Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Feather Meal

Feather Meal: Its Nutritional Value And Use In Dairy And Beef Rations

Published: January 1, 2002
Summary
The following article is a special collaboration from AFMA (Animal Feed Manufacturers Association) www.afma.co.za We thank their kind support. Feathers – The Raw Material The American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) defines Hydrolysed Poultry Feathers as the product resulting from the treatment under pressure of clean, undecomposed feathers from slaughtered poultry, free of addit...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Leon
20 de agosto de 2013

As many researches show, 3-5% feather meal can be used in many poultry diet.

shahbaz
5 de agosto de 2015

We are not the regular user of feather meal in ruminants feed specifically in beaf but few days before may be due to mixing of feather meal it is incorporated in regular feed and there is mortality of two calves happen and after postmartum there is a feather meal in rumen and farm manager supposed it had happened due to F.M inclusion. plz suggest me wheather it is possible?

Janvier HABIMANA
30 de septiembre de 2015

I am new on this group, so I am interested in producing feeds. How can I get feed formulation based on nutrient requirement of domestic animals?

Korede Elijah
20 de noviembre de 2017
Janvier HABIMANA @ what kind of feed did you want to start producing and what is targeted nutrient requirements. Pls specify
Adeoluwa Adetunji
17 de octubre de 2016

I have a question in relation to determination of feather meal protein digestibility.
For me to express protein digestibility on dry matter basis, I'm looking at using the dry sample that I dried for moisture determination of the feather meal for the pepsin digestibility.
My question is this, will drying at 50 degree celcius for 24 hr have any negative effect on the digestibility of the feather meal protein or not?
Thank you.

Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
19 de octubre de 2016
Technically there should not be any negative effect unless proved otherwise
Okhiomah Abu
26 de octubre de 2016
I think you need to give a full picture of your digestibility trial. Is this an in vivo or in vitro study? Are you handling the feather alone or with other ingredient? Whatever the situation I am of the opinion that the sample used for dry matter basis may be your sure bet. Although it is true that pepsin is a protein and could be denatured at 50 degree Celsius.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister