Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Efficient milk production under heat stress condition

Published: September 19, 2016
Summary
Heat stress is now considered to be the cause of the largest economical loss to the world’s dairy sector. The reasons for this are global warming, the increase in milk output per cow and the “immigration” of dairy sectors from temperate to tropical and sub-tropical regions, where the demand for milk in most cases is increasing.   Heat stress negatively affects the glo...
Related topics
Authors:
Israel Flamenbaum
Recommend
Comment
Sharma Madan Lal
20 de septiembre de 2016

We must understand how heat stress is impacting the productivity and reproductivity. It is observed that cow's feed intake goes low yet water intake remains stable or increased slightly. But nutritive requirements for maintenance and production remains the same. Under the circumstances, I would recommend as follows: 
1. Condense the energy and proteins in feed as quantity of intake goes down. If intake is 20% down, then increase energy and protein source by 20%.
2. To maintain ionic balance in body, electrolites should be added in water.
3. To avoid losses due to humidity- increase cross ventilation by fans and reduce the density of animals in a shed.
4. Timing of feeding should be during cool hours.
5. Plenty of availability of water throughout the day to avoid uroconcentration.

These measures will reduce the impact of heat stress though not eliminating it totally.
Dr. ML Sharma

Recommend
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
21 de septiembre de 2016
This is beautiful article written by a person who seems to be well conversant with ground realities. The article provides a broad guide line for farmers in living in different ecological zones who can modify these experiences as per their own condition. The Indicators of profitability per cow will remain same every where ie higher milk productivity/cow better health and effecient calving interval. The writer deserves admiration for posting these informations in the best interest of farmers community irrespective of their location but having issue of Heat Stress
Recommend
Gagan deep sobti
Sobti industries
24 de septiembre de 2016
In India hot weather is a great challenge with these types articles help's a lot to understand d hot weather challenge.
Recommend
Dr Mukesh Sharma
Indian Broilor Group
29 de septiembre de 2016
Heat Stress is more visible in Pure bred or HF cross brd bread cows in tropical area, the main problem in during hot and humid time, (June to Sep in India), this can be minimised by 1. high concentrated diet (high energy and protein in less dry matter 2. Most important is feeding mineral and buffer during these days 3. feeding salt as free choice, 4. increase cross ventilation by using high speed fans where air flow in minimum to 3.8 m/s
Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
29 de septiembre de 2016

I think that Dr. Mukesh Sharma is missing the point from the principal message of my article
Cows can be cooled easily, in a cheap manner and all kind of climate and management to reduce great part of the negative impact of hear stress on the cows. I think that this issue must be the basic one to be discussed. Obvious, if you don't or can't cool the cows, then you must manipulate feeding and maybe genetics, but this is always more expensive and less effective than just cooling the cows, also in very extensive and small dairy farms in countries like India and Pakistan.

Recommend
Tridjoko Wisnu Murti
30 de septiembre de 2016
I agree with Dr Flamenbaum that it should be found the cheap manner to reduce as possible as environment temperature and relative humidity. For env temperature it may be easier than humidity.. by applying cooling or fan system, but for reducing high humidity like in humid tropical countries as Indonesia, I don't know how to do that. Would anybody have any idea?
Recommend
Sharma Madan Lal
30 de septiembre de 2016
Maintain drinking water at 20 degree Celsius. Animal water intake will go up. Provide extra energy, protein and minerals. Keep an watch on iodine as it being essential for adequate functioning of Hypothalamus which controls the thermo-regulatory system.
Recommend
Sourabh Jain
Rishabh Dairy Farm
1 de octubre de 2016

Please suggest the cheap ways to keep cows cool. I had also read that the addition of temperature in faranheit plus humidity should be less than 100. So how can we maintain it during warm as well as humid months?.

Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
1 de octubre de 2016

To the question of the friend from Indonesia:

The combination of wetting with forced ventilation works the same goodin dry as in warm and humid climates. I have farmes usin this system in South China, Vietnam, El Salvador and other tropical regions of the worls with very good results in overcoming heat stress negative impact on pure Holstein cows.

Recommend
aziz ghotb
1 de octubre de 2016
This was an excellent article, and I learn a lot from it. I totally agree with Dr. Flamenbaum. The most important action for cows confronting heat stress is to immediately cool them, which is the most cheapest and effective way to contrast with heat stress. Taking about nutrition, high energy rations, using high dense of vitamin & mineral supplements and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, must be our second or even third priorities. Frankly we must believe a cow struggling with heat stress doesn't eat, or even she hesitates from feed mangers. So first of all we must cool him down, in a proper way.
Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
1 de octubre de 2016

Thanks Aziz for the warm words.
To all members, you can see in another article of mine published in Engromix (Summer to Winter ratio Index) that there are dairy farms in Israel who reach same milk production per cow in summer as in winter (above 40 kg/cow/day) without any manipulation in feeding, just intensive cooling!!!
These farms also double summer conception rate, as compared with non cooling farms.

Recommend
gourav
1 de octubre de 2016

Respective please explain me how to change the dry ration of cow from summer to winter? When ever I came to know cow increasing on particular feed. When winter start cow start down their milk . Please explain about feed.

Recommend
Gagan deep sobti
Sobti industries
2 de octubre de 2016
Sir when we add high energy diet with add chromium in cow diet it cures and relief's from heat stress.
Recommend
Somnath H Mane
2 de octubre de 2016
Is bypass fat reduce heat stress?
Recommend
gourav
3 de octubre de 2016

Presently in northen hemisphere winter is going intense explain me feed used for cow to increase milk and combact with chilling climate. I am no veterinary prefessional but medical prefessional.

Recommend
gourav
3 de octubre de 2016
respective Gagan Sobti, i have never heared about chromium and never given to my cow .culd you explain me please about uses direction and benefits of it .
Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
3 de octubre de 2016
Fat (by pass usually) can be a good mean to supply the cow with more energy when suffering from heat stress. If cow is properly cooled, then the amount of fat in the diet can be reduced significantly, to the level provided in cooler days
Recommend
gourav
3 de octubre de 2016

I have a few questions:
Example of fat supplements
What should be the normal temperature of room in summer in summer?
What should be normal temperature in winter?

Recommend
Sourabh Jain
Rishabh Dairy Farm
3 de octubre de 2016

Addition of normal temperature in farenheit value in the dairy alongwith humidity should be less than 100 for better cattle health.

Recommend
Rajesh Singh Pundir
3 de octubre de 2016
Dr. Flamenbaum, Sir, I am convinced with your article on Efficient Milk Production Under Heat Stress Condition. Please give some tips for efficient milk production in extreme cold weather. In Norther part of India, generally Veterinarians suggests dairy farmer to cover the cows body to save them from cold wave in night. Does really cold wave affects HF cross bread cows.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.