Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Fish farming must improve or die

Published: May 9, 2014
Summary
Norway’s aquaculture sector has been a world leader for innovation. But much more research is needed to avoid stagnation, according to research by two University of Stavanger (UiS) professors. Economics professor Frank Asche and Ragnar Tveterås, a professor of industrial economics who also heads the centre for innovation research at the UiS, have both studied the industry for ...
Related topics
Authors:
Frank Asche
University of Stavanger (UiS) Norway
Ragnar Tveterås
University of Stavanger (UiS) Norway
Recommend
Comment
Željko Serdar
13 de mayo de 2014
We prefer Recirculation Systems. Combining the unique split loop concept with components of superior quality enables our experienced engineers to tailor each system to perfectly meet the biological requiremens of any specie both in fresh- and in saltwater. The use of a special microparticle filter provides crystal clear water without fine particles that could otherwise damage the gills of sensitive fish. A standard Recirculation System will treat the effluent water from the fish tanks as follows: 1. Mechanical Filter - removing solid particles larger than 50 microns. 2. UV Filter - controlling bacterial dynamics and ecto-parasites. 3. CO2 Stripper - removing CO2, nitrogen and sulphide residues. 4. Bio Filter - removing organic matter and ammonia products. 5. Micro Particle Filter - removing suspended particles in the 2-50 micron range. The production unit design is imperative for a successful rearing facility, and the solution depends highly on the behavioral pattern of the species. The tank system should be designed to optimize the water flow characteristics so that exact water exchange rates for the different species and fish sizes can be achieved. For any type of tank, the inclination of the bottom has no importance with regards to the self-cleaning effect, but it makes complete draining possible when the tank is emptied. CCRES TEAM
Recommend
chioma anikpo
28 de mayo de 2014
fish farming must improve or die got me thinking and when I think, I write down my ideas. In Nigeria, fish farming has encountered a lot of challenges certainly not due to economic interests but basically due to inept policies as well as government bureaucracy. Now there is considerable improvements in this sector which suggests positively that fish farming must improve. I am happy to have read this piece from NORWAY and hope to write down in a paper the reasons why it should improve lest die.
Recommend
Hadley Earl
22 de julio de 2014
I didn't finish reading the article but "fish farming must improve or die" caught my attention. I live here in the Philippines and in my area there are still some who owns fish farms and that is where they get their money to support the family. I think it should be improved so that the locals can supply our town and we will no longer import from other areas.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.