Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

dairy cow colostrum

Colostrum for the Dairy Calf

Published: August 23, 2012
Summary
The success of colostrum feeding to calves is built on four critical components: Timing - How quickly the calf receives colostrum after birth. Quantity - How much colostrum the calf receives. Quality - The concentration of immunoglobulins in the colostrum. Cleanliness - The levels of pathogens in the colostrum.  Introduction The most important factor in dairy calf health and sur...
Related topics
Authors:
Brian Lang
OMAFRA
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Munene Nderi
18 de octubre de 2012

Hi Brian if this is true, ''Similarly, results from a recent U.S. study reported bacterial results from the colostrum on 12 dairy farms. In that study, the average total plate count was 16.1 million CFU/mL, and the total coliform count was 2.7 million CFU/mL, indicating that dairy farmers should pay more attention to colostrum cleanliness''. What do you think the situation is in the developing world?

Dr.Munene Nderi
Chuka University College
Chuka-Kenya.

Zhangxian
28 de enero de 2013

Interesting article about Colostrum for the Dairy Calf. Just as I know, in Shanghai, most farms seldom care about colostrum cleanliness. In fact, we buy a lot equipment to feed calves, however the workers know little about how to use it efficacious, even many never use them. Why this happened? I thought, maybe because the design of cowhouse, or some of the equipments was not very fuctional.

Del Davis
Ralco Nutrition
28 de enero de 2013

Mr. Nderi, I represent an American firm that has an interest in colostrum based products for both bovine and porcine neonates. It appears to us that colostrum has some benefits beyond passive immunity for the new born. Certain proteins seem to enhance appetite and encourage the young to seek nourishment. Other proteins may even have some analgesic attributes that just make the new born critter feel better and may help to attenuate body temperature since new the born may have difficulty with temperature regulation until a bit more maturity occurs. Conventional thinking suggest that colostrum should be administered very soon after birth, perhaps up to 24 hours at which time gut closure is occurring at a very rapid rate. This limits the time for absorption of immunoglobulins which are very important to establishing passive immunity. There are some indications in our applications that there are colostrum benefits that occur inside the lumen of the small intestine even after gut closure is complete. We suspend the colostrum products in a plant essential oils that aid in sanitation gaps and reduce pathogenic activity in the gut. DEL DAVIS, Ph.D. Ralco Nutrition, Inc. Marshall, MN. Skype: deli.davis

Viswanatha Reddy
30 de enero de 2013

Dear,

Good article of Colostrum for the Dairy Calf. I had an oppurtunity to see a Doctoral thesis for which British Milk Marketing Board funded. He had selected newborn male calves for this study and had selected the stomoch and deodenum and jejunum of the intestine. From that study of a new born bovine calf has large numbers of MACROPORES and MICROPORES are present at birth. Few calves were slaughtered immediately after birth and few others were slaughtered at different intervals without feeding colostrum as controls. With each control group the experimental group were fed colostrum at different intervals after birth. 

He noticed the number of MACROPORES and MICROPORES reduces by each second whether colostrum fed or not. But after feeding colostrum the reduction in the number of MACROPORES and MICROPORES is much faster that of non fed calves at same interval after birth. The electron microscopic photographs has clearly indicated macromolecules [Growth hormone is a macro molecule] enetreing through the MACROPORES.

It is well known the udder which is large at dry off becomes small in few days and again grows prior to calving due to multiplication of the secretary cells of the udder under the influence of growth hormone then estrogens and progesterone Udder development can start even one month prior to calving in high yeilders and it can be as short as 7 days in poor producers.

The composition of colostrum has clearly shown to have 14 micrograms of Growth hormone per liter of colostrum [Intas Polivet Vol10 issue II Page 144 ] gives the other componets of colostrum. Several factors are their whose exact role I am not aware.

Practically at the Buffalo Research Project at Dharwad by feeding colostrum within 15 minutes after birth of a calf between 500 ml to 1500ml has preponed the maturity age by 6 to 8 months when compared to earlier years where the colostrum was fed after 20 to 30 minutes after the birth of a calf. Similar reports were made from the Buffalo Research Station, ANAND with SURTHI buffaloes by Dr Janakiraman, then Director of that research station.

V N Viswanatha Reddy,
Former Professor, Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics,
Veterinary College,
Bangalore 560 024

Lynette CHEW
InQpharm Group
27 de marzo de 2013
Dear sir, is it possible to have the thesis? Is it available yet in the public domain? Thank you. -Lynette-
Viswanatha Reddy
27 de marzo de 2013
Dear Sir, I had read that thesis about 22 years back from Dr Shivakumar, Managing Director for one of the Milk Unions in Karnataka State He has retired now and on enquiry he said he had given the book to some body and he could not remember to whom he has given Now the book is lost I have written a book in local language in Kannada and the Karnataka Milk federation issues a monthly Magazine of 8 pages and releases 25,000 copies to variuos milk producers co-op societies In these two the details of colostrum feeding and calf feeding are given so many farmers have adopted this Give me your E-mail ID as one of my student is a staff member in Liverpool University, in UK and he may be in a position to collect the E-mail ID of British Milk Marketing Board who funded for this reasearch with them you can correspond and get the reply My E-mail ID is "VISWANATHA REDDY" , yours sincerely VISWANATHA REDDY V N
Lynette CHEW
InQpharm Group
27 de marzo de 2013
Dear Sir, I'm sorry but how do I get in touch with you? I do not have your full email address. You can reach me: lynetteATinqpharm.com. Thanks for your offer to help. Really appreciate it.
Hla Thein
2 de abril de 2013
Colostrum feeding is a must-to-do procedure in calf rearing .
Dr. Inam Ullah Khan
9 de abril de 2013

sir V.Reddy please also provide me the copy of this thesis
Regards,

Viswanatha Reddy
11 de junio de 2013
My E-mail ID is vnvreddy2004@gmail.com As soon as I get any information about availability of PhD thesis I will inform you all
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister