Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feeding Dairy Cows

Guidelines for Feeding Dairy Cows

Published: January 1, 1900
Summary
Introduction Milk yield of a dairy cow depends on four main factors: (a) genetic ability; (b) feeding program; (c) herd management; and (d) health. As cows continue to improve genetically, we must also improve nutrition and management to allow the cow to produce to her inherited potential. A good dairy feeding program must consider the quantity fed, the suitability of the feed and how and whe...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hilmar Gerhardt
DSM-Firmenich
11 de febrero de 2010

Really nice overview in feeding dairy cows. Especially in the planning of feed intake related to the NDF content in fourage. NDF is a hot sword in feed quality

Krishan Agarwal
2 de diciembre de 2010

A nice overview of feeding dairy cows. the importance of grains in feeding is duly given at various stages of lactation.your article will be very helpful to those who are engaged in dairyfarm business as well as feed manufacturers in providing quality feeds.thank you for enriching our knowledge.

Ali sufiyan
27 de noviembre de 2018
Hello, I want make a dairy farm of holstein american cows please tell what is the feed of cow for get 80 litre milk and how many land required for 100 holstein cows dairy farm
Emrah Özen
7 de abril de 2011
Hello again. How can I see "Figure 1. Protein and Grain Addition to Close-up and Early Lactation Cows" ?
Dr.S. Mathan Kumar
22 de noviembre de 2011

Dear All,

Great informative article regarding feeding dairy cows, the author has taken efforts to even convey the nuances of dairy herd feeding in a simplified way. 

I would like to add my comment as TMR at larger herds can not only be restricted two different milking cow ration rather it might even split up to three or four different rations depends on the number of cows at different stages of lactation.
Temperature and Humidity combinedly called as THI as an index and this shall be a great determinant in terms of adjusting the feeding interms of no of meals, timing, and addition of sugar beet pulp etc.,

Thanks,

Dr Mathan Kumar

Dr Muhammad Ramzan
7 de diciembre de 2011
excellent feeding regimne with balanced diet program of different ingredients for maximum production level while maintaining general health as well as reproductive health, if followed strictly,really will produce good results. Best wishes for the author.
Dr.harish Bhongade
10 de junio de 2013
Very simplifed system for feeding of dairy cows , this will help for better understand dairy professionals feeding planning
kudzaishe kahombe
20 de noviembre de 2014

Thanks for the article. Could you help me telling me what I should do to improve milk production in dairy animals? These animals are being fed with home made feeds and its breed specific.

md rashidul islam
24 de marzo de 2015
we want to know you about high yielding milking cow feeding management and feeding requirement per cow per day. such as body weight 450 kg , milk production per day 30 kg and milk production 20 kg . pls sending requirment of cow grain feed, roughage and ca.phosphorus and vitamins.
Joseph Mburu
5 de junio de 2015
Thanks for the article it was so helpful to me.
Elsayed Mickdam
25 de julio de 2016
Great article, thank you
Fredrick Karanja Mirara
5 de septiembre de 2016
The article is very informative. But I would like to know: How many times should a dairy cow be fed? Should it be fed in the morning or throughout the day. Today I met a farmer who feeds once in the morning. I feed twice in the early morning around 7.00am and late in the evening from 6.00pm. Kindly explain the disadvantages of these practices and your recommendation.
mohamadali emami mibody
18 de enero de 2017
it was the best guideline for dairyman in my country.
hossain ali
14 de diciembre de 2017

Nice article. It seems to be very useful to me.

Ali sufiyan
27 de noviembre de 2018
Hello, I want make a dairy farm of holstein american cows please tell what is the feed of cow for get 80 litre milk and how many land required for 100 holstein cows dairy farm
prem prakash bhadola
6 de diciembre de 2018

Valuable information to run a healthy and productive dairy farm or for dairy farming.
Thanks.

Gopesh
23 de marzo de 2021
yes i would like to ask some valuable questoin
Elvis simatei
13 de mayo de 2021
Thanks a lot for the article, how do you manage to fed a dairy cow producing 20 litres of milk per day to increase the production. I am a student
charles Ngetich
27 de julio de 2021
Wealth of dairy feeding information. God Bless You.
Bilal Ahmd Bhat
31 de agosto de 2021
if i have a cow providing 12 kg milk, how kg of choker/rice raw material/feed and oil ssd required
Mourice mulili
18 de octubre de 2021
The article is very informative. But I would like to know: How many times should a dairy cow be fed? Should it be fed in the morning or throughout the day. Today I met a farmer who feeds once in the morning. I feed twice in the early morning around 7.00am and late in the evening from 6.00pm. Kindly explain the disadvantages of these practices and your recommendation.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister