Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Major Non Infectious Diseases in Catfishes and their preventive measures

Published: November 23, 2015
Summary
Aquaculture accompanies several disease problems caused by different microbial pathogens which are common evident in general culture practice. High stocking densities, over feeding and other organic loads stimulate the proliferation of pathogenic microorganisms. Bacteria, virus, fungus and protozoan parasites are the important microorganisms to cause diseases in fish culture. Disease outbreaks co...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Prakash Chandra Behera
International Health Care Limited
Recommend
Comment
Stanstat Glory
15 de mayo de 2017
I am very well satisfied with your explanation and recommendations sir, I do hope if I apply it to my farm, I will be on a safer side
Recommend
Paul Roberts
26 de junio de 2017
Many years ago we put Channel Catfish into a clear water earthen trout raceway. As the temperature was near the lower end of the growth temperature range we tried feeding them. They ate, but eventually had "sunburn" like patches on the dorsal area. Remembering that similar conditions occurred in trout were caused by BIOTIN deficiency. The next batch of feed was ordered with a double amount of the vitamin pack (they did not stock Biotin separately). This cured the problem with in a few weeks.
Recommend
Gregory Bastiansz
Aquatech International
26 de mayo de 2018

I lost more than half of my pangassius due to brown blood disease. Saved the rest by doing a quick water change and adding salt (sodium chloride). The catfish would gasp for air and were desperately crowding themselves at the water inlet section. Took about 25 minutes to do a complete water exchange.

Recommend
NAWAZ pasha
20 de agosto de 2018

My catfish is dying lot of sir coz of yellow disease and red spot. Plz can you help me? What type of medicine can I use for my fishes?

Recommend
Manjur Hasan Chisti
1 de octubre de 2020

Informative writing. Thanks.

I have recently started a bioflock project with 8 tank 20000 litres each. I put cat fish(magur) but not successful. First started tail and fin rotten. Treated with KBC; Renomicine and water change(flock lost). Then started swelling stomach. Again treated with water change and Renomicine and Turmeric juice socked by feed. Then Fungul problem treated with Tricodarma Veridi. I have noticed today a new problem no ulcers and rapture but some fish are floating reddish fin and chest with little hole. All the time DO above 5; TAN; NH3, PH fully controlled

I am horrified and hopeless. Can anyone have any idea or suggestions that can help me?

Recommend
Goodnews Okoro
30 de noviembre de 2021

Manjur Hasan Chisti
Sir, does it mean that the tumeric cured the disease?

Recommend
Goodnews Okoro
30 de noviembre de 2021
You guys did a great work over there, I also think that after the application of the salt in the pond for about 30 to 45 minutes, that flow through system should be applied and stop them from feed for about 2days and then give the gradually for quick recovery
Recommend
Omotolani Oderinde
4 de julio de 2022
Sir,I would firstly want to appreciate your explanation. The current u am facing on my farm is the lost of my fries at day 7 for hatching and it has occur from 3 different batches now... I would like to likely causes . Thanks
Recommend
Godday favor
26 de noviembre de 2022
Thanks for the training actually my fishes are dieing of this disease but I learned something new today
Recommend
Obiri -boahene
12 de febrero de 2023
Shd pipe borne water be left under sunlight before usage on catfish of 40 days
Recommend
Hadiza Abdulkadir
19 de marzo de 2023
Please what is the treatment for fin rot and ulcers for catfish. I have been doing tetracycline, vitamin c and salt
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.