Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Can plant extracts replace antibiotic growth promoters?

Published: April 29, 2014
Summary
The livestock industry is currently moving towards a reduction in the use of antibiotic growth promoters in order to prevent the emergence of antibiotic-resistant strains in humans. Feeds without antibiotics are a reality in the European Union and in South Korea now, while other countries are looking into ways to control them, such as United States or Australia. Even in China, after the antibioti...
Authors:
Teresa M. Agulles Teixidó
PlusVet Animal Health
Follow
Qi Wenjuan
PlusVet Animal Health
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Paul Walker Thompson
1 de mayo de 2014
Dear Teresa Agulles-Teixido and Qi Wenjuan, I found your article very interesting, with a lot of information that I did not know, and I felt it was very well written. I would like to say to you two, "A job very well done!". PWT
PlusVet Animal Health
2 de mayo de 2014
Dear Mr. Walker, many thanks for your kind comments!
Winnie Babirye
4 de mayo de 2014
Dear teresa, I think its good begining and what i dont understand if the sale of antibiotics to african countries can stop how do you reflect on that
PlusVet Animal Health
5 de mayo de 2014
Dear Winnie, First I want to highlight that here we are talking only about antibiotics for prevention, not for treatment. I have little experience in African markets, but I guess that sooner or later it will follow the global trend by reducing the use of AGP. However, this process takes time as it requires the combined efforts of nutritionists and farm managers, a change in legislation and tighter controls of the food safety authorities. As we discuss in the article, eliminating AGP is possible, but before reducing antibiotics there must be changes in the composition of feed, improvements in biosafety, a management system that reduces stress and addition of the right feed additives that help digestive health. Regards! Teresa
DrFayyaz Ganie
Truevet Animal Nutrition
12 de mayo de 2014

@ Teresa you may go through my write up also.

Superbug Threat: A ticking Bomb

PlusVet Animal Health
13 de mayo de 2014
Dear Dr. Fayaz, your article is very interesting and I agree with it 100%. Thank you very much for sharing! Teresa
DrFayyaz Ganie
Truevet Animal Nutrition
13 de mayo de 2014
@ Teresa Thank you! I have been working on veterinary Phytogenics\alternative technologies from past 3 years. i have IP right for one phytochemical based Anit-coccidial,gut health & Growth promoter. i will like to share with you & also in the process learn from you.Please get in touch drfaganie at the rate g mail dot com. regards, Dr Fayaz DVM,MBA
Forest Lin
ADM Aditivos
27 de mayo de 2014

I fully agree with Teresa, plant extracts can replace AGP if you have better farm management, but the major problem is the stability of plant extract and ingredient variability each batch, so you have to select the products with science publications in peer magazine and pure molecules ingredients instead of plant grinding, meanwhile, the production technology for ingredients protection is another key point for it.

Best regards

Forest Lin

Cor Arts
Arts Project Support
28 de mayo de 2014

A plant extract contains a lot of different compounds that act synergistic with each other. To garantee the stability of each batch you have to standardize the extraction procedure and you have to standardize the concentration using a standard compound present in the extract.

Pure molecules have the disadvantage that you isolate them from the natural surroundings. The biological activities of an isolated compound might be different from that one present in a plant extract.

Best regards,
Dr. Cor J.M. Arts

Forest Lin
ADM Aditivos
28 de mayo de 2014
Dear Dr.Cor J.M.Arts, I fully agree with you!!!that's the reason why I think we should select the products with more science evidence in research by publications in peer magazines, such as the magazine like "Nature","animal science" etc.so the simple blending products with silica or other carriers will be the big problem in product stability. Best Regards Forest
Bharat Mane
29 de mayo de 2014
I agree plant extracts can make a difference and do have a role to play. We are promoting products of EW Nutrition in Maharashtra, these products are essential oils based products and we have seen very encouraging results. Regards Bharat Mane
TALHI Faouzi
Maroc Agroveto
30 de mayo de 2014
we try to commercializ in Morocco a new product that contain an extract of chinese plant called Artemisia annua , we are now checking the utility of this product in moroccan farm MAROC AGROVETO HOLDING agroveto.com
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister