Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mycotoxin-contaminated Feeds

Dealing with Mycotoxin-contaminated Feeds at Feeding Time

Published: August 9, 2012
Summary
Under ideal conditions, livestock should be fed grains and byproducts that are "clean" (i.e., free of fungi and/or mycotoxins). Although feeding clean grains and byproducts is ideal, there are times when clean grains are not available locally and farm finances do not allow for substitution of home-harvested grain with purchased grain. When grains or feeds test positive for mycotoxins, there are s...
Related topics
Authors:
Alvaro Garcia
South Dakota State University
Follow
Robert Thaler
South Dakota State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
María Laura Gonzalez Pereyra
Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto - UNRC
22 de agosto de 2012

Hello, I´d like to have the reference of the article or paper where the FDA states mycotoxin binders are not considered safe. Does this apply for yeast-based binders too, or only for inorganic binders? Could a S. cerevisiae-based binder be considered safe? Since S. cerevisiae is a GRAS (generally regarded as safe) microorganism.
Thanks
Laura

Fernando Tamames
Special Nutrients
20 de noviembre de 2012

Clay-type products are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the FDA when used as anti-caking agents in animal feeds at levels not to exceed 2% (20 kg ) in feed.
The FDA has until now has NOT APPROVED ANY product as mycotoxin binder because:
a) Carcinogenic ingredients (mycotoxins) are not supposed to be in feed therefore there should not be the need to approve a feed additive (mycotoxin binder) that will control this carcinogens in feed.
b) "The concern of the FDA is that binding may not be uniform across different products"
FDA knows that there are not two clays alike.
Clays can not be approved in generalites such as calcium bentonite, sodium bentonite, HSCAS, etc. but they will have to be approved source by source (mine by mine) wich the FDA it is not willing to do up to now.
A product with a specific BRAND name if during the years has change mine IT IS NOT THE SAME CLAY.
ALL the scientific information has to be done again.
This not only to applies to clay based products but to ALL mycotoxin binders because as far as we know ALL commercially available products contain some % of clay.
The state of TEXAS in February 11, 2010 understandding that there is the problem and they have face it because these carcinogens (myctoxoins) are in feed pass a legislation for the approval of mycotoxin binders for the adsorption of Aflatoxin.
Until now as far as we know ONLY clays (speceficaly smectite type) have been approved .
In Brasil the goverment is legislating mycotoxin binders scientifically.
LAMIC under profesor Mallmann it is one of the key institutes to approve mycotoxin binders PER SPEICES PER MYCOTOXIN.
In the case of aflaltoxin M1 in Dairy untill now ( the same as Texas) ONLY clays have been approved by LAMIC.
The FASTEST way to see if a product it is working IN VIVO as an aflaltoxin B1 binder is in Dairy:
AN AFLATOXIN BINDER MUST REDUCE AFLATOXIN M1 IIN MILK IN 24 TO 48 HOURS BECAUSE THE TRANSFORMATION OF AFLATOXIN B1 INTO M1 OCCURES IN 12 HOURS.
The ONLY product approved in Texas and Brazil for the control of Aflatoxin M1 in milk is:
MYCOAD (Toxfree Standard / Cobind) .

Regards
Fernando Tamames

MUHAMMAD NASIR AHMED
AB Mauri
31 de agosto de 2018
interesting information toxin binder
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister