Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feeds For Dairy Cattle

Forum: Feeding Dairy Cattle with Milk Whey

Published: December 7, 2009
By: Jeff ZImmerman

Hello Colleagues
What do you think about using milk whey to feed cows in production? What are the consequences of its use and abuse? Which is the parameter to be applied?
Thank you!
Greetings from Iowa.-
Jeff Zimmerman

Related topics
Authors:
Jeff ZImmerman
Iowa State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
PHILIP SCHER
PHILIP SCHER
11 de diciembre de 2009

Jeff, 

Good video about dairy cattle. I have fed milk whey in its raw ,not concentrated form,to my dairy herd for many years with great results.
The issues are ensuring that it is always in a lactic acid form and not varying between lactose and lactic acid so the output volumes from the factory need to be managed well.
As my roughage base is only wheat straw I do not have any issues with the expected very liquid manure if a good roughage source does not bind the rumen.
2 potential issues to take care of :flies are a major problem as well as adopting the animals to drinking the whey the first time as they will not just drink it free choice until water is removed and there might be a cow or 2 that even after 10 days stops drinking after first time introduction so they need to be watched
Philip

Olivier Morel
Serval
18 de enero de 2010

Why do you want to feed dairy cattle milk whey in the first place?
Secondly, concerning the issue with the flies, you may want to use milk whey powder and mix it when needed. In this case why not even thinking about using a milk replacer whey based. If fat is too high, you may use a product without any fat which is supposed to be mixed raw milk. We sell this product in France. it has a premix of minerals and vitamins, whey and wheat starch. It has 13[percent] proteins and 0[percent] fat.
In fact you should have a problem with the cows drinking the whey. This is why we complement our product with aromas and sweeteners.
I do not know if this could help as normally this product is made for calves. However, you should have less problem to stock this type of product than liquid whey. Moreover the product is completed in terms of minerals and vitamins.

Hoping this hel and is not too far away from your original question.

Olivier Morel

Syed Hasan Raza
Syed Hasan Raza
19 de enero de 2010
Yes the flies will be definitely problem. It must be mentioned that whether it is whey after making cheese or after removing fat from milk/curd (as it is done in case of IndoPak)? In our university we have run a small experiment by feeding whey after removing fat (first milk was used to make curd and than after churning fat was removed). The whey was fed to calves as partial source of protein and casienated fat, the whey was mixed with wheat flour to improve DM. The results were OK, control and non-control group showed equak growth and whey feeding was economica. The whey feeding has problem of maintaining quality (pH, lactic acid amount etc, and amount solids in it). If farmers could have permanat source with consistant quality of whey than feeding regime can be improved. The feeding of whey to lactating high yileding animals in my view would not be much of importance and economical.
Yusuf Ziya Cakir
12 de febrero de 2010

You can use milk whey in calves and veal calf feeding as a protein source but in lactating cows and mature cattle who has improved rumen it is just waste of time and energy.

Vilmantas Navickas
28 de febrero de 2016
I used to feed to yearlings. Even coat has changed. I was feeding sweet whey.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister