Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Cost-Effective Reproductive Programs for Lactating Dairy Cows: Economic Comparison of all Estrus Detection, all Timed-AI, or a Combination of Both

Published: May 19, 2014
Summary
INTRODUCTION The three largest expenses of the dairy business are: 1) feeding lactating dairy cows, 2) raising replacement heifers, and 3) labor. Reproductive performance of lactating dairy cows directly influences the annual frequency of calving (which affects the number of replacement heifers available) and milk yield (due to extended low productivity lactation and dry period). Many factor...
Related topics
Authors:
Gustavo M. Schuenemann
Ohio State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Julie Hoag
31 de agosto de 2016
Dr. Scheunemann - if i would like to use this article as a reference for a training course, how would i write the reference citation?
Gustavo M. Schuenemann
Ohio State University
1 de septiembre de 2016
Julie - you could reference the article as: 1) Schuenemann, G.M., and K.N., Galvão. 2014. Cost-Effective Reproductive Programs for Lactating Dairy Cows: Economic Comparison of all Estrus Detection, all Timed-AI, or a Combination of Both. Dairy Cattle, Engormix, May 19, 2014.
Ray Nebel
Select Sires Inc.
1 de septiembre de 2016
We have seen a combination of Timed-A.I. and activity monitoring to yield the highest 21-day pregnancy rate. Usually a Double Ovsynch with insemination in the mid to 70 DIM followed by monitoring to detect a high percentage of returns. The real question is cost effectiveness.
Julie Hoag
1 de septiembre de 2016
Thanks! And i agree - i'd love to see a cost analysis of the efficacy data calculated above. Of course, the drawback to both would be that they are models only - and not a real world comparison, however i think your assumptions bases are strong. Cheers!
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister