Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Flamenbaum: "Only a very small amount of countries manage to cool cows off"

Published: February 16, 2017
Summary
  Q: What are the main consequences of heat stress? A: Regarding milk production, there are different factors, not just volume, but also fat content and protein in the milk and quality of the milk; that means, the somatic cell count that increases when the cow is in that condition of stress.   It also affects fertility, and the effect is an increase of the days open above what is...
Related topics
Authors:
Israel Flamenbaum
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
20 de febrero de 2017
answers to the questions are convincing and logical
Fredrick Karanja Mirara
21 de febrero de 2017
It is interesting about the cooling system. I have been thinking it is natural especially in cold places. One does not require extra effort to cool the cows. Perhaps we need to be very clear what are the causes of this heat stress? Is it poor feeding or overfeeding? Otherwise it is a very big challenge for dairy farmers.
Israel Flamenbaum
21 de febrero de 2017
Heat stress are climate conditions where cows are not able to dissipate the heat they generate in their metabolism. Under these conditions cows will drop feed consumption and performance , including milk production and fertility. If you don't have this in your farm then you are lucky !
Clement Doyer
22 de febrero de 2017

What do you think of my idea: Installing timer-electric valves and spraying 10 minutes every hour a fine mist from above the cows as they lay down on sand?

Israel Flamenbaum
22 de febrero de 2017

Dear Clement,

Your proposal is limited to dry climates and close buildings. Unfortunately, most of the dairy farms in warm climates are located in humid areas and use open shelters, so, only direct cooling the cows by wetting and forced ventilation will be a good solution.

Clement Doyer
23 de febrero de 2017
Oh, I see! My small herd is in Northern Thailand, in the mountains. The weather is cooler than on the plain, but April and may can be hot (40-44oC). The walls are open, cement floors, that we clean with running water in a hose twice a day, a shower in passing to the cows. Would a mist and a fan help? 10 minutes per hour? Or would you recommend a shower like sprinkler? We have plenty of clean drinkable water coming from 2 deep wells.
Israel Flamenbaum
23 de febrero de 2017

Clement,

In Thailand condition I do recommend the direct cooling which combines wetting and forced ventilation.
Anyhow, there is need to know specific farm conditions to give the exact recommendation about the time of cooling needed.

Tamas Csaki Dvm
2 de marzo de 2017

Dear Mr. Flamenbaum,

You got around one of the questions of the reporter. The question was: You have researched Summer to Winter ratio. What would be a good ratio?
I am working in Hungary and in the surrounding countries. Mostly, there is a big difference in winter and summer temperature, mainly in the last years, thanks to the changes in the climate conditions. As far as I understood, the question was directed towards to the structure of the TMR. Digestability, fermentability, fat and fiber ratio, components preventing heat production in the rumen during rumination etc. Have you have any new information or suggestions out of your experimental work, to use more heat-stress-preventing components in the TMR during the hot period of the year?

Tamas, Csaki DVM.
Hungary

Israel Flamenbaum
3 de marzo de 2017

Dear Tamas,

feeding manipulation in summer diets, mainly reducing fiber, adding fats and increase energy and protein concentration have limited potential to improve cows performance in heat stress conditions. the most can be reached by intensive cooling the cows in this period.

Rajeshwaran
5 de marzo de 2017
This subject is very breed specific. Specifically, the Indian breed of cows and buffaloes may have a very different temperature humidity comfort zone for optimal production.
Cedden
Ankara University
16 de marzo de 2017
Dear Mr. Flamenbaum, Thank you very much for your informative article. Decreased milk yield performance is more striking in Western Europe derived cattle breeds. It is worth to study closer the experience with Zebu or Shaival derived breeds in some countries located in tropical and sub-tropical zones such as Brazil and India. Besides, disease and parasite resistance become important in hot periods. The question is that to insist with high producing breeds or to confine our selves with those producing reasonable milk yield.
Israel Flamenbaum
16 de marzo de 2017
Dear Mr. Cedden, I totally agree with you when it comes to tropical conditions with restricted possibilities to control deseases. My article is refered more to intensified farms with Europeran breeds located in warm regions, as for example my country Israel and your country Turkey are.
Teshome Gedefa
16 de marzo de 2017

Yes, it is very important to deal with such kind of issues, because most of the farmers do not know how the type of feed influence the composition of the milk and impose heat load to the animal.

Jagdish Singh Sandhu
5 de abril de 2017
Yes , Indian breeds which produce little milk ,never feel much heat stress.But HF cows produce greater milk in India and also feel a lot of heat stress.Your method is 100% right and practical.I am managing our dairy herd of 90 Holstein cows very well in peak summers in India. For practical applications of your system,a free PDF file of research by Elanco is very helpful. But nowadays in India, a special class of non- practical politicians and so called dairy professionals forcing our poor dairy farmers to leave the Holstein and feed the 3000-4000 kg per lactation milk producing Indian breeds.And that's also on small land holdings of 5-6 acre per farmer.Flamenbaum you and your prescribed cooling method is God sent for us.May God bless you.
Israel Flamenbaum
12 de abril de 2017

Thank you Mr. Jagdish for your blessings

Yes, it is possible to mitigate heat stress effectively in all climate conditions. Some other limitations are needed to be treated (not related to heat stress), such as veterinary issues, in order to reach HF potential in such climates. Wish you success with your HF cows in India.

Pascal SOREL
Bioret Agri
12 de febrero de 2021
Dear Israel, As soon as you come in France (maybe someday we will travel again...) let me bring you visiting some of our installation and you will talk with the owners. You will also have a look at their results on the computer and in the barn, you will be able to see how the cows feel good.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister