Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Black Soldier Fly Prepupae for Aquaculture Diets

Mass Production of Black Soldier Fly Prepupae for Aquaculture Diets

Published: January 26, 2012
Summary
After decades of work in Tifton, Georgia, University of Georgia researchers think soldier flies will be a viable alternative to fish meal in aquaculture diets. Early work with the black soldier fly ( Hermetia illucens ) used manure as the growth media, but recent efforts show that food byproducts can be a better soldier fly diet. Catfish grow well on soldier flies and other fish, including tilapi...
Related topics
Authors:
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Ernest Simeoni
17 de julio de 2015
does light play a major roll in hatching of pupae and mating and what should the light intensity be
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
17 de julio de 2015
My opinion is that optimum artificial lighting is still in the research stage. However, patents have been awarded regarding artificial lighting for BSF mating (50 watt halogen added to previously discovered 500 watt quartz-iodine lamp) and a 2010 research article indicated good success with an artificial light combination with spectra similar to sunlight. That article suggest light with wavelengths between 450 and 700 nm for mating success. A 500 watt quartz-iodine lamp was used. Some block light from pupae during that stage. Others have some light on the pupae pans, but media would block most light from the pupae. Egg laying is sometimes in covered containers and sometimes in open containers exposed to sunlight. Egg laying (number of clutches) may be higher in natural sunlight than under artificial lighting systems used by most BSF culturists.
Oscar Arroyave Sierra
Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA)
6 de agosto de 2015
regards Dr Gary my question is this: I managed to get eggs Black Soldier Fly, right now introduced these eggs in an incubator, 29 degrees and 65% relative humidity, a substrate that is fermented pig manure. Is the right thing to have done ?, which should be the ideal substrate to achieve ?, hatching eggs to hatch posture how long ?. Appreciating your attention
Byron Wooten
14 de agosto de 2015
My production of BSF is very good, currently harvesting about a pound per day. I began feeding mature (black) prepupae to my six month old catfish about two weeks ago. However, the fish do not seem to particularly like the BSF larva. They will skip a day eating before they consume the larva. I've never had catfish be picky eaters before. I have tried both fresh larva and dehydrated. I am giving them to the fish whole. Any ideas?
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
14 de agosto de 2015
The larvae should be about 25 but not more than 30% of the catfish diet for best results. Also, what substrate are you using? Perhaps there is a carryover of flavors from the substrate. Remember that BSF are about 30% fat, too much to feed to catfish as sole source of food. Also, chitin in the skin is not a digestible component.
Ernest Simeoni
15 de agosto de 2015
I have larvae that has been in the substrate for about 3 months and have not hatched and i cannot understand why, is it light or is it caused by low humidity
Oscar Arroyave Sierra
1 de septiembre de 2015
I managed the stepped production soldier fly larvae, after working some time with this insect, and know every day I learn more about it, in a wonderful insect. I can industrially produce this larva to the production of protein meal.
Afam Anene
3 de septiembre de 2015
Dear Gary, how do I obtain a pure breed of BFL. I live in Nigeria. Afam
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
4 de septiembre de 2015
I believe the best way is to attract the flies in your own country, then start a breeding colony. Begin by locating an area where the forest is near a food source (animal production facility, composting operation, or waste food disposal area). Place a container (bucket or barrel) that contains a food supply and egg laying area at the edge of the forest and watch for bsf visits. If the flies are in that area, they will visit within a day or two. When eggs are observed in the crevices of the collection material, remove to a separate container for hatching over substrate. See African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 7 (8), pp. 1192-1198, 17 April, 2008 In this way, endemic flies will be obtained rather than importing strains from elsewhere.
detilleux
University of Liège
12 de noviembre de 2015
Hello Does anyone know whether BSF can be raised in Niger ? Is the weather adequate or too dry ?
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
12 de noviembre de 2015
The substrate moisture content must be around 60% or higher. That may prove difficult to maintain in a dry environment. Heat is a problem for larval and pupal development and 40 degrees C (105 degrees F) is the maximum in our experience.
Afam Anene
21 de noviembre de 2015
Gary, Can we work towards an international conference on larval production.
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
11 de diciembre de 2015
An International conference on black soldier fly would be interesting for several reasons. However, there was recently and international conference on insect protein from all sources. That meeting showed that black soldier fly culture was not the only choice for alternative protein to commodity sources. Currently certain groups are forming in Europe, Asia, and the US, at least which seem to have commercialization of the black soldier fly culture in mind, but in a private basis when it concerns information exchange. I would like to see more information flow from those groups into the international area for the betterment of this science. I see more patents than journal articles published on black soldier fly culture. Therefore, if a conference could be organized, perhaps a compendium of articles could be published that would help fill some of the gaps in published information about black soldier fly culture. I would be interested in hearing from you and others as to the interest in an International Conference on Black Soldier Fly Culture.
Kumar Katya
11 de diciembre de 2015
Looking forward to learn more and share our Experiences with you all.
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
11 de diciembre de 2015
Are you the nutritionist, Mr. Katya, who has worked with distillers grains and BSF?
Kumar Katya
11 de diciembre de 2015
Thanks Prof. Not Mr., Dr. Katya. Our team has Been working on growing BSF on Underutilised Crops, Sesbania. Results are quite encouraging, Now the BSF meal will be used to replace fish meal In Baramundi. Looking forward to learn more from Your experiences. Thanks
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
11 de diciembre de 2015
Yes, barramundi require high protein. I wonder if you are planning to feed the BSF to the barramundi stages beyond the juvenile in order to reduce the effect of low omega 3 fatty acids in the BSF.
Kumar Katya
11 de diciembre de 2015
The focus is reduction of fish meal level, omega 3 EPA and DHA could be supplied through lipid( fish oil). Shouldn't be any problem. Our worry is amino acids Profile in final diet. L
Gary J. Burtle
University of Georgia
11 de diciembre de 2015
Digestible protein has not been well studied for BSF products. So, amino acid availability may not match gross analytical data.
Oscar Arroyave Sierra
10 de junio de 2016
We have succeeded in taming the soldier fly to our conditions, mass produce larvae for flour production and management of waste from swine production.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister