Muhammad Ramzan
2 de noviembre de 2011

Very comprehensive article about Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows. Canola is the cheapest sourse but its hard coat. can it be used semi processed but what about cotton seed which is getting popularity.
Regards

Raja Mukherjee
Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
2 de noviembre de 2011
We can also use the latest version that is physically fractionated fat whihc is Rumen Stable rather than Rumen Protected fat. The main advanatges are - 100% Rumen Bypass ,High Palatablity and hihg energy contetn than any other source.We are marketing the same in India
Dr Muhammad Ramzan
2 de noviembre de 2011
Thanks for reply /response. you have not commented on whole cotton seed feeding. Regards
Dr.P.George Kunju John
2 de noviembre de 2011

Feeding dietary fat is often practised. In order to its interference in rumen metabolism the process technologies have been developed. Now while supplementing dietary fat in ration one should confirm its requirement. Is it for offseting the metabolisible energy oor to incorporate in milk fat. It is mostly used as an energy source to meet the ME requirement. It is prudent to note the degradation of fatty acids to acetic by releasing colossal amount of ATP but needs oxaloacetic acid for its removan from the system unless it inuces the formation of acetone bodies. Therefore one should carefully balance the ration while supplementing dietary fat. Another p;oint to be taken care of is fatty liver syndrome Some thoughtd only

Sushil Chandra
2 de noviembre de 2011
In India most of milch buffallos are being fed with veg oil @ 1-1.5 lit per day, which inturn increases the milk fat ,but feeding extra veg oil or fat to dairy cows not known -I don`t have any reference? Regards Dr Chandra
Dr.Tadimeti Hanumanta
2 de noviembre de 2011
An interesting forum for the present market scenario. Dear Dr.Muhammad Ramzan - it is not advisable to feed whole cotton seed to dairy cows. Cottonseed has a number of antinutritional factors, the most important of which is Gossypol. Gossypol is a yellow, toxic substance produced by the seed. Chemically, gossypol is a phenolic compound. The free form of Gossypol is toxic. Though monogastrics are more susceptible to gossypol toxicity in comparison to ruminants, we just cannot negate the toxic affects. To reduce the affect of Gossypol, heat processing or screw press method of Cotton Seed has to be taken up The addition of iron salts to the concentrate mixture will also reduce toxicity. The iron salts bind the free Gossypol.
Roberto Tomas Fenzo
IDAL
2 de noviembre de 2011
we can feed whole cotton seed to ruminants at 2 kg/head/daily without problems with gossipol ( no more than 1 kg if weather temperatures reach over 35ºC )
Dr.Tadimeti Hanumanta
2 de noviembre de 2011
Goof Information Mr. Roberto. But my experoiences in the field are different in free ranging conditions. Especially in the Indian Subcontinent, where atmospheric temperatures above 35 C are common.
Diana Pablos
Diana Pablos
7 de noviembre de 2011
For evaluation of different source of fat you have to take into account more parametres than only the fat contain. Other important parameters are digestibility, fatty acid profile total polyunsaturated (PUFA).... These parameters can limited the amount of some fats. Total PUFA can limite the quantity of some source of fat because can affect the ruminal fermentation and coul affect the total percentage of milk fat, in this case the use of protected or saturated fat is needed to maintain high level of energy without affect the ruminal function. Interesting article about the price of different source of fat but there are other factor when you are feeding fats as important as price. Thanks for the article
Dr. Dasharath Thakor
Dr. Dasharath Thakor
19 de enero de 2012

In Gujarat,India ,dairy cattle are fed whole cotton seed after boiling 1-2 kg , coconut oil immediately after calving to 1 month period and they also feed whole grain also boiled one and veterinarians are attending the cases of ruminal acidosis ( about 40 % ) after 1 month of calving. The dairy co-operatives also create awareness regarding this but still they get the cases. Surprisingly those who don't fed their animals dense feed(Energy rich) during early lactation the animals suffer from ketosis. As the rumen protected fats are costly the farmers cannot afford. So is there any definite solution for this ?

Dr.Dasharath Thakor
Assistant Manager- Dairy Farms,
Vivante Pure Foods Private Limited, Ahmedabad.

Joe Magadi
UFAC
19 de enero de 2012

Here in the UK we have developed over the years a unique process of delivering supplemental fat to the animal. A carefully formulated blend of unsaturated and saturated fats is heated to a specific temperature and applied on to a cereal carrier base and allowed to cure for a few minutes into a dry free flowing product. The technology allows the fat molecules to be absorbed into the matrix of the base material and facilitates slow release in a way that does not upset rumen fermentation. This way, significant quantities of the fats escape microbial lipolysis to be digested and absorbed down stream with more energetic efficiency. There is also a synergistic effect on the energy yield when a mixture of different fats is fed instead of single fat. In addition, this technology allows the melting point of saturated fatty acid such as palmitic acid in the blend to be lowered to a point that a point that facilitates enzymatic attached thus avoiding oil slick that is common with saturated fat supplements.

Read:  What to consider about Commercial Fat Supplements

Shana Salah Ali
19 de enero de 2012

Thanks for this information about Feeding Fat to Dairy Cows.

Dr.P.George Kunju John
19 de enero de 2012
Dear Dr Thkor, I remember the practice fo cooking whole cotton seen Millet grain and rouchage for long time before feeding their dairy buffalos in Gujarat. The above village practice was stopped by setting the feed mill by Amul Dairy. Later, other dairy coops also copied Amul. I had the opportunity to work there for 25 years. In Gulf we feed whole cotton seed along with Corn and protein meals for dairy cows. There is no problem of rumen acidosis noticed. The need is to understand feed technology while compunding the feed to avoid the problems for cows. Dr GK Joh
Dr. Dasharath Thakor
Dr. Dasharath Thakor
19 de enero de 2012

Dear Dr. John SIr, Are you consultant to Gulf dairy farms? Sir you have written that in gulf yoy are feeding whole grain,corn and protein.So can you give the total ration formulation of the same ?

Dr.P.George Kunju John
19 de enero de 2012

Dr Thakor, Yes I give consultancy for farms and feed plants in Gulf too. I can give TMK formulations on consultancy arranments. Please contact me directly on my email 

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister