Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feed Additives for Dairy Cattle

Published: September 2, 2016
Summary
Introduction Feeding high-producing cows continues to challenge dairy farmers and nutritionists. Also, dairy profit margins vary as milk prices and  feed costs  shift yearly. Feed costs represent the largest input cost to produce milk (estimated to be 35 to 50 percent). Feed additives are a group of feed ingredients that can cause a desired animal response in a non-nutrient role, suc...
Related topics
Authors:
Michael Hutjens
University of Illinois
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Olurotimi Ayobami Olafadehan
7 de septiembre de 2016
This is an interesting article on feed additives.
waqas ahmad
3 de mayo de 2020

A wonderful article for me. I always listen to you at Hoards Dairy man Webinar. Sir, in this article you mention rumen protected Niacin Dose 2-3 gram but RP niacin companies recommending 10-20 gram.

Michael Hutjens
University of Illinois
3 de mayo de 2020

waqas ahmad My listed level of rumen protected niacin is based on a California field study evaluating 3 grams vs.7 grams which resulting in lower dry matter intake. One guideline is 1 gram of rumen protected niacin is similar to 7 grams of unprotected niacin. Hope this helps! Mike

Shahzaib Shakeel
14 de mayo de 2020

Sir, can you please share the concentration/percentage of niacin in protected niacin product with which you had carried out the trial? This would help us determine the dose of the products available with us when compared to simple niacin.

Regards.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister